Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Good question. I'm wondering whether the Ridgeline will be around for a third generation. I'm thinking that we are still in the Gen 2 +.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What criteria would need to be met to call a RL 3Gen?
Thanks
2d1c
Hmmm...... G3? Well,,,, I can think of a few things right now.
1: Wouldn't it be nice if Honda could increase the towing capability to maybe 6500 lbs. That would make the RL more in line with other mid sized trucks.
2: A locking rear differential would definitely attract buyers.
3: Come on Honda, you know you could easily achieve over 300hp and similar torque. The RL already has good power, but the more power equals more sales.
These are three changes that would make me consider trading my current RL. Just saying.......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Better looking front end. It should be a bit boxier and less rounded.

Cooled front seats.

Updated dash with a better entertainment system.

More HP and MPG.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I can gather so far in this thread, to call the RL 3G would be based on a new transmission, engine and body. And if those changes don't happen all at once, would it be considered a refresh rather than a redesign?
2d1c

·
Administrator
13,698 Posts
A new generation of vehicle is associated with an all-new chassis. Historically, Honda "cars" have been on a five-year cycle while "trucks" are generally six years. Refreshes typically happen after the first three model years.

Assuming there will be a 3G Ridgeline and it won't be left to wither on the vine like the 1G, don't expect an all-new model until the 2023 model year. We're now on the 2.5G with the 2020 refresh.

The shared platform used by the Passport, Pilot, and MDX has been around since 2013 and is getting long in the tooth by today's standards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A new generation of vehicle is associated with an all-new chassis. Historically, Honda "cars" have been on a five-year cycle while "trucks" are generally six years. Refreshes typically happen after the first three model years.

Assuming there will be a 3G Ridgeline and it won't be left to wither on the vine like the 1G, don't expect an all-new model until the 2023 model year. We're now on the 2.5G with the 2020 refresh.

The shared platform used by the Passport, Pilot, and MDX has been around since 2013 and is getting long in the tooth by today's standards.
Do refreshes ever come with refreshed grilles or other body style changes?

·
Administrator
13,698 Posts
Do refreshes ever come with refreshed grilles or other body style changes?
Plastic parts like bumper covers, grills, facials, lighting, etc. are almost always changed for refreshes. Metal parts like body panels and chassis components are usually not changed - it's too expensive.

The only Honda I can think of that received sheet metal changes in between generations was the 9th gen Civic that was all-new for 2012 and so bad that a major "emergency" refresh was done for 2013.

The first generation Ridgeline received no sheet metal changes at all over its nine year run.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Plastic parts like bumper covers, grills, facials, lighting, etc. are almost always changed for refreshes. Metal parts like body panels and chassis components are usually not changed - it's too expensive.

The only Honda I can think of that received sheet metal changes in between generations was the 9th gen Civic that was all-new for 2012 and so bad that a major "emergency" refresh was done for 2013.

The first generation Ridgeline received no sheet metal changes at all over its nine year run.
I see! So were you surprised the 2020 had no plastic part changes?

·
Registered
293 Posts

Remember back in the day when the big three made very obvious body changes every year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm okay with staying with a second generation and Honda spending all it's efforts on quality improvement. But if a 3rd gen is mandatory, my wish is for simplicity, easily and inexpensively maintained and repaired by their owners

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm okay with staying with a second generation and Honda spending all it's efforts on quality improvement. But if a 3rd gen is mandatory, my wish is for simplicity, easily and inexpensively maintained and repaired by their owners

Something like this ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts