Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I usually have it off but wanted to see if I could get better gas mileage, I too feel like it is almost a safety hazard as you go to take off in busy traffic and want to speed up to match the pace of traffic and you can't. It is a big difference where with eco off, the car almost seems jumpy, with a lot of available throttle, and responsiveness. I'm going to see what kind of mileage I get.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
It seems in my limited experience that I'm most likely to benefit in MPGs when I'm most likely not to use the ECON mode and least likely to benefit from ECON mode when I am most likely to use it. For example, I think the ECON mode helps in stop & go driving and does not help so much in steady-state driving like on the Interstate. I don't care for the "driveability" of the Ridgeline in ECON mode during stop & go driving so it is off then and when the ECON mode is on is when I am highway driving. I mostly leave it off all the time.

I find that my personal time necessary in acquiring empirical data exceed my attention span.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does anyone know when the cylinder de-activation happens? Is it only in ECO mode and at causing speeds or does it kill 3 cylinders when in normal mode? Curious. Also some motor heads out there feel that cylinder de-activation is not good for motors. People why have C7 Corvette's with auto transmissions are having some issues as you cannot turn it off unless you are using the paddle shifters.

·
Super Moderator
12,365 Posts
Does anyone know when the cylinder de-activation happens? Is it only in ECO mode and at causing speeds or does it kill 3 cylinders when in normal mode?
ECON (not ECO) mode has no effect on VCM operation. The engine switches to 3-cylinder mode after everything is up to normal operating temperature and the engine is very lightly loaded (not driving uphill, not driving into a strong headwind, not accelerating, etc.) Even under ideal conditions, the engine won't stay in 3-cylinder mode indefinitely - it will periodically revert to 6-cylinder operation even under light load conditions to maintain cylinder and catalytic converter temperatures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't used Eco at all and get the same great mileage, 19 city, 27 highway, 22-23 mixed. I have lots of passing power after 65 mph, turn off Eco!

You will be pleasantly surprised with how good your Winter driving will be. Cuts through snow/slush on the road and almost impossible to fishtail.

Agree that a rail kit would have been nice, and the rear view camera is pretty blurry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 RTL-E. Love it. I do all my driving with ECON turned Off. Throttle response is very good, only if I catch it in too high a gear does it seem sluggish (only for a second). I tried using the ECON mode once, I did not like the lazy throttle so I used it for one tank of gas and turned it back off. The gas mileage I recorded was only slightly different from what get normally so I use normal mode.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ECON (not ECO) mode has no effect on VCM operation. The engine switches to 3-cylinder mode after everything is up to normal operating temperature and the engine is very lightly loaded (not driving uphill, not driving into a strong headwind, not accelerating, etc.) Even under ideal conditions, the engine won't stay in 3-cylinder mode indefinitely - it will periodically revert to 6-cylinder operation even under light load conditions to maintain cylinder and catalytic converter temperatures.

Thanks. Interesting that it is not discernible when it switches. At least I cannot tell. In the Corvette when it goes from 8 to 4 cylinders you can hear it and there is a light on the dash that indicates how many are firing. I guess that's why the highway mileage is so good on the second generation RL.

·
Registered
234 Posts
90 plus percent of all my driving is in urban/suburban areas. I don’t get good mileage, 16-17 at best. When you live on an island and very little freeway 55-60 mph max, I think its expected. It’s still a couple more mpg than I got with my Frontier, and its way quieter, and way-way more comfortable. Sure I’d like it to be better, but I don’t drive more than 1K a month. Fuel is at its best around $3.50 / us gal so even with less mpg than the rating the RL is suppose to get, its not all that costly as far as gas & goes.

Simply put, I get where I want to go, and do it comfortably. No valet guy/gal has ever looked disappointed to get a chance to drive it......wait. Maybe that’s why the mpg is low.... hum

·
Registered
379 Posts
I find this discussion about MPG very interesting and some what funny. We own 1970 and 1971 pickups, which are very similar in size to the Ridgeline, where they are making us 10-12 MPG on a good day. So, comparatively speaking, we are thinking that it is great when our Ridgeline is making us double that figure! (y):D

·
Super Moderator
12,365 Posts
I find this discussion about MPG very interesting and some what funny. We own 1970 and 1971 pickups, which are very similar in size to the Ridgeline, where they are making us 10-12 MPG on a good day. So, comparatively speaking, we are thinking that it is great when our Ridgeline is making us double that figure! (y):D
My dad has a 1972 Ford pickup with a straight-6 and 3-speed manual that averages 18 MPG in city driving. It's all original except the points and condenser were replaced with electronic ignition many years ago. It has no power anything. I find it extremely difficult to drive.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
90 plus percent of all my driving is in urban/suburban areas. I don’t get good mileage, 16-17 at best. When you live on an island and very little freeway 55-60 mph max, I think its expected. It’s still a couple more mpg than I got with my Frontier, and its way quieter, and way-way more comfortable. Sure I’d like it to be better, but I don’t drive more than 1K a month. Fuel is at its best around $3.50 / us gal so even with less mpg than the rating the RL is suppose to get, its not all that costly as far as gas & goes.

Simply put, I get where I want to go, and do it comfortably. No valet guy/gal has ever looked disappointed to get a chance to drive it......wait. Maybe that’s why the mpg is low.... hum
Very cool. I saw a lot of G2's on Maui when I was there in January. I mean an alarming amount. I'm going back next April and eventually relocating there. My G2 will be going with me along with my Leaf, one of my sportbikes and my FX SVHO so I can fish off the coast. Mahalo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Eco mode = OMG kinda dangerous driving around when used to driving the truck with it off. Kinda never heard of someone buying a vehicle then reducing the power.....usually the other way around.

After owning my 18 EX-L RL for 10 months apart from the noted trim light concerns I wish the brakes were better or had more feeling ( creeps when at lights and not paying attention ). Nothing like my RDX lot sharper and more direct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dislike: auto start engine stops if you do anything other than brake/start button. Drives me nuts. I push the brake pedal, try to move shifter, realize I'm in auto start mode and engine shuts down. Fer effs sake. My ford doesn't care. It waits until I hit the start button with brake on or times out and shuts down. You can do the Macarena and the engine stays on.

No idea why Honda is so picky.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,365 Posts
Dislike: auto start engine stops if you do anything other than brake/start button. Drives me nuts. I push the brake pedal, try to move shifter, realize I'm in auto start mode and engine shuts down. Fer effs sake. My ford doesn't care. It waits until I hit the start button with brake on or times out and shuts down. You can do the Macarena and the engine stays on.

Failing to properly transition from a remote start to a normal start by following a specific procedure suggests to the vehicle that a thief or unattended child may be inside, so it shuts the engine down to err on the side of safety and security.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
This method is much better than my wife’s car. After a remote start on it, the engine dies when you open any door. You must restart after entering the car. There is no method to keep the engine running before driving away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not tried turning ECO off. I'll run for a tank with it off and see if it improves performance and also what it does to my MPG /tank
2018 RTL-E for me. When I need to giddy up and go, I turn off my Eco mode and the acceleration is MUCH better. Most times I don't need that extra punch so I leave Eco on, but there are times when trying to pull out into traffic, or when I see another car riding up on me fast and I want to push the truck along I hit the button and boom, the thing goes.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts