Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I have now owned a 2006, 2008, 2017, and 2020 Ridgelines and have had all of the available drive trains. I'm sure it has been discussed here before but the performance of the G2 is hands down better than the G1 with it's 5 speed. But now that I have some miles in the 2020 with the 9 speed even that is a pretty decent improvement over the G2 6 speed. The 9 speed is way quicker off the line with it's super short 1st gear. On the highway the older 6 speed has much more jarring RPM jumps when you need some acceleration where the 9 speed is much smoother and doesn't need high RPM as often to get the job done.

Registered
OK, I am from an older culture, and this is straying a bit from the intended topic, where it is obvious I have different expectations of a transmission because I take confidence in feeling the transmission shifting. Back in the early days we even added shift kits to make the shifts more firm, especially when towing. (A "smooth" transmission meant a slipping transmission, which was not good!) The original purpose of looking at the Ridgeline was because our Jetta TDI, with a manual transmission, (my overall preference), was getting long in the tooth and becoming less dependable. Since a new VW was no longer an option, we turned to the Chevy Cruze diesel, but the manual transmission proved impossible to procure, though I did test drive a gasoline version with the 9-speed automatic. Well, I did not like it, I did not like it at all, without being able to feel it shifting it felt "sluggish" and left me feeling a lack of confidence and wanting in it's capability . The 6-speed in our Ridgeline gives me somewhat that same feeling, but with your description of the Honda 9-speed, I would be thinking it would leave me feeling wanting even more.

Bill

Administrator
The 9 speed is way quicker off the line with it's super short 1st gear.
That's true if you shift to sequential mode then pull the left paddle shifter to manually select first. Otherwise, the 9HP starts in second, but will downshift to first if you give it enough beans.

The 6AT's overall gear ratio in first is higher at 14.275:1 than the 9HP's second gear at 12.317:1.

The 6AT only has to shift once from first to second at about 39 MPH on its way to 60. The 9HP has to shift three times - from second to first on takeoff, from first to second at about 28 MPH, then from second to third at about 46 MPH.

The 9HP puts more torque to the wheels from 0-28 MPH, but the 6AT puts more torque to the wheels from 28-39 MPH. The 9AT requires two to three times as many power-interrupting shifts from 0-60 depending on whether you leave it in automatic mode or put it in sequential mode and manually select first gear.

If accelerating to the speed limiter in automatic mode, the 6AT will upshift three times (1-2, 2-3, and 3-4). The 9HP will shift five times (2-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5). These extra shifts erase some of the gain the 9HP had from 0-28.

So, up to 28 MPH the 9HP will feel stronger, but after that the 6AT will narrow the gap.

Registered
That's true if you shift to sequential mode then pull the left paddle shifter to manually select first. Otherwise, the 9HP starts in second, but will downshift to first if you give it enough beans.

The 6AT's overall gear ratio in first is higher at 14.275:1 than the 9HP's second gear at 12.317:1.

The 6AT only has to shift once from first to second at about 39 MPH on its way to 60. The 9HP has to shift three times - from second to first on takeoff, from first to second at about 28 MPH, then from second to third at about 46 MPH.

The 9HP puts more torque to the wheels from 0-28 MPH, but the 6AT puts more torque to the wheels from 28-39 MPH. The 9AT requires two to three times as many power-interrupting shifts from 0-60 depending on whether you leave it in automatic mode or put it in sequential mode and manually select first gear.

If accelerating to the speed limiter in automatic mode, the 6AT will upshift three times (1-2, 2-3, and 3-4). The 9HP will shift five times (2-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5). These extra shifts erase some of the gain the 9HP had from 0-28.

So, up to 28 MPH the 9HP will feel stronger, but after that the 6AT will narrow the gap.
Zroger, try to study up on the technology, data, etc., so you can converse logically with the rest of us :) :) :)

Seriously, appreciate this analysis and other analyses you've provided.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts