Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
Honda Code "B" includes doing a brake inspection, front and rear. I have read that a "brake service" should be done about once a year (this video says every 6 months) which includes cleaning and lubing the guide pins and the clips and ears on the caliper. Living in the north with road salt used this is a very important maintenance step to help prevent the calipers from sticking. Here is a video of one Honda dealer and what they do during a "brake service"

Honda Brake Service
A Honda dealer's advice is driven primarily by profit. Honda's advice is driven primarily by safety and longevity.

Some Hondas include Maintenance Minder code 7 which is brake fluid replacement. The Ridgeline does not.

Nowhere in the Owner's Manual does Honda specify cleaning and lubricating any components of the braking system. I'm not saying there's no merit in doing so (we don't have salt down here in Texas), but Honda doesn't recommend this as routine maintenance.

What vehicles are they that go 150k without fluid change?
I'll bet there are lots of vehicles on the road with brake fluid that is older than 150K miles. Obviously, there are people on this very forum who do not or did not realize that some manufacturers specify scheduled brake fluid replacement.

My father's '97 Ranger and my step-father's '06 Silverado both had over 200K miles and the brake fluid was never changed. The brakes worked fine. It may or may not be worth nothing that my father was gentle gentle on brakes and my step-father rarely uses them. :)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nowhere in the Owner's Manual does Honda specify cleaning and lubricating any components of the braking system. I'm not saying there's no merit in doing so (we don't have salt down here in Texas), but Honda doesn't recommend this as routine maintenance.
Honda doesn't recommend replacing the original radiator on the GenI either . . .
Salt is just one factor. You use your brakes in Texas. It's dusty and hot in Texas too. If one is in hilly / mountainous terrain add that to the list. . .
Experience (both personal and on this forum) on the GenI has shown that the guide pins are prone to seizing well before the brake pads would be otherwise due. There isn't much reason to think that the GenII's similar system wouldn't be prone as well.
IMHO, for LONG TERM brake system reliability, periodically tending to the guide pins and pad mounting surfaces is a must.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to chime in here and it won't be a popular. I'm 59 years old and have owned/leased everything from a 1976 Vega ( GT) to 911's,Vette's and everything in between. I am as anal as it gets about maintaining my vehicles from washing and claying/waxing them regularly to mechanical maintenance and I think the latter is way over thought these days and on these forums. Oil is 0 times better that it was 30 years ago. The components of most modern cars follow the same pattern so why are we overly concerned about changing every fluid every 01k miles? It's not necessary. Brake fluid every 3 years? Maybe if you live in New York City and use your ride for an Uber and put 60k miles a year on it.

I have a friend/ ex-business associate who even though he makes a huge amount of money buys ( never leases) Infiniti's and Acura's and drives them until the wheels fall off at 200k miles doing minimal if no maintenance other than gas,oil and tires. He ticks me off when he says " yep I drove this 2001 Acura for 200k miles and never did anything but change the oil and new tires. Either he is lying of we are all nuts???
I am 71 years young and I can't agree with you more. Like you I have owned countless cars and trucks over the years, none beaters, i really can't remember when I changed the brake fluid intentionally, maybe when bleeding became a PITA sometimes i change was inadvertently done, lol.
I do change it in my harley once in a while only because its a harley, haha
Each to his own, just saying, my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,021 Posts
Honda doesn't recommend replacing the original radiator on the GenI either . . .
Salt is just one factor. You use your brakes in Texas. It's dusty and hot in Texas too. If one is in hilly / mountainous terrain add that to the list. . .
Experience (both personal and on this forum) on the GenI has shown that the guide pins are prone to seizing well before the brake pads would be otherwise due. There isn't much reason to think that the GenII's similar system wouldn't be prone as well.
IMHO, for LONG TERM brake system reliability, periodically tending to the guide pins and pad mounting surfaces is a must.
My Ridgeline sees very little salt. I generally drive the beater Civic when the roads get salted for the few times a year we see that sort of weather. And when I do drive the Ridgeline in that kind of weather, we typically have significant snow depth to make it worthwhile. I also hose off the underside of the vehicle before pulling into the garage to get off as much of the salt as possible.

That being said, I rotate my tires every OCI (unless doing annual oil changes due to low mileage)... or about every 6500 miles. I often find one or more of the rear guide pins frozen and have to free it and re-grease it. Doing that allows me to comfortably and safely take my pads down to 2-2.5mm (1mm is the service limit) and I got between 75-80k on the rear pads on my Ridge. The fronts are still the OEM pads as I approach 120k miles. I've not seen a seized front guide pin on my Hondas. Yet.

I also change the brake fluid every 3-ish years. And those who know me know I am big on preventative maintenance, so my mx routine is predictable.

I know there are outliers who never change fluids and reportedly never experience issues. I prefer to keep my vehicles in top operating condition and find comfort in driving older but reliable vehicles. Out of 5 vehicles, none have less than 120k miles. I'd drive long distance in any of them tomorrow. Well, except for the 2006 Pilot and 2008 Ridgeline which are currently due A136 service and the Ridgeline is also due a TB/WP service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2019 RTL-E. Absolutely the worst brakes ever put on a vehicle. Would do better putting a hole in the floorboard and dragging my foot. All the talk of contaminated brake fluid, yada, yada, yada. Took the vehicle to the dealer, Midlands Honda. Had an appointment, still waited 2 hours for the vehicle to move. They said the brakes were fine but out of courtesy they bled the brakes. Basically gave the vehicle a "sunbath." This week I am going to have the brake fluid replaced. I am willing to spend the money for safety even though Honda is not. I will post if the replacement solves the problem.

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
2019 RTL-E. Absolutely the worst brakes ever put on a vehicle. Would do better putting a hole in the floorboard and dragging my foot. All the talk of contaminated brake fluid, yada, yada, yada. Took the vehicle to the dealer, Midlands Honda. Had an appointment, still waited 2 hours for the vehicle to move. They said the brakes were fine but out of courtesy they bled the brakes. Basically gave the vehicle a "sunbath." This week I am going to have the brake fluid replaced. I am willing to spend the money for safety even though Honda is not. I will post if the replacement solves the problem.
Does the ABS activate if you stomp the brake pedal on dry pavement?

81 - 88 of 88 Posts