Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the 15 month old Ridgeline in a couple weeks ago for the Emissions System problem alert. Thought it was some person in NJ who was a gorilla when filling my tank. They replaced the fuel filler neck.

A few days later, same alert. I had to travel, so it sat for a week before I could bring it in.

This time, they looked it all over and said that the gas tank and lines (presumably electrical, as there are no gas leaks -- or maybe both) have $3000 worth of rodent damage. Honda said to call my insurance company to have them come take pictures. There's no guarantee they'll pay for it (no idea if my insurance will cover that). Of course, if they fix that, it'll probably just happen again and again. I know from my Pilot, that once you have rodent issues, they never go away.

I park outside. We don't have a garage, but we do live in the woods. Yes, lots of mice and squirrels here. Our neighbor feeds the birds which spills a lot of seed and other bird food on the ground, attracting even more rodents. I used to have problems with my 2005 Pilot with mice nesting in the cabin fan every year, but I thought I was basically done with it when I got rid of it and bought the RL.

No signs of this in our parking area (no nesting materials, no bits of wire or anything)

So...anyone else having their Ridgeline turned into premium rodent food?

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Problem is the wiring is tasty based on the eco friendly Soy bean. You need to buy a vehicle that has good old petroleum based wiring. And even then they'll probably chew on it.

Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
While my experience with this is commercial insurance and heavy equipment. You typically need a vermin rider on your insurance and farmers are the rare ones who pay for this rider. We had a albino squirrel that did 4 separate incidents to the tune of about $6,000.00. We knew it was albino when we brought one piece in to replace wiring harness the second time and shop found albino babies in machine. We ultimately had to eliminate the source to solve the problem. Will be curious to see what your insurance company tells you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yes, I saw most of those threads. I was just a bit surprised that this was around the gas tank. I think now they meant the wiring harness around the tank, and not the fuel lines or the tank itself. TBD, as my wife took the call.

This is what I had to deal with in my 2005 pilot. I use to keep mouse traps on the floor.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychlist1972/sets/72157665096955272

Insurance is going to pay for it once they go and take photos. But I bet it keeps happening.

Does anyone know if Honda is still using the soy-based wire insulation?

Pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insurance: Because it's a new vehicle, they cover this under the comprehensive insurance.

It'll cost me the deductible. I need to see if I can get them (and Honda) to agree to cover everything with that rodent tape.

Pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is the wiring is tasty based on the eco friendly Soy bean. You need to buy a vehicle that has good old petroleum based wiring. And even then they'll probably chew on it.

Steve
So, is Honda still doing this? I thought they stopped in 2016.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
Most effective control is the good ol' mousetrap, baited with some peanut butter.

If you want to try non-lethal avoidance, pure wintergreen oil (the real, expensive stuff) is supposed to be a good repellant, and generally smells nice.

Offer to assist your neighbor with purchasing a spill-proof bird feeder. Too many mice and you will soon get predators that like them, including feral cats, as well as snakes that like to take refuge in your house (especially if you have a basement).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most effective control is the good ol' mousetrap, baited with some peanut butter.

If you want to try non-lethal avoidance, pure wintergreen oil (the real, expensive stuff) is supposed to be a good repellant, and generally smells nice.

Offer to assist your neighbor with purchasing a spill-proof bird feeder. Too many mice and you will soon get predators that like them, including feral cats, as well as snakes that like to take refuge in your house (especially if you have a basement).
Thanks.

We park outside, so mouse traps are more challenging, even if you cover them with a clay pot like we used to.

We have black rat snakes, copperheads, foxes, owls, hawks (more than once we've seen bloody feathers back when we used to have a bird feeder), and more here. Predators aren't a problem; the massive amount of mice (at least three kinds that I've seen), voles, squirrels, and more is the issue.

No such thing as a spill-proof feeder here; the squirrels and larger birds (including all the woodpeckers) always managed to make them extra-spilly :)

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Not feeding the wildlife is a better idea. Then they don't come around. Hopefully your neighbor buys vehicles that have tasty wiring and he's getting a bigger taste of the expense than you are.

Steve

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
So, is Honda still doing this? I thought they stopped in 2016.

Pete
Several manufacturers including Honda, Toyota, and Subaru have been hit with class-action lawsuits over soy-based wiring as recently as last year. Ford and Volvo have had problems, too.

Here's Honda's statement:

"It is a long established fact that rodents are drawn to chew on electrical wiring in homes, cars, or anywhere else where they may choose to nest.
Honda introduced a rodent-deterrent tape a few years ago to help combat this age-old issue for customers who live in areas where rodents have caused prior damage. Our attempt to provide some protection for our customers against this natural behavior should not lead to the assumption that Honda created the issue in the first place.

Further, Honda sources parts, including electrical wiring and wire harnesses, from several different suppliers who each have their own proprietary formula for wire insulation and wire harnesses. Honda has not received any confirmation from its various suppliers that the wiring insulation and harnesses used in Honda vehicles are soy-based, as the plaintiffs allege. Honda is not aware of studies or information indicating that any of the wiring insulation or other components used for Honda vehicles are derived from substances that attract rodents or increase their propensity to chew on wiring or other components in engine compartments. It is Honda's understanding that rodents may seek shelter in engine components and once inside, can cause damage as a natural result of their need to chew and use material that has been chewed for nesting. Honda is not aware of any information suggesting rodents use wire insulation as a food source.

Class action lawsuits have been filed against a number of auto manufacturers alleging that vehicles contain soy-based wiring insulation and that such insulations attracts rodents to chew on the insulation. Honda believes that the class actions filed against it have no merit."
- http://6abc.com/automotive/lawsuits-rodents-chewing-through-car-wires/2094944/

The answer to your question is: Honda (and others) are probably still using soy-based wiring and they won't stop until they are required by courts to pay out more money than what they save by using it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
Thanks.

We park outside, so mouse traps are more challenging, even if you cover them with a clay pot like we used to.

We have black rat snakes, copperheads, foxes, owls, hawks (more than once we've seen bloody feathers back when we used to have a bird feeder), and more here. Predators aren't a problem; the massive amount of mice (at least three kinds that I've seen), voles, squirrels, and more is the issue.

No such thing as a spill-proof feeder here; the squirrels and larger birds (including all the woodpeckers) always managed to make them extra-spilly :)

Pete
We have bird feeders in our front yard. They spill seed, but we have a lot of wild turkeys that keep it cleaned up. Tell your neighbor to get some chickens or guinea hens if they insist on feeding the sqiirrels. ;)

Also, I've nailed a 4x8 sheet of slick plastic around my ash tree that has the feeders. It has proven effective at keeping squirrels and raccoons from raiding the feeders. The plastic was black, so i oversprayed it with some gray, olive and brown spray paints to create a camo look....blends in well with the environmemt.

My Dad wired up a cake pan under his feeder to try to catch seeds. Big problem was wind blowing seeds out, but he was more worried about seed loss than mice, as this was on the farm with lots of cats around.

And yes, I've had to tether my mouse traps to keep feral cats, coons, skunks, possums, etc., from running off with them. :)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Ironically, we keep our cars out of the garage rather than in, fewer mice problems out than in...

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
If you could identify where the issue happened, Maybe use the Rubberized under-body coating to spray the wire loom?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I had a surprise while changing my oil. I opened the hood and found a fairly large nest made it of sticks and leaves, cleaned it all out, found the same issue in my two Subaru. After speaking to an environmentalist I found that rodents squirrels in my case could not stand the smell of peppermint. Upon learning this I purchased some peppermint extract and soaked cotton balls in it which I than placed in various spots under my hood, I also soaked tree air fresheners in the peppermint extract and hung them under my hood. Since doing so I have not seen any signs of rodents in my engine compartments.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Insurance: Because it's a new vehicle, they cover this under the comprehensive insurance.

It'll cost me the deductible. I need to see if I can get them (and Honda) to agree to cover everything with that rodent tape.

Pete
Good ol' Honda. Charging its customers to apply rodent tape to soy-based wiring for a known design flaw. Earth Dreams technology, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a surprise while changing my oil. I opened the hood and found a fairly large nest made it of sticks and leaves, cleaned it all out, found the same issue in my two Subaru. After speaking to an environmentalist I found that rodents squirrels in my case could not stand the smell of peppermint. Upon learning this I purchased some peppermint extract and soaked cotton balls in it which I than placed in various spots under my hood, I also soaked tree air fresheners in the peppermint extract and hung them under my hood. Since doing so I have not seen any signs of rodents in my engine compartments.
Mice or squirrels have hung out in my engine bay recently, but no signs of damage... "knock on hood". I'm gonna have to try the peppermint trick.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts