Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading, watching, and waiting I finally bit the bullet. I went in to my local dealer that I had been working with for the last couple of months armed with the knowledge and printouts from this forum. I was asking for $500 over invoice on a Silver RTL S/R. After about an hour of negotiating he came back with his best offer of $1000 over invoice. I told him I was sticking to the $500 over invoice because I knew people where getting that price. He threw one of those salesman fits and got up and walked away. Luckily so did I. I used the advice of some of the members here and emailed all the Honda dealers (6) that I would be willing to drive too saying I was willing to buy at $500 over invoice today. The next morning I had 3 messages from different dealers. 2 Saying they could not go that low and one saying I had a deal. I drove out there within a couple of hours and had my new Silver RTL S/R at $500 over invoice. This had to be the easiest buying experience I ever had. Thanks to all the members here for posting exellent information.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good job. Can you tell us which dealer?

Another trick in buying is go over the hill to stockton. In San Joaquin valley where dust is flying 24 hours a day, no one buys dark color cars. So if you want a red or black Ridgeline, you can get a better deal 1 hour away.

What color did you get, is this what happened?

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new truck. I'm pleased that this site and the information contained within helped you to get a great deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue said:
Good job. Can you tell us which dealer?

Another trick in buying is go over the hill to stockton. In San Joaquin valley where dust is flying 24 hours a day, no one buys dark color cars. So if you want a red or black Ridgeline, you can get a better deal 1 hour away.

What color did you get, is this what happened?
I ended up buying at Elk Grove Honda. They actually let a silver one go for $500 over.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Great job! I must say that this process of emailing dealers is really great and an emerging method of avoiding all the new car buying hassles. I think it is critical, as you did, to: 1) name your price; 2) advise that you have emailed multiple dealers; and 3) advise that you will buy from the first dealer that meets your price. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain from this approach.

Most (if not all) of these dealers have an Internet sales department that seems to operate independent of the regular sales force. They seem to realize that the Internet creates some inherent advantages for the knowledgeable buyer, specifically that the dealers have to price competitively, instead of relying on the standard car sales tricks to keep you in the dealership until you relent. Since you never enter the dealership, you're a free agent who can review offers objectively and (hopefully) dispassionately. In effect, you can hold an auction for the lowest price.

There are always going to be dealers out there who want to move stock more than others. You'll never figure out which ones by reading the paper or other advertising, as they all seem to tease you about the same.

This process has the potential to be beneficial to car dealers as well. Dealing via email is inherently less costly and time consuming, so the need for car sales people and all the googaws in the dealerships declines. There may be a leveling effect that works to the advantage of everyone.

My only caveat is this: Make every effort to reach a deal BEFORE you go into the dealership and be willing to be patient in that process. I personally believe that I might well have done better had I followed this admonition. Who knows?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, after getting fed up with just going to the dealerships and trying to get them even close to $500 over invoice, I finally just gave up and tried the internet. I just asked for quotes without giving my own price and one of the dealerships came back with $413 over invoice. Of course after I talked to him on the phone, he couldn't "find" my model anymore. But I took that price to another internet saleman in my area and he gave it to me for a little bit more than that.

In the end I paid less than $500 over invoice, but perhaps that was because I bought an RT not an RTS or RTL. The buying process is much easier over the internet though!!

btw, I live in Southern California.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My goodness! Elk Grove is definitely not SF Bay area. I got my Toyota at Modesto and thought that was far. Maybe you live near Sacramento anyway so that would only be 1 hour away. For me, Elk Grove is 2 hours away. You did save $2000 so it is worth the drive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, the Net is changing things. But there are still enough of those clueless buyers around to keep those salesmen in jobs....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts