Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pull the plug and get a Ridgeline. The dealer I would like to deal with has their 'lowest price available' price which is suppose to be a no haggle price. It is $500 above invoice. An RTL is $29,032. What do forum members think?? Any ideas on how to negotiate in this scenario are welcome. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Patience,

The price comes down to how bad you want the truck and how bad they want to sell it.

Does anyone know if Honda is giving 1k on the trucks or only cars?

Seems to me if there is a 1k rebate on the trucks, you should be able to get the truck for at least 500 under invoice. The Dealer is making out but, shoot for the whole 1k and act like your going to walk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't see this $1k rebate you speak of. The only thing I see for the Ridgeline is the lease special on the RTS.

And I think $500 over invoice is a good deal. Do they have the one you want in the model and color you're looking for? If you want to negotiate maybe ask for some freebies...cloth floormats, rear mudflaps, running boards, etc. Jsut a suggestion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is unclear where you live ... price is influenced by Region and Demand.

I agree with DnA's comments.
$500 over invoice is accetable. Do they have the RL you want in the model/color you're looking for? If you want to negotiate ask for some freebies ... rear mudflaps, body side protection, etc. Watch out for the Dealer added (expensive) accessories that you don't want/need.

Other ROCs have offered other negotiating advise in other threads.
Obtain internet quotes from other Dealerships (Internet Manager) within 100 miles of your area to confirm the best deal in your area at this moment.
Also very important, use the internet to Dealerships nationwide to obtain your accessory prices. You will need this info to finilize the deal details.
In my case after offering me a fair price on the RL and my trade the Dealer wanted $1,000 for the body side protection with installation. I told them I would only pay $500 including installation and showed them what other places were charging. When I would not budge they gave in.

Ask ahead of time what their Prep/Doc fee is and ask for justification or negotiate a lower fee if it is too high ... prices can range from $50 to $200.
If you want the Honda Care extended warranty get it via the ROC.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got mine for $100 over invoice by using an "internet manager"... if you're in the LA area, call Oleg or Issac at Honda of Thousand Oaks.

AFAIK, the dealerships not only get $1k back from Honda for selling the truck, but furthermore they get "incentives" -- points that accrue based on how many vehicles they sell -- which further increases their bonuses from Honda. At least this is what a former Honda employee tells me. :)

Anyway, the biggest tool you have is the ability to walk out if you're not getting the deal you want. Negotiation is key, as the others have pointed out, but be willing to walk out if you're not happy with the deal they're offering. They might cave, and if they don't, there's always another day or another dealership!

Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
DnA's said:
I don't see this $1k rebate you speak of. The only thing I see for the Ridgeline is the lease special on the RTS.

And I think $500 over invoice is a good deal. Do they have the one you want in the model and color you're looking for? If you want to negotiate maybe ask for some freebies...cloth floormats, rear mudflaps, running boards, etc. Jsut a suggestion.

Good luck!
You do not see a rebate because there is no rebate. Honda gives the "owner" of that dealership a 3% "holdback" for owning the dealership, which usually is around the $5 mil mark to own one, and then you have to get employees, vehicles etc..... $500 over is not just a good deal it is a great deal. I am a Honda employee and I paid $1000 over, was it worth it, hell yes it was, do I think I paid too much, absolutely not. I made the decision to buy it and I am glad I did. I love my Ridgeline. If you look at what you get for your money, we can really justify the MSRP. Everybody go out and enjoy your Ridgeline and be glad we don't drive domestics.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi,

I though that some one on the group had said Honda was advertised rebates. On the edmunds site it is called marketing support and it does not appear on the Ridgeline.

The 3% hold back gives the dealer 900$ on a 30k truck.

The ridgelines are not selling as well because truck prices have dropped. GM and Ford highest margins, were on trucks. The prices have dropped a lot and they are still making money. My guess is Honda is doing fine also.

If the dealer does not take invoice, it is his loss. Believe me with the way the trucks are selling there will be one there at his price if you change your mind.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just closed the deal via phone on a new Ridgeline RTL.

Got her at invoice + 515 destination, and several accessories at HandA prices + 40% for installation.

Total on the RTL without sunroof and XM, (which I really wanted but bowed to the lovely wifey on) looked like this:

RTL without XM or moonroof
28,842 invoice
515 destination
300 Grille
470 running boards
50 in bed trunk cargo net
553 Body side protectors
66 Rear Splash Guards
150 underseat storage system

$30,946 Total

How'd I do?

And don't hesitate to tell me I got screwed, I'm a big boy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey embo9,

The $28842 is invoice including $500 destination... Looks like you are paying destination twice.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
bruce said:
Hey embo9,

The $28842 is invoice including $500 destination... Looks like you are paying destination twice.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That's the way I read it too. Which is about invoice plus 500 which seems to be about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
$500 on a $30k isn't that much of a difference in price, and could easily represent differences in market, purchase time and other issues. I mean this would be like me saying you got a bad deal because I was offered the vehicle at $500 under invoice (which I was but I had already purchased). Oh by the way, I got $500 under invoice from BJs Auto Buyers program. Costco's program was still pretty high when I was looking but they tend to be a little slower on price modifications than BJs.

Again the pricing of a vehicle is very much a matter of how much time you are willing to invest in shopping and pushing for a lower price. Remember your time is money as well. By the way I bought my truck 3 months ago, if I could get $500 under invoice then what should you have been able to pull now.

I say anything within $500 to $1000 to either side of Invoice is a fair deal depending on how hard you are willing to work at it. If you are paying more than this then you really are giving in too easily. This statement is specific to the Ridgeline, don't even try to get invoice on a 2006 HCH because you won't get it, that is if you can even find one. Each car has its Fair Market Value for what people are willing to spend on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my RTL from CarsDirect.com for $100 over invoice. The price they advertise on there website is EXACTLY what I paid. Obviously, it depends on the zip code you're in too. What I know is that they contacted dealers in their network in my area and other surrounding areas and get discounts on accessories, installation charges, etc rather than paying MSRP. They also have a guarantee on having the lowest price stating that "if you find the same model equipped with identical options, they will pay the difference or reserve the option to purchase the vehicle back from you"(buyer). Ask me how CarsDirect.com makes money! Well, here is how. They get kick backs from the dealers for moving X amount of vehicles per month. I wrote the check given to me by my credit union (approved for $36,000) out to the dealership for my RTL. Carsdirect.com is the middleman and did all the negotiating on my behalf. I'm sure the saleperson I worked with there gets a commission as well on each sale but that's cool with me. So, I believe $500 over invoice is a GREAT DEAL; especially if you had/have the patience to negotiate with the salesperson. I didn't want to deal with them after experiencing one dealership wanting $39,259 for an RTL w/moonroof, running boards, fog lights, fender flares, door visors, auto day/night mirror, dark floor carpets, and in-bed trunk carpet. After that jerk quoted me a price, I looked at him and said "WHAT"......are you out of your f-ing mind".......laughed and walked out. That's when I did some research on the internet and found CarsDirect.com and was able to get my truck for $35,145.....out of the door.... EVERYTHING..... I had to drive 6 hours (Florida to Georgia) to get that price but I think it was well worth it. And when I went to pick up my truck, I was able to have the dealership throw in the dark floor carpets and in-bed trunk carpet for free. I was going to buy those separately from the honda-acura accessories website but figured I ask for them at the dealership to see what they would do. I know that's not much considering how much they got for installation costs alone for all the accessories I got......but hey....it was still a freebie! I will post some pics of my Ridgeline as soon as I decide which aftermarket wheels and tires I really want as well as getting the door handles and tailgate handle chromed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts