Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, anyone going to do it, or any pro-con thoughts on it?....

I'm considering getting a full-size spare, so I would need to get it before it's time for that first rotation.

Also, if doing a 5-tire rotation, what should the mileage be?...

Finally, anyone in SoCal interested in going in together in getting a set of take-offs to use as full-size spares?...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing. You can buy new wheels on ebay. I was wondering if the wheel will fit where the spare tire goes? Does anyone know? :confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Halabar, I remember you PM'd me that question but I forgot to reply, so here it is. My thought, no I wouldn't. You're just going to eventually wear down your spare, which means you'll eventually have to buy another tire of your spare. You'll have to rotate all 4 wheels anyways and that spare just means you're going to have one wheel with a bit more tread. I really don't see any advantage to doing a 5 wheel rotation. I'd leave that full size spare alone with full tread and peace of mind in an emergency.

Regarding fit, if you search for spares, you'll see a post I did with a full size spare in the trunk. The tool kit just moves to that little shelf off to the right. So far it hasn't moved. I was worried it would roll or fall off that shelf. Maybe I just haven't taken a corner fast and sharp enough to make it jump out of it's spot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I have seen brand new wheels on ebay for about $125 I believe. I think I may be doing that myself. Thanks again!

Chris

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you rotate with the spare you will increase the mileage needed before needing new tires. When you do need new tires you will be buying 5. There is no net gain or loss.

The milage should be the same for either a 4 or 5 tire rotation The idea is that tires wear slightly differently in different locations and be moving them you even out the wear and wear patterns.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
So what's the realistic shelf life of a brand new spare if it just lays in the trunk?

Buying a new spare every few years might be worth the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have a reliable spare, so it might not be a bad idea to work it into the rotation and wear it out with the rest of the tires. It's common for drivers to neglect their spare and then find a junker when it is needed most so this 'might' force them to address the issue on a regular basis.

-- ridged

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ridged said:
So what's the realistic shelf life of a brand new spare if it just lays in the trunk?

Buying a new spare every few years might be worth the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have a reliable spare, so it might not be a bad idea to work it into the rotation and wear it out with the rest of the tires. It's common for drivers to neglect their spare and then find a junker when it is needed most so this 'might' force them to address the issue on a regular basis.

-- ridged
That's why I'm thinking of doing this. On my old blazer, I had 1 flat in 6 years of driving, so the spare did get neglected, and was even the wrong size after I upgraded my tires.

A 5-tire rotation might help, especially if I'm driving the Ridge mostly on the weekends. Extend the life of the set.

Here's anohter question (probably should be a new thread). Of anyone upgrading their tires, to something slightly taller and/or wider, will anything larger still fit in the trunk spare area?...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm doing the 5 tire rotation on the Ridgeline. I put the spare on the driver's rear and put the passenger's front back into the spare's spot. Other than that I do a normal rotation (back to front, front criss-crossed to the back).

My primary reason is that I want to upgrade to a more aggressive tread with my next set of tires and I want the spare to match still. Right now as far as I can tell the only option available in the factory size is the Yokohama Geolander, hopefully BFG and others will begin making tires in our size soon though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a new rim on ebay for $41.00 plus shipping $15.00
purchased a brand new tire at NTB for $135.00

Tire fits perfect and tools store on side in the tray the container was cut to fit from Honda.

I am very glad I did this and do not have to worry about flats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts