Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fooling w/ the auto all door unlock in park feature when I first got my Ridge. I couldn't get it to work using the Owners Manual.(I have since gotten it to work using the quick start guide on the first try, the instructions are slightly different)
Anyway, I contacted the Dealership and they sent me a procedure that was supposed to work but at the top of the sheet it had Civic/Ridgeline hand written on it. I tried several combinations of it and somehow I ended up disabling the 30 sec auto re-lock feature. Personally I didn't like that feature forgetful as I am, it was only a matter of time till I locked my keys in it. If anyone is interested in messing w/ it I can scan it @ work & post it for testing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sure. I would like to see that.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I feel stupid asking, but this procedure will only apply to build dates 09-05 and up right?

·
Registered
802 Posts
DatSumbch said:
Personally I didn't like that feature forgetful as I am, it was only a matter of time till I locked my keys in it. If anyone is interested in messing w/ it I can scan it @ work & post it for testing.
:confused: The auto re-lock has nothing to do with locking your keys in the car unless you left a window open and tossed them in. Personally, I don't mind the feature, I just wish opening the trunk would deactivate it as well since a lot of times you (a) unlock the trunk to put something in and then (b) go to get in the truck.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Yes, its practically impossible to lock your keys in the Ridgeline.
Someone did. He parked, took the keys out, went to the back seat, took some groceries out, dropped the keys without knowing, closed the door, went in the house............;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Someone did. He parked, took the keys out, went to the back seat, took some groceries out, dropped the keys without knowing, closed the door, went in the house............;)
How did the doors get locked? You cannot lock them from the inside, get out and close the door, it will auto unlock.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
DoctorJ said:
How did the doors get locked? You cannot lock them from the inside, get out and close the door, it will auto unlock.
Yes you can. If the key is out of the ignition, you can lock the driver's door (which locks all doors), then when you close the door the little red security light starts flashing and you can't get back in without a key.

·
Registered
953 Posts
swampler said:
Yes you can. If the key is out of the ignition, you can lock the driver's door (which locks all doors), then when you close the door the little red security light starts flashing and you can't get back in without a key.
Hmmm... mine auto unlocks if I lock from the inside and get out. Maybe it has something to do with the way you get out or are already out. I will check it later and reconfirm.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
swampler said:
yeah, i guess i left out that step. here it is. you leave the drivers door open, open the rear driver side door, take the groceries out, close that door, push down on the lock tab of the drivers door and close it. Now your keys are locked in the backseat where you dropped it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Hmmm... mine auto unlocks if I lock from the inside and get out. Maybe it has something to do with the way you get out or are already out. I will check it later and reconfirm.
Did you lock with the keys in the ignition? Only way I can think of is if the driver's seat senses your weight and you lock it sitting in the seat versus standing just outside the truck. I believe I've always done this while standing and also pushing the actual lock down, not the switch. I'll have to try it while still sitting.

I actually don't lock the door this way very often. Don't really see the need with the key remote.

I have a feeling that the thread for "Things you don't know about your truck" is going to have a new post soon. :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Do you actually know this guy, Tex? :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Maybe they mean if you lock the driver's door from the back seat, once the driver's door is closed and the keys are out of the ignition... then when you close the back door, the car is locked. I haven't tried this myself, I'm just theorizing based on other Hondas that I've owned.

My fear is dropping the keys into the trunk -- so I'm extra-cautious about where I put my keys down when I'm loading/unloading the trunk, and make sure I have them in-hand (in-pocket is not sufficient) before closing the trunk.

Turned off the auto-lock, eh? That's kinda interesting... must... read... manual! (I doubt it would be something that would only apply to 9/05+ models, but hey, I've been wrong before! ;) )

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
flymuck said:
Maybe they mean if you lock the driver's door from the back seat, once the driver's door is closed and the keys are out of the ignition... then when you close the back door, the car is locked. I haven't tried this myself, I'm just theorizing based on other Hondas that I've owned.
Nope. I have personally locked the driver's door, while open, then shut the door and it stays locked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh my goodness, this would be great and the 30 sec autolock is a big pet peeve of mine. If you can post it I would be in oyur debt.

Much thanks and regards,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I screwed up all, Im really sry, It is not disabled. I thought only opening the drivers door disabled it. I didnt know that opening the rear door would do it but it does clearly state that any door does in the manual on pg 86. So I only thought it was. Chalk it up to only having the ridge a week and that I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last nite

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It's OK, Dats. We have all been guilty of getting overly enthusiastic about our Ridge at some point.

I wanted to respond DoctorJ who said it was nearly impossible to lock your keys in this truck. That is not so. It's no harder than any other vehicle. You absolutely can lock the door with the buttons and have it stay locked. All you have to do is leave you keys inside and lock it from one of the front doors.

For clarification, the driver's window sill button locks the truck and can be shut before any of the other doors and the truck will remain locked. Something that I'll cross post in the "did you know your Ridge does this?" thread is that you can also lock and set the alarm system from the passenger's side. From the discussion on this thread, it does not appear that many of you may know this.

On the front seat passenger's side, pushing the doorsill button only locks the passenger's door. However, if the passenger is the last one out, they can lock the entire truck by pushing the armrest lock button.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts