Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,913 Posts
Other than the dark fluid and the flashing D, no issues(knock on wood). Lol I just change it often to prevent any additional problems. Always have a mechanic do flush, so don't know single or more flushes.
The question still remains - are you (or your mechanic) using OEM DW-1 Honda transmission fluid? If he's using something that isn't designed to be used in the 5AT, which is quite different from any other transmissions out there, I can certainly see the fluid breaking down quicker and being dark. Also, if your mechanic is doing a pressurized machine flush for the trans fluid, that is a BIG no-no with the 5AT. If he's simply doing a drain and fill of the fluid and is using OEM fluid, I have to agree that there is something pretty wrong with your transmission that it's burning the fluid that quickly (black = burned). I don't want to give you any anxiety about it, but your usage does not add up to black fluid after less than a year. There are folks here who didn't even know they needed to change their transmission fluid and it was still redish in color after 100k+ miles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,897 Posts
Sorry to say, but your mechanic is wrong. Every G1 had the transmission fluid cooler just in front of the radiator as OEM equipment. The only way it wouldn't be there is if someone were to have removed it, but I highly doubt that's the case because you're the original owner. Either way, the flashing D shouldn't appear after pulling a light trailer. Are you using OEM Honda DW-1 transmission fluid? When the fluid is drained and filled, is it dark in color and have a burnt smell or is it still a good red color? When you follow the fluid check procedure, does it show the proper level of fluid on the dipstick? It is possible you have a solenoid problem or the aftermarket transmission cooler that was installed is causing some sort of other issue.
Correct! The ATF cooler is standard on all trims of the G1 Ridgeline.

RL ATF cooler.png

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have to say that this past summer with temps approaching 100, I pulled a fully loaded U-haul 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailer from Boise to Seattle. I was so fully loaded that it really buffeted my 08 RTL around but it did the job and there were no lights or "drama" whatsoever. Oh, my RTL had just turned over 300,000 miles at the time. Yes, we had the A/C on too.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts