Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I sold the RL and leased aRam 1500! Here is a review of the Ram.
First off as I stated before, this truck gets great fuel mileage, been averaging 19 mpg city a And about 27 highway, not bad for a full size truck even though it only has the v-6 motor in it. Speaking of the v-6 , it has a lot of power, definitely have to watch the speed, it’s a very nice riding truck, almost as good as the RLand a lot better than my friendsGMC high Sierra. I like the fact that it sits high and you have a commanding view of the road. The interior is a lot larger and more comfortable than the RL, it’s 4 wheel drive system it good for off road as it does have a low range. As much as I like this truck, there also some things I don’t really like that the RL had.
Again the ride in this truck is very good but theRidge rode almost like a car, the all wheel drive system in theRL is far superior, as I drive, mostly on the road and very little off road you don’t have to worry about shifting to 4wheel drive, also the front wheel drive is better in rain or light snow as opposed to rear wheel drive.
As the beds are almost the same size I do miss the dual action tailgate and the in bed trunk, the trunk was great for storing things in and hiding things you didn’t want to leave in the cab as a firearm.
The turning radius on the RL was much better than the Ram, pulling into a parking spot can be somewhat of a challenge with the Ram because of its size.
The other thing I miss a lot and found out just recently is the heater, the RL used to warm up very quickly compared to the Ram.
Another thing that I miss and so does my dog is the load flat floor, I went out to the junk yard and purchased a flat floor for the backseat, it also does not have the 60/40
split seat.
There are things I like about the Ram and some things I don’t, all in all it’s a nice truck but not an RL. The 2019 Rams are also a lot nicer than the 2018, I guess I should have waited a few months but I couldn’t pass up the deal. A neighbor bought my RL and loves it. I hope I have as much luck with theRam as I did with the Ridge, at least for the next 3years, if they change the looks of the RL maybe I’ll buy another, I will still say that my 2007 Ridge was the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I miss it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ram makes a nice truck. Don’t they offer with full AWD? My Grand Cherokee was full time but also had neutral and low range.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
No the NP433 transfer case is a "auto" 4wd system but not like what is used on the RL2. The AWD of the RL is far better and more stable on the road than the Ram setup. The lesser models only have 4wd on demand and it locks the center diff for at least one wheel in front and one in back (unless you have limited slip in back which gives two in the back driving)

I just had a Hertz rental 18' RAM 1500 4wd. My impressions of it compared to the RL are pretty the same as the guy above mentions them. It is a pretty awesome motor that Hemi though. Really very peppy and with the 2wd on it's just waiting so slide out around turns with minor throttle application. It's dang fun! Especially as mentioned on rainy surfaces where RWD shows it's ugly handling head and snow of course but I didn't have any of that to try out. The ride is decent but very "rubbery" meaning it's well controlled but feels like you are bouncing on rubber. The RL is much more of a car like ride as he mentions and I agree with totally. But the RAM is a truck for truck kinda guys and with the HEMI motor it is a "get in shut up and hang on" kind of riding fun. You can't discount the fun factor at all. It's that much. Parking I agree is a PIA. The rear view camera lines are pretty good but you have to swing it wide cause it's big and long. Very tall too. But, I'm betting that most people can't fit one of the double cabs (crew 4doors) in their garage. Either that or they have nothing in there and pull it all the way to the wall. Cause it's just so dang long. That does make it more tiring to drive cause in the McD's drivethru it's a PIA jumping over the curbs. (did that too) But it is a nice fun to drive HEMI truck! That's with out a doubt the high point.

Steve

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it’s almost Two years that I have the Ram, still like it a lot, still miss the RL though. gas mileage dropped some but I put on more aggressive tires, didn’t change the ride but hurt mpg. As I said I still miss the RL especially the trunk, I will say my dog also misses the RL. My neighbor still drives my old RL daily, won’t sell it back to me, still looks good. Still unsure what I want next.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,287 Posts
Well it’s almost Two years that I have the Ram, still like it a lot, still miss the RL though. gas mileage dropped some but I put on more aggressive tires, didn’t change the ride but hurt mpg. As I said I still miss the RL especially the trunk, I will say my dog also misses the RL. My neighbor still drives my old RL daily, won’t sell it back to me, still looks good. Still unsure what I want next.
Funny, I’m contemplating moving from my 17 Ram 1500 Laramie to a new Ridgeline, now that they offer gear selection with paddles. Just not sure about 2 things: 1) Towing a 4000# trailer and 2) Ground clearance. Truxxx offers a 1.5“ front lift.....that with a slightly taller wheel/tire would get me across the creek to our property, but........warranty issues?

·
Administrator
14,597 Posts
I was told by my dealer if you buy it new from them and they or a 3rd party that they pick does any work to it before you take ownership (ie 1.5” lift) it’s covered under the warranty.
It may be covered by that dealer, but it's not covered by Honda.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It may be covered by that dealer, but it's not covered by Honda.
When I bought my 2019 brand new, my dealer installed the Jsport / Traxxda 2" lift along with the exclusive-to-Jsport wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler tires. This was the 13'th Ridgeline they had installed this package on. They had also already done 3 new Passports the same way (only 1.5" front lift on those though). I was told by both the General Manager of the dealership as well as the "Super Tech" they have there that no part of my warranty was void because of the modifications. Honda will not cover any breakage of the actual "parts" that make up the lift or the wheels since they are not original equipment, but everything else remains covered. To say that a dealership modifying a vehicle for a customer will void the manufacturer warranty "in total" is not correct. No different than Ford or Chevy dealerships that install aftermarket lift kits and wheels on new trucks and then park them on the lot for sale.

·
Administrator
14,597 Posts
No different than Ford or Chevy dealerships that install aftermarket lift kits and wheels on new trucks and then park them on the lot for sale.
Those dealers are taking a risk since such modifications change the vehicle's bumper height, center of gravity, crashworthiness, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those dealers are taking a risk since such modifications change the vehicle's bumper height, center of gravity, crashworthiness, etc.
Understood, and you make a good point Sir! I've always lived in a place where off road trails and parks were available (up until we moved to Nebraska where there is NOTHING) so I've always put a mild lift and slightly bigger tires on my trucks and SUV's and Jeeps. I have a practical purpose for doing so, but I know it's not for everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts