Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe it has been 6 months since I got my RL RTL-E. Time to list some of my likes/ dislikes / nice to haves. I just rolled over 9200 miles and completed my first service last weekend. So on to the details.

Likes: Ride and mileage. I find the RL to be very comfortable and capable. Seats are comfortable and the AC does its job well. From hauling a bed full of mulch to balled trees to out on the town. MPG continues to be in the mid 20's with a long trip this weekend averaging 27.2. A nice step up from my Pilot that rarely got above 22. Infotainment. No big issues here. Everything works well. I use Car Play for music and pop between Waze and the integrated Garmin maps. Integration with the smart phone is good and I'm enjoying the hands free calling.

Dislikes: Acceleration. This started as a non issue for me but the more I drive the more I dislike the acceleration lag. Will be looking at installing a Sprint Booster here in the next few months to resolve. Auto High beams. I'm getting more used to this function but I still feel like I'm blinding oncoming traffic. No one is flashing me for having my brights on, so maybe I'm over sensitive on this one.

Nice to have: Hotspot integration. Geeze put a cell sim in the RL so we can use it as a hotspot or at least give us the option to add our own. Camera view on all trim levels. I love the RH camera for turning on our Accord EX-L. In my opinion, just having the sensors for traffic is a step down and the camera should be standard on all levels. Bed Rail kit. Get a good bed rail kit for the RL so it is easy to secure cargo other than the tie downs in the corners. I know we can adapt a Toyota rail system but give us one purpose built.

Overall I'm very pleased with the RL and am looking forward to seeing how it does in the winter weather.

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
This started as a non issue for me but the more I drive the more I dislike the acceleration lag.
I've never noticed this in either my 2017 or 2019. I push the accelerator and it responds just as quickly as any other of the dozens of vehicles I've owned save for the turbocharged Civic, Accord, and RDX that had unavoidable turbo lag.

Nice to have: Hotspot integration.
That wish will almost certainly be granted in the coming weeks when the 2020 model is announced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would be really helpful if Honda could do something about the "seams" at the rear window and the bed plastic caps. Really tired of addressing the leaking at these points and the leaking tonneau as a result.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the throttle lag issue, make sure ECON mode is off.
I have not tried turning ECO off. I'll run for a tank with it off and see if it improves performance and also what it does to my MPG /tank

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
I have not tried turning ECO off. I'll run for a tank with it off and see if it improves performance and also what it does to my MPG /tank
You won't need to wait to notice a performance change - the difference is immediate.

If there is a noticeable decrease in fuel economy, it'll be because you're enjoying the "jack rabbit starts" - not because of any of the changes that occur with the use of ECON mode.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't need to wait to notice a performance change - the difference is immediate.

If there is a noticeable decrease in fuel economy, it'll be because you're enjoying the "jack rabbit starts" - not because of any of the changes that occur with the use of ECON mode.
Have you been watching me drive? :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
It would be really helpful if Honda could do something about the "seams" at the rear window and the bed plastic caps. Really tired of addressing the leaking at these points and the leaking tonneau as a result.
Which are these? something I should look at when buying?
Just to clarify, I'm 99% certain @rbendell is referring to how some OEM component joints conspire to make keeping a tonneau-cover 100% watertight and a covered-bed 100% dry a bit difficult.

Not talking about any water leakage into the cabin, if that's your concern I've not seen mention of that sort of issue here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It’s an obvious difference in the feel of power once you turn it off...you really dont have to put much into the throttle to get it to scoot along.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s an obvious difference in the feel of power once you turn it off...you really don't have to put much into the throttle to get it to scoot along.
I've pretty much been in ECON mode since day one and I do not notice any lag in acelleration. IN fact, in most cases I am the first to move at a light and usually I'm at the front of the pack. I'll admit that I have a heavy foot, but again, I notice no lag in acelleration. Guess I'll have to take it out of ECON and see if there is a difference. Current MPG is 21 to 21.9 and that is with mostly city driving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've pretty much been in ECON mode since day one and I do not notice any lag in acelleration. IN fact, in most cases I am the first to move at a light and usually I'm at the front of the pack. I'll admit that I have a heavy foot, but again, I notice no lag in acelleration. Guess I'll have to take it out of ECON and see if there is a difference. Current MPG is 21 to 21.9 and that is with mostly city driving.
I've mainly noticed it when cruising 65-70 and need to get out and pass someone or merge in to traffic. Did not get the opportunity to drive it yesterday so I'm hoping tonight when I get home to take it out for a spin.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hard to believe it has been 6 months since I got my RL RTL-E. Time to list some of my likes/ dislikes / nice to haves. I just rolled over 9200 miles and completed my first service last weekend. So on to the details.

Dislikes: Acceleration. This started as a non issue for me but the more I drive the more I dislike the acceleration lag. Will be looking at installing a Sprint Booster here in the next few months to resolve. Auto High beams. I'm getting more used to this function but I still feel like I'm blinding oncoming traffic. No one is flashing me for having my brights on, so maybe I'm over sensitive on this one.

Overall I'm very pleased with the RL and am looking forward to seeing how it does in the winter weather.
Been thru 2 winters skiing in Westa Viriginia and Its awesome in the snow. Period.
And it has amazing acceleration as well. Car and Driver recorded 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.
Maybe you don't have the Eco function turned off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been thru 2 winters skiing in Westa Viriginia and Its awesome in the snow. Period.
And it has amazing acceleration as well. Car and Driver recorded 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.
Maybe you don't have the Eco function turned off.
My issues is not 0-60 but doing 65-70 and having to accelerate to pass or merge. I do need to try the eco off and see if that makes a difference before getting a Sprint Booster. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
Sometimes, when I know I'm about to pass I'll press the D4 button on the shift lever. This raises the engine speed and the transmission will only need to downshift 1-2 gears when flooring the accelerator instead of 3-4 gears resulting in less of a delay.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sometimes, when I know I'm about to pass I'll press the D4 button on the shift lever. This raises the engine speed and the transmission will only need to downshift 1-2 gears when flooring the accelerator instead of 3-4 gears resulting in less of a delay.
I do the same thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drive the RL in to work today. Figured the 50 mile commute in would be a better real world test than just hitting the back roads around the house. There is a very noticeable difference when you turn ECON off, especially when cruising along at 72MPH. I found myself backing off the throttle a bit to maintain speed. Acceleration to pass was better, more responsive than with ECON on. On my commute home today I'll drive the entire route with ECON off so I get more used to it vs just disabling during the drive. Not sure what impact if any it will have on my overall MPG so I'll have to do it for a tank or two and do some division. Interesting observation with my test this morning. On the wife's 2016 Accord when you disable ECON (i4) the green outline for the gauges goes away. On the RL, it still stays on. Definitely more testing to do. Thanks everyone for your feedback and tips.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My issues is not 0-60 but doing 65-70 and having to accelerate to pass or merge. I do need to try the eco off and see if that makes a difference before getting a Sprint Booster. Appreciate the feedback.
I also have no issues at those speeds, truck performs adequately with eco on, and is fantastic with it off.
Based on observations over 3 years. SB totally waste of $, IMO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have no issues at those speeds, truck performs adequately with eco on, and is fantastic with it off.
Based on observations over 3 years. SB totally waste of $, IMO.
After driving yesterday with Eco off, I too am really wondering what a SB would give me at this point. I was very satisfied with the acceleration and passing yesterday. Now I need to run it off for a tank and see what hit my MPG’s take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
JJkroch
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing