Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
If you read this review of the Pilot, it is average and came in a close last place. And IMO its ahead of the Ridgeline since it actually had a refresh. Meanwhile, the RL is rated one of the best in its segment. Ironic, isn't it. RL is fortunate because it rides the Pilot's coat tails in a different segment. They say the midzsize is a competitive segment, I don't think so, the current entries are stale and nothing new, minimal investment in the products. Take a look at Chevy, Toyota, Ford and Nissan. It might as well be 2015 or earlier, the trucks are virtually the same. Sales are solid so there is no rush to develop all new trucks. At least keep up with the innovations of the full sizers or just give me a smaller version of a full size. Colorado/Tacoma come close in this regard as they have multiple cabs/powertrain offerings. Perhaps an all new Pilot will bring some advantages/disadvantages to the RL. A new front end will help but an increase in luxury and materials while ignoring trucky things could be a negative. IMO, the Palisade and Telluride will have a lot to do with the 3rd gen RL as that's the standard the Pilot will aim to beat. This also puts the MDX in a bit or a predicament since the Telluride can probably compete there as well. This will benefit the Passport and the Odyssey but probably not as much for the RL. If those other vehicles see a sales increase, it could make the RL vulnerable for the chopping block given the Alabama production limitations. RL will always be a platform share vehicle/niche vehicle so a lot of what if's here. At a crossroads IMO.

Registered
If you read this review of the Pilot, it is average and came in a close last place. And IMO its ahead of the Ridgeline since it actually had a refresh. Meanwhile, the RL is rated one of the best in its segment. Ironic, isn't it. RL is fortunate because it rides the Pilot's coat tails in a different segment. They say the midzsize is a competitive segment, I don't think so, the current entries are stale and nothing new, minimal investment in the products. Take a look at Chevy, Toyota, Ford and Nissan. It might as well be 2015 or earlier, the trucks are virtually the same. Sales are solid so there is no rush to develop all new trucks. At least keep up with the innovations of the full sizers or just give me a smaller version of a full size. Colorado/Tacoma come close in this regard as they have multiple cabs/powertrain offerings. Perhaps an all new Pilot will bring some advantages/disadvantages to the RL. A new front end will help but an increase in luxury and materials while ignoring trucky things could be a negative. IMO, the Palisade and Telluride will have a lot to do with the 3rd gen RL as that's the standard the Pilot will aim to beat. This also puts the MDX in a bit or a predicament since the Telluride can probably compete there as well. This will benefit the Passport and the Odyssey but probably not as much for the RL. If those other vehicles see a sales increase, it could make the RL vulnerable for the chopping block given the Alabama production limitations. RL will always be a platform share vehicle/niche vehicle so a lot of what if's here. At a crossroads IMO.

Good point! (y)

Registered
1. "Adventure Model" with more ground clearance, better stance, and improved differential cooling - not looking for a rock crawler, but something with a little more capability.
2. Improve the looks / face.
3. Hybrid (Just steal the powerplant from the 2020 Acura RLX Hybrid Sport. Done).

Registered

Good thoughts. I too have found the reviews of the Ridgeline somewhat amusing in that everyone talks about how great it drives and rides while the Pilot gets much less love. I can proomise you that the Pilot handles and rides as well if not better than the Ridge. You are right that the bar is pretty low for the midsize truck market.
If the Telluride becomes a sales hit with its more rugged yet upscale appearance, Honda is really going to have to rethink the soccer mom inspired Pilot aesthetic. The Passport is only a half a$$ed attempt keepimg all the body metal pieces the same up front.
Honda is loosing ground in reliability and they have never been strong on style . They have some serious work to do on both fronts if they want to be successful.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts