Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, got a recommendation from Honda telling me at 30k mileage i need the below work done:
1. Brake fluid exchange
2. Transmission service
3. Fuel induction service
4. Rear differential service
Total cost around $1000, are any of these services REALLY needed? If you were to pick which would be the top priority? I’ve had my RL since 2017 and don’t tow or do anything crazy with it just daily driving..thanks for your thoughts!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
627 Posts
First off, nice looking truck! Second, the dealer is trying to get money out of you. Is the maintenance minder on? If so, what code?

If it were my truck, I would do the trans dump and fill due to reading on here about potential trans issues as well as seeing some oil analyses from them. Brake fluid is recommended every 2 years, IIRC, but I know many who never mess with it and it is fine. Rear diff is supposed to be on maintenance minder at ~15k and then every 30k after that. So assuming you got that done at 15k, it is not needed again right now. Fuel induction sounds like the dealer trying to suck some more money out of you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking around for zroger73 so he doesn't catch me doing this.................................

.................................Hey Dillon iffrig, what is your Maintenance Minder telling you?

Also, here is an additional reference that will get you close:
View attachment 421397

Bill
This is a great tracker thanks, i don’t have anything showing on the maintenance minder no codes at all, i was deployed for about two years so it was sitting for a good 6-7 months at a time turned on a few times a month that’s it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off, nice looking truck! Second, the dealer is trying to get money out of you. Is the maintenance minder on? If so, what code?

If it were my truck, I would do the trans dump and fill due to reading on here about potential trans issues as well as seeing some oil analyses from them. Brake fluid is recommended every 2 years, IIRC, but I know many who never mess with it and it is fine. Rear diff is supposed to be on maintenance minder at ~15k and then every 30k after that. So assuming you got that done at 15k, it is not needed again right now. Fuel induction sounds like the dealer trying to suck some more money out of you.
Thank you! I was determined to make it look different then the pilot lol and nope no codes at all i just had the oil changed and this is what they recommended i never had the rear diff changed either being that I’ve had no codes and would the any of this be DIY or better to spend the money? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
477 Posts
That chart while helpful as a rule of thumb, is not for current models.
as others stated, you only need to “listen to your truck”, ie the Maintenance Minder. Read the owners manual section on this.

brake fluid flush: this is maintenance minder sub item 7 and will pop up every 3 years. (Edit maybe only some vehicles like Pilot show this on MM, Ridgeline might not yet Either way 3 years is what Honda recommends, but it can probably go 5 years without issues - now it’s time to think about changing it)

transmission service: maintenance sub item 3. Truck will pop this based on driving conditions, but probably about 30k. With the number of issues the 6 speed transmission have had, I would religiously service it at least every 30k. Don’t forget if you have AWD that transfer case needs service too.

fuel induction service: unnecessary dealer ”service”, not recommended by Honda

rear diff service: maintenance sub item 6, will pop around 15k then every 30k or so.

Also MM codes will not pop until you hit 15% oil life, so you will wait to see those.
But you have a special case of very low mileage, so if They haven’t been done at all, then purely based on the time (5 years) it’s a good idea to go ahead and change those fluids, if they don’t pop up on next MM.

anyhow page 511 in your owners manual has the MM table which is all you really need to follow for now.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you have changed oil before, the trans dump and fill and rear diff change are both easy to do. The trans isn't required, but for me, the dump and fill every 10-15k will help keep fresher fluid. There is a big thread on premature failures of the 6spd. While it sounds bad, we are still talking a relatively small percentage of folks on here. It isn't worrisome enough for me to decide to get rid of the truck, just going to change fluid more often than recommended to hopefully help keep it in good running condition.

Here is a good thread on maintenance, which has links to threads on replacing the fluids: Maintenance Reference

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That chart while helpful as a rule of thumb, is not for current models.
as others stated, you only need to “listen to your truck”, ie the Maintenance Minder. Read the owners manual section on this.

brake fluid flush: this is maintenance minder sub item 7 and will pop up every 3 years. (Edit maybe only some vehicles like Pilot show this on MM, Ridgeline might not yet Either way 3 years is what Honda recommends, but it can probably go 5 years without issues - now it’s time to think about changing it)

transmission service: maintenance sub item 3. Truck will pop this based on driving conditions, but probably about 30k. With the number of issues the 6 speed transmission have had, I would religiously service it at least every 30k. Don’t forget if you have AWD that transfer case needs service too.

fuel induction service: unnecessary dealer ”service”, not recommended by Honda

rear diff service: maintenance sub item 6, will pop around 15k then every 30k or so.

Also MM codes will not pop until you hit 15% oil life, so you will wait to see those.
But you have a special case of very low mileage, so if They haven’t been done at all, then purely based on the time (5 years) it’s a good idea to go ahead and change those fluids, if they don’t pop up on next MM.

anyhow page 511 in your owners manual has the MM table which is all you really need to follow for now.
That must be why i never got a MM code because i usually change my oil before it gets to 15% with my OCD. is there another way to find the code without waiting on the 15%? I mean i could use the chart but I’d like the truck to tell me as well. I think I’ll definitely get the trans done as many are saying and rear diff since it’s been so long

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have changed oil before, the trans dump and fill and rear diff change are both easy to do. The trans isn't required, but for me, the dump and fill every 10-15k will help keep fresher fluid. There is a big thread on premature failures of the 6spd. While it sounds bad, we are still talking a relatively small percentage of folks on here. It isn't worrisome enough for me to decide to get rid of the truck, just going to change fluid more often than recommended to hopefully help keep it in good running condition.

Here is a good thread on maintenance, which has links to threads on replacing the fluids: Maintenance Reference
Yeah that makes a lot of sense i think the trans is seeming more like a must thanks for the reference!

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can change your oil more often, just manually keep track of your OCIs and only reset the MM when it hits 15% so you can see what other maintenances are needed.
Just go ahead and change those fluids now and keep track of what mileage you did them at.

·
Registered
477 Posts
And if you dont feel comfortable doing those service yourself shop around, as even an expensive dealer here would charge not more than about $400 for all three. But as gti said, if you can change your oil, you can do the transmission and rear diff and save $$$

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And if you dont feel comfortable doing those service yourself shop around, as even an expensive dealer here would charge not more than about $400 for all three. But as gti said, if you can change your oil, you can do the transmission and rear diff and save $$$
That’s the thing i don’t get, the pricing seems outrageous and I’m assuming it’s just because it’s Honda and people assume it’s best to go with the brand? I will try and find another shop and hope they are legit. I think i could do it but my time costs more to me and i know it would take me a long time to get it done

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Just for comparison purposes only, here is what our dealer charges for the various services.

Font Document Circle Paper Number

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Bill

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is if your going to non-Honda shop. Make sure they are going to use Honda branded fluids.

When I was working at a Honda dealership all (or most) the local shops bought the fluids from us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would do transmission and not worry about the rest for now. Maybe down the road do the differential. Thats why I hate going to dealer. I always feel dirty after going to them!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh yeah +1 to using Honda fluids (For everything except engine oil & wiper fluid). Some have recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF, but I personally would stick to Honda fluids, at least while Im under warranty.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Oh yeah +1 to using Honda fluids (For everything except engine oil & wiper fluid). Some have recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF, but I personally would stick to Honda fluids, at least while Im under warranty.
Very interesting statement where not even the Owner's Manual requires Honda brand fluids to maintain the warranty:

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

The last time we had our Ridgeline into the dealer for it's oil change, (lifetime oil changes came with the sale), I asked what oil they were using and was told Mobil-1.

Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very interesting statement where not even the Owner's Manual requires Honda brand fluids to maintain the warranty:
Agreed for the engine oil. But for other fluids, I would not test Honda's cadre of legal hounds.
My 2020 (with 9-speed) manual has a specifications section:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Throughout the manual there are some limited provisions for temporary use of other fluids, and what you should do if you do have to use something else, but in general they are very adamant about using Honda fluids.

Font Number Document Circle

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

Font Screenshot Number

The vehicles with the Honda 6-speed transmission (RL 17-19) say:

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
8 Posts
First let me state I have no issue with preforming maintenance as needed, but not sure about y'all, but I quit trusting "dealers" service advisors several vehicles ago. Especially @$125/hr. (that's very high here in MN). Anyway I had to take my '17 RTL-T (45K mi.) in for the hood latch recall thingy and they hit me up with most of these charges too. So I took it to my regular shop I've used for 15+ yrs., fully willing to pay him for each of these services, and was advised to do none of them. Each fluid was inspected and tested and all were good. They could've easily said I needed each service, but nope. Said come back in a year and will test again. They've never screwed me over yet (unless they were really good at it 😉), so I guess I trust them.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts