Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a towing thread but in searching did not see this answered so thought i would place it here. Mods.. Move as needed.

I have seen a few G1 Ridgelines where a 5th Wheel Hitch was installed in the bed. Never got a chance to see how they did it.

Is this possible?

Reason, a Friend of mine has a 19' Scamp (around 2500 lbs dry) for sale at a good price and its in show room shape. But this is the 5th Wheel hitch.

I would think that with the change in bed sides, this should be a easy tow IF ( and only IF) a hitch could be installed in the bed.

Any Thoughts?

Hawk

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I would think that many 5th wheel hitches can physically be fit within the space of a RL bed. As was mentioned it'd need a physical mount (to the frame, located forward of the rear axle). And remember these hitches are heavy so they'd eat up payload capacity. But the thing that most concerns me (as with any short bed) is in a turn the trailer may punch out the rear of your RL, or the angled body sliders on a G1 Ridge. There have been many instances where the two have collided on physically larger trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea. I saw this on the G1 in that thread... Did not know how similar the mount would be on a G2. He talked about removing the 4 bolts holding the bed down, drilling them out and using hardened larger bolts. He also mentioned he DID have an issue when he turned too sharp and hitting the "Wing" of the G1.

I am just exploring. Not sure I am ready to make any major modifications against the warranty at this point. Wife was interested because with the kids we had a Coleman Popup and we loved it. Got rid of it when the Kids schedule did not allow us to use it and we were tired of the crank up and down all the time. And no AC (Never saw the use of an AC with tent sides...)

May just need to keep looking at straight tow-able. BUT... its a good topic to explore.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
There are many capable (smaller/ lighter) bumper pull trailers that the RL can handle - but not many 5th wheels. That is precisely why I no longer have a Ridge.

I previously pulled a 24'/ 5K (loaded) HiLo with a Ridge (flat territory), but
now I'm pulling a 32'/10K (loaded) 5th. You got to make sacrifices, one or the other.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is an interesting thought. Not sure if a RL is the TV for a 5th wheel combined with the uni-body construction of the RL. Guess you could follow the structure members from the hitch and see if the bolts in the bed would be on the same stress path thru the structure.

Getting someone to fab the hitch for the 5th wheel plate could be a obstacle. I know the metal fab shop I worked for would not touch it due to liability reasons.

FWIW we just returned from a 1200 mi Ozark trip with a Lance 1475 in tow. Great pick-up and great TT for couples whom get along if your looking at a TT.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just wondered if it's ever been done before, that is installing a 5th wheel hitch in the bed floor of the Ridgeline. Obviously the plastic floor could not hold the hitch and its weight, so it would have to go thru the floor and mount to the uni-body cross rails, much as a standard pickup with frame is done. Were talking 700-900 pounds tongue weight here so if might not be an option to do and do it safely. Any thoughts on this.

trainman

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,493 Posts
Due to the design of the Gen1's bed and C-pillar, the best you could hope for is a gooseneck trailer, not a fifth-wheel. But that would not be possible either due to how the bed's crossmembers are setup and the fact that the bed is designed to handle 1,100 lbs of distributed weight, not localized onto the crossmembers.

Although the Gen2 C-pillar design can better support this idea, its bed design is the same as the Gen1, so... In other words, no.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,493 Posts
With judicious packing, this 5th wheel could be a candidate. https://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-5-0-escape/
That will only reduce the length of a regular trailer by a little bit. I don't know if it would be worth the pain of going through the process of custom creating and installing a 5th wheel hitch in a Gen2 bed just to gain a few extra feet of trailer length. Plus, it would render your bed almost useless to carry other bulky things with you as you are camping with your trailer.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The Scamp 5th wheel trailer I have is 2100 lbs empty, 2400 lbs loaded and puts 400 lbs on the hitch, Surely the new ridgeline can handle this.
While none of the weights per se are an issue, the fact that the critical (for 5th wheel or gooseneck) 'cab-to-axle' dimension on the G2 RL is only ~22" is a deal-killer IMO, even if you manage to work through the substantial structural and fabrication challenges to install such a hitch on the RL.

The geometry presented by that fact alone precludes setting-up a practical 5th wheel or gooseneck rig IMO; you end up sacrificing most if not all of the benefits of the trailer type relating to load distribution, improved ride / handling characteristics, and maneuverability.

Yeah, even with a trailer as narrow as the Scamp and even with a 'cheater' king-pin relocation extension or a 'roller' hitch in the bed. I know that Scamp, it's a nifty trailer, but if shopping for a vehicle for that (or any 5th wheel/gooseneck) trailer I'd skip the 2G RL.

FWIW from a lifelong RV'er with lots of miles on gooseneck utility and horse+living quarter trailers (currently downsized to a 17' Casita 'bumper pull' with the RL).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking this would be a good option (Escape 5.0). It is 3,910 pound dry, so weight is within the stated towing capacity... I'm disappointed to see so much concern about the ability to properly install the hitch to the bed. The 2" receiver is attached to a single point, so there must be some structure to this truck... I'm also disappointed to see concern about the true towing capability compared to specs... I always thought Honda was conservative with their specs... It seems like there is enough power and stability, so 5,000 lbs. shouldn't be that difficult (with good trailer brakes).

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
At the very least include the pickup bed dimensions and the GVWR of whatever RV you are looking to tow when making your decision. The availability of a 5th wheel hitch might be a deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts