Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I had hoped in year 3 of builds, getting a late 2019 build would help me avoid quality control issues. I had one small issue with the silver bumper garnish not being "bonded" to the piece that I noticed the morning after buying it.

But, since the day I took it home (1/15), I've noticed a lot of fogging everytime it was parked. It sat all weekend and there was a lot late Sunday.

This AM, I pulled my floor mats and discovered the front passenger floor was SOAKED, pulling up the frame number cap I discovered the padding was horribly soaked and standing water in the floor of the car. My local dealer said they could get it in later this week. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from (1.5 hours away) sent a porter to get it to take a look ASAP. I don't have the time to be driving back and forth. Thankful the dealer sent someone (though I'm sure they are worried about that review that gets sent out).

But super bummed. Less than 500 miles, major issue where the inside will now all be pulled out, I'll always have it in the back of my head. Concerns that down the road the pad could stink...etc.

Just a major bummer on a new car I had hoped to keep a long time. 2 issues, less than one week. I wanted to put a nice stereo in it, now may hold off.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Did you see this thread?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you see this thread?

Sure did, that is the one that got me thinking so early on about it.

·
Administrator
14,018 Posts
I've seen periodic reports of water leaks on this forum on both G2 and G1 Ridgelines for the 13 years I've been here.

Unfortunately, it's not just Ridgeline or Honda. If you do a Google search for "[insert model or brand here] water leak", you'll find complaints across the industry - even on seasoned models like the Frontier that's on its 15th year of production essentially unchanged.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's unfortunate and definitely hard to take being just being the truck was bought a week ago.
I hope it gets resolved soon for you, then you can continue to enjoy your purchase.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's unfortunate and definitely hard to take being just being the truck was bought a week ago.
I hope it gets resolved soon for you, then you can continue to enjoy your purchase.
Yes it is. Really hoping it's something more simple like a drain hose, or issue with the rack they installed. Would just hate a real body or weld issue.

Thing is - so far I love driving it. Really quiet and smooth. Just hope I don't get a bunch of rattles after they put it back together.

Have my new rims to put on soon... so hope this is "easy".

Oh, and 2 of my previous cars (and most recent) were toyota 4 runners. Which, for all their lack of refinement, just don't have issues. Like ever.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Forward as much information as you can gather to your local dealer, it does help .
I recon your dealer gets frustrated as much as you do, Honda recognizes there is a problem, and they don't want to fix it at the dealership, and from what I've learned its not just the RL, Pilot, Odyssey.

Cool head prevails ! Good Luck !

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and 2 of my previous cars (and most recent) were toyota 4 runners. Which, for all their lack of refinement, just don't have issues. Like ever.
The internet begs to differ.
Yeah, I know every car has some if you look hard enough.

But the 4 runners I've owned (used 2003, 2015, 2018). Just never had issues early on. Not until well past 100k did I see anything.

Just hoping they find something easy...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Meh, I pulled all the seats and the entire carpet out of my 2017 to dry it after I failed to seal a grommet well enough when I added a power inverter under the driver's seat.

That was two years ago. It's fine.

You might ask them to remove the foam under the dead pedal while they're there, though...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I bought an early 2006 GenI and it had a missing body plug on the passenger foot area that caused the carpets to be soaked. In this case it was simple for the dealer to find and repair the leak and a bit more work to dry out the wetness. Truck had no other associated issues for the 10 years that I owned it after that. I hope your water leak is as simple.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hoping it's simple!

They did install roof rails on it, saw in one thread someone thought that was an issue.

My guess though, one of those drain plugs on the sunroof wasn't attached (I've read about this). The water in the car (and there was a lot) was very clean. I'm wondering if it actually got in when they rinsed it when they detailed it (as they had hand washed it as I had asked). The interior fogging has been there since the first night I owned it. There was zero fog in it the day I test drove it (2 days earlier).

Too much water to be coming in from under the car, even though it snowed here Friday, the car sat outside. That, or somehow from the windshield area as I had to defrost it after snow and ice for a long time last night - which would have added to any water from that first wash.

Ah, hoping it's simple and they fix my bumper at the same time. Even better would be if a couple backordered accessories arrived while they have it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

After 2 days the dealer called. They found a "pinhole" in the seam and are sealing that.

Now, from my perspective, there was way too much water in there to come from a pinhole on the side or underneath, and the water seemed "clean". I mentioned the sunroof drain tubes to them.

Not feeling good about this. I asked about new carpet and padding, - they have it "pulled back" with fans on it to dry it.

Ugh. Asked about unwinding the deal (long shot I know)... already sent in for the title. So it's mine. Which I figured. But just really hoping for the best now.

·
Administrator
14,018 Posts
You have my sympathy. Sometimes, it's better to dump a vehicle at a loss and get into something else you're happier with. A little over a year ago, I dumped a three month-old RDX at a $5,000 loss and I'm glad I did it. Just be sure a post the VIN so we can avoid buying it. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
122 Posts
What is the manufacture date of your leaking '19?
Guess I'll be pulling the weather mats out for awhile to check for leaks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the manufacture date of your leaking '19?
Guess I'll be pulling the weather mats out for awhile to check for leaks.
10/19

I'm torn on this. Fortunately it was caught very, very early (Thanks to this forum!)

If it's fixed correctly, I suppose things will be OK. I suspect I will know in very short order if things are OK.

Have wheels ready for it, a new stereo planned to go it. Just a bummer of a way to start!

I dumped a vehicle due to some issues a few years back and lost about 4k, went back to the 4Runner to make up for that quickly (it did, damn they hold value!) then to this.

IF it's fixed right here the first time, I'll settle in and enjoy it. The first few days I was just loving it as a daily driver!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd put that bad boy through a car wash a couple of times and if it leaks see what your rights are in your state. Or, systematically soak individual areas working from the bottom up. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to care. The best way would be for you to find it yourself and show them where the problem is. Sad but that's the best way for a quick, favorable outcome. If this is manufacturing related and not due to your accessories, shows how HMA can't get quality under control even after 3 years of production, unacceptable. Hopefully this is the end and it will be trouble free like the 4 Runners.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
You have my sympathy. Sometimes, it's better to dump a vehicle at a loss and get into something else you're happier with. A little over a year ago, I dumped a three month-old RDX at a $5,000 loss and I'm glad I did it. Just be sure a post the VIN so we can avoid buying it. ;)
I never understood why you dumped a 3 month old 2017 for the 2019, care to elaborat?

·
Administrator
14,018 Posts
I never understood why you dumped a 3 month old 2017 for the 2019, care to elaborat?
Without going back to the beginning of my automotive history, we'll rewind to my 2017 Ridgeline. I added a 2017 Civic Si that was vandalized, repaired, and traded for a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT. I tried combining the Ridgeline and Accord into one vehicle - a 2019 RDX which turned out to be both a lemon and a mistake. I traded that for a 2019 Ridgeline and added a 2019 Miata - a combination that I'm currently pleased with.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts