Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a friend looking at a 60K 2007. Was talking about info on the internets about #4 cylinder failure but those mentions are all talking about 2006. I see the same engine was used until 2009...same issue?

What do you guys know/think about said failures? Few and far between?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Got a friend looking at a 60K 2007. Was talking about info on the internets about #4 cylinder failure but those mentions are all talking about 2006. I see the same engine was used until 2009...same issue?

Absolutely few & far between.... but it probably doesn't feel like it when you've got one. I've read this is mostly confined to earlier models..... which makes sense, since it sounds like a bad batch of heads might be the root cause.

This IS a RARE issue, albeit a characteristic one to watch for when surveying used Ridgelines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I had a feeling. When you see 30-50K units sold a year (US) and but a couple complains on the forums...sounds rare. I come from the world of European cars and when something goes wrong there are 100,001 people on their complaining.

Thanks for your input and anyone else that chimes in!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
FWIW, 2006-2008 used the same version of the J35. In 2009-2014, there were some slight changes to both the motor and some gear ratio changes in the tranny.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
It's rare, but when it happens it's catastrophic. Prevention is just to retorque the spark plugs at 50k miles.

When inspecting a used vehicle to buy -- the current owner probably would object to you putting a tool on their car. But if you explained and asked if it were ok to use a torque wrench on #4, they might go for it. AFAIK, you can't tell by listening until it's *really* bad.

Chip H.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think RTXTT has came up with a very good conclusion.
Read last post in link http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186715
hi i am new to this form but i had the same problem with my 2008 ridgeline at around 60k with the front middle spark plug. The plug backed out a few turns and oil was getting pass the plug. I replaced the plug and cleaned up the oil and everything has been fine. The truck has 92k now. After looking at the engine an the way it is set up i think the problem is with honda. You have an alumina block steal spark plug and all 3 exhaust ports coming together under the middle spark plug an expanding at different temps. I have check the temp on the exhausts after the engine has warmed up and there was about a 30 degree difference between the middle area from the 2 outer cylinder. I have not checked the temps after a good run on a hot summer day but i feel that there would be even a more difference in the temp of the 3 exhausts ports and the area of the plugs. I don't know if i am explaining this right but when you have 2 different metals expanding and cooling at different rates there is the possibility of being a problem. I be leave honda knows about this because this problem has been happening with other v6 honda engines.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,385 Posts
It's rare, but when it happens it's catastrophic. Prevention is just to retorque the spark plugs at 50k miles.

When inspecting a used vehicle to buy -- the current owner probably would object to you putting a tool on their car. But if you explained and asked if it were ok to use a torque wrench on #4, they might go for it. AFAIK, you can't tell by listening until it's *really* bad.

Chip H.
As much as I would really like to believe it, I think the the "#4 cylinder problem" is more than a loose spark plug wreaking havoc. I think that casting issues with the head have much to do with it. What's the chicken and what's the egg here? Are there two separate issues going on that have been lumped together in this forum?

Basically just because you torqued your sparkplugs doesn't mean that you won't have the cylinder issue . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
True. OTOH, loose spark plugs have been observed. Do they cause the cracked heads or do the cracked heads cause a loose plug... or neither?

So they may be related, or not. But neither should be happening.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

75k+ on my 2007 RTX, no problems. I agree, that it's a small problem with few vehicles as others have said. If the vehicle the "friend" :) is looking for I'd be looking for a documented maintenance history on this and any vehicle I'd considering purchasing as well as a mechanic's assessment of the vehicle's condition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vehicle history is nice (especially for non DIY and piece of mind) but all that would help you with is if you saw a problem area was addressed. It does nothing to tell you if the issues exists. Plus Honda one accept the radiator concern or this so they wouldn't no where to look any more then any other tech.

You have to give them specific places to look at for systemic issues.

99% of Honda mechanic couldn't find the offending washer on the bad transcooler radiator issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
#4 Spark Plug failure is real, and brutilly expensive. >$3,500 to replace head. Plus another $200 for hotel, food, and gas for my backup ride.

This happened on I-90, In January, NY Thruway near Utica, 4F and windy. Horrible place to be stranded. Thank goodness we wore long underware on the trip, or we would have gotted very cold, waiting for a tow.

Best part was, AFTER, we pulled to the side of the road, the engine check light came on for a mis-firing #4 plug. Nice warning, Honda. Yes, I'm bitter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
^^ That's probably the worst instance I've seen. And on a 2008 model, at that. I really wish we knew the root cause of this. Although it does seem to be extremely rare in that there have only been a handful of owners report issues out of many thousands of members here, it's still disheartening to see something like this happen to a Honda engine.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
BUT, you must admit looking at that picture.... this was left unattended for a LONG time to get that kind of burn! Ouch..... it's unfortunate that some people are not attuned to sensing when something's not right with their power train. BTW, THAT's why mfgs use what we impolitely refer to as "idiot lights" to tell people when something's amiss.
Unfortunately in this case, the light does not come on (I guess) in time to avoid disaster.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
On the other hand, there is a chance that this wasn't detectable until it was too late. Some who have experienced this issue have stated that the truck just all of a sudden made a pop and didn't feel right. This could have been happening for awhile, but VFR750 had no reason to think anything was wrong. It could have just all of a sudden blown out of the spark plug hole, causing extreme damage to the plug, head and coil pack. I just hope that no small parts of the plug were sucked into the engine.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
On the other hand, there is a chance that this wasn't detectable until it was too late. Some who have experienced this issue have stated that the truck just all of a sudden made a pop and didn't feel right. This could have been happening for awhile, but VFR750 had no reason to think anything was wrong. It could have just all of a sudden blown out of the spark plug hole, causing extreme damage to the plug, head and coil pack. I just hope that no small parts of the plug were sucked into the engine.
I'm always subject to being wrong just like anybody else, but looking at that plug, my estimation is that it had some serious blow by for a good long while before just all of a sudden "popping" out. ... maybe I'm wrong.
You probably noticed that none of those other "all of a sudden" posts had anywhere NEAR this kind of burn.... this looks like it's had an acetylene torch put to it. I'm just sayin'..... ;)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Once we started buying RLs, made it a every 6 month maintenance "chore" to check and re-torque all plugs with a small Neiko Pro tool that Speed suggested in a thread a while back. On my daily driver I check it every 4 months or so, very simple and quick to do. Once or twice we come across a "looser than spec" plug and simply adjust it back to spec.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just did my 105k maintance and replaced the plugs as well. Number 4 was loose and I was able to back it out with just my fingers. I had a little blow by but nothing severe. I will be making a tightness check every six months now.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
For our most recent posters, I just want to make sure we're talking about cylinder #4 and not cylinder #5.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
BUT, you must admit looking at that picture.... this was left unattended for a LONG time to get that kind of burn! Ouch..... it's unfortunate that some people are not attuned to sensing when something's not right with their power train. BTW, THAT's why mfgs use what we impolitely refer to as "idiot lights" to tell people when something's amiss.
Unfortunately in this case, the light does not come on (I guess) in time to avoid disaster.
LONG time?? what is that Less than 1 mile?? That's all it took for mine to burn a hole through the gasket cover!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts