Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall, hopefully I can find some help amongst the crowd.
My '06 RL blew the #4 small light fuse the other day. Replaced the fuse and it keeps blowing everytime I turn the lights on. I checked for shorts on the 4 and 7 pin trailer harnesses and all seems well.

Checking continuity on the running/tail light harnesses shows a short between ground and the red/white running light wires.

Headlight switch seems to be working as the headlights come on, remaining dash lights still dim, and the annoying dummy dinger does its thing. Brake lights, turn signals, and hazards still function.

So two quick questions:
1 has anybody had issues like this and/or where else should I be looking for a short?
2 I keep seeing mention of a "small light relay" but where exactly is this fabled relay located? The Haynes manual has no mention of it that I can find.

Please and thank you so I can keep my favorite vehicle running and out of the stealership!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,362 Posts
Do you have the factory wiring harness installed? Or 3rd party?

Assuming you have the factory tow harness installed, perhaps you mean the trailer lighting relay?

More interior relays:

Text Line art Drawing Diagram Technical drawing Text Diagram Drawing Parallel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Speedlever.

I'm not sure where the connector came from, it was on the truck when we got it in 2008. There is currently a relay in that location shown in the drawing so I'm assuming it's an OEM? From other posts on here I'm under the assumption aftermarket connectors didnt have the relay in the factory position, correct?

I'll crawl under the dash and see if removing that trailer lighting relay has any effect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: The relay is fine, no shorts I'm aware of there. When I checked continuity on the headlight switch I get good continuity between pins 4 and 6 when in the running light position, and continuity between pins 3, 4, and 6 when in the headlight position. Is this normal? The fsm diagram just shows continuity between pins 3 and 6.

I'm also getting continuity between one of the pins on fuse #4 and ground. I know this isn't normal.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,362 Posts
Sorry, I am pretty weak on electrical troubleshooting. I'll be happy to look in my FSM and see what I can find, but I'll need some specific guidance as to what you need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks but I'm not much if an electrical guru either. I've traced the short from the fuse to the light sockets that's all I know. Guess I'll give the stealership a call this week and see if they can diagnose it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I dropped it off at the dealership Saturday and today they told me that the illumination signal wire for my aftermarket radio was shorting out on the metal bracket. So an easy fix, only costing $300. Urgh. So needless to say I need to do a better job capping off unused wires in the future!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts