Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E with only 5k miles. I am thinking of upgrading to a 2020 due to new 0.9% financing and hungry dealerships.
I am concerned that the 9-speed is not as robust as the 6-speed.
Can you give your thoughts on the 6 vs 9?
Have you experienced any rough shifts?
Thoughts on the 2020 Ridgeline, is it worth upgrading?
Are all bugs worked out now?

Bests wishes and health to all during this Covid-19 pandemic.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The only "complaint" that we have about our 6-speed is that it will not hold 1'st gear when shifted down, a minor grievance I grant you. On behalf of the 9-speed, the extra cost of maintenance alone is enough to persuade me from going that route. So, we wouldn't even consider trading in our 19 and paying all that extra for a 20 just to change trannies. Nope, no way!

Bill

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have only 2,000 miles under my belt on the ZF 9 speed but did 70k with the 6 speed on my 2017. I like the 9 speed but I'm a ZF fanboy after owning 2 RAMs with the ZF 8. Day to day driveability feels remarkably similar as the ZF starts in 2nd gear in D, so really a 7 speed as 9th doesn't kick in until expressway speeds.

I towed a decent amount with the 6 speed but not yet with the 9. I like the flexibility of the ZF 9 with the Sequential for having a true manual mode. Paddles are quick shifting but not dual clutch fast. More expensive maintenance on the ZF 9 speed but less of it (especially when the 6 speed ages and you are doing more drain and fills than specified to get decent shift quality).

All that being said, not sure I'd trade that new of a 2019 for a 2020. I had my 2017 since Nov 2016, drove in 70k miles as noted and was able to upgrade to a 2020 for $15,750 (basically a reset to 0 miles and getting the improvements in the 2020). I had basically done every common mod to the 2017 i.e. rear door checks, adding the fuel filler hood, locking tailgate, etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trade it, but know you’ll take a bath in the deal from a dollars perspective.

0.9% on the other hand could make up some or most of the loss in the long run if you’re a couple points higher now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For a truck that new, if you like it, maybe keep it and see if you can refinance at a lower rate somewhere.

I am right now where klossfam was. I have a 2017 I bought in December 2016, about 85K miles, no issues, but would love to get a 2020 in RTL-E trim. If I could get as good a deal as he did, I would snap it up!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
116 Posts
due to a left knee ski injury when I was younger that has worsened with arthritis as I have aged, manuals have been a no-go. And nothing bores me more than PRNDL. As such for about 15 years I have been in sequential shifting automatics of varying quality-- MINI Coopers, BMWs, Acuras, etc etc. and I will never look back. Did autocross and track with the Coopers and BMWs and loved the two-hands-on-the-wheel while shifting control, especially on twisties. Yes some sequentials perform better than others, and the dual-clutch units are in a world of their own, I love the ability to manually control shifts without have to wear a knee brace and suffer. It's addicting.

That's why I waited for the 2020 and the ZF 9-speed. The demo 2020 RTL-E I took out for an extended test up-shifted very responsively under throttle, which is what I wanted, and downshifted good enough for me. It performed like the Acura TLX and MDX loaners I've had recently. Glad I waited. PRNDL would've been torture. Plus the ZF has a lower first gear which, as Honda product engineers claim, will help with towing at lower speeds.

But given your situation, I am not sure it's worth trading in your 2019 now, even though now is a buyer's market (I won't say how much, but I got a good deal on my 2020). And be forewarned that Honda Alabama has cut production of RL Pilot and Odyssey due to the pandemic, so there may not be much new stock shipped out for the foreseeable future. There is discussion that if this extends into the summer, the 2020 MY will be shortened, and that Honda will start retooling for an earlier 2021 MY.

So if the ability to fully control your RL's manual shifting is not important to you as it is to me (and others here), I would hold off and enjoy your current rig, and see where this heads. Good luck in whatever you do and stay well :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can only say that I had an Acura TLX for a few years with the 8 speed double clutch tranny and it was the worst thing I have ever driven. More gears is not better. When you are used to slamming the accelerator (at speed) and having a 5 speed shift down once and give you a ton of power to accelerate, the 8 speed aint for you. The 8 speed shifts down once... no power... then shifts again... a little power and then shifts again and then you have power. Well fella's... that like 5 seconds of time waiting to accelerate and believe me, its pretty lame. Who knows... maybe these new ones shift down more gears at one time. even worse, that tranny was not ready, there were times I shifted from reverse into drive and the tranny would pop so hard I could see my hood lift.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Over time and over 3k miles on my 2020 -E, I've found that the downshifts (when asked by flooring it or even halfway flooring it) have learned my foot position and will in fact skip multiple gears to best harness the power band proportional to the gas I'm giving it. I do have to keep my foot steady when doing so, otherwise it confuses the transmission and then the sequential downshifts occur. The downshifts using the paddle shifters are adequate, but do take a good 3/4-1 second to occur, which honestly is nitpicking I suppose.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
2 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E with only 5k miles. I am thinking of upgrading to a 2020 due to new 0.9% financing and hungry dealerships.

I would trade for a 20 assuming the $$ difference is fair. The increased opening rear doors and the locking tailgate would be reasons. I am not sure about the 9 speed tranny but I trust Honda would change if it was not better. $$ spent on stuff with tires and sparkplugs is $$ well spent. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would trade for a 20 assuming the $$ difference is fair. The increased opening rear doors and the locking tailgate would be reasons. I am not sure about the 9 speed tranny but I trust Honda would change if it was not better. $$ spent on stuff with tires and sparkplugs is $$ well spent. Go for it!
On the rear door opening, the now-standard solution of replacing the rear door checks with the front door checks works perfectly, and it's fast & cheap.

I started to do it myself, but it was very cold/kinda dark in my garage and I dropped the first screw down into the door...and ran up to a shop I know well who installed them for $30 in under 10 minutes.

Not trying to dissuade you from trading; just noting that the door fix is easy & real.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
406 Posts
The only "complaint" that we have about our 6-speed is that it will not hold 1'st gear when shifted down, a minor grievance I grant you. On behalf of the 9-speed, the extra cost of maintenance alone is enough to persuade me from going that route. So, we wouldn't even consider trading in our 19 and paying all that extra for a 20 just to change trannies. Nope, no way!

Bill
Why do you say there is an extra cost of maintenance with the new tranny? I assume you mean it is enough to dissuade you, not persuade you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
For a truck that new, if you like it, maybe keep it and see if you can refinance at a lower rate somewhere.

I am right now where klossfam was. I have a 2017 I bought in December 2016, about 85K miles, no issues, but would love to get a 2020 in RTL-E trim. If I could get as good a deal as he did, I would snap it up!
Good deals abound in the pandemic world we live. A new 2020 RTL-E can be negotiated to $38,000-$38,500 (that includes delivery) and the wholesale/trade on your RTL-T (if AWD) is between $20,000-$21,000 (Manheim MMR aka wholesale is $20,700). It helps to have a lot of dealers in your area (Buffalo has 4 large Honda dealers within a 25-30 minute circle).

It was not hard to get to that delta...there are a lot of 2020 RTL-Es around as that was the biggest out of the gate production run...My neighbor just bought a 2020 BE but didn't quite do the due diligence I did...but that $38k-ish is the going rate for a 2020 RTL-E.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
406 Posts
You may want to research doing fluid changes on the 9-speed?
Bill
I guess that is your way of saying that the extra maintenance cost comes from more frequent fluid changes required. Thanks
Good deals abound in the pandemic world we live. A new 2020 RTL-E can be negotiated to $38,000-$38,500 (that includes delivery) and the wholesale/trade on your RTL-T (if AWD) is between $20,000-$21,000 (Manheim MMR aka wholesale is $20,700). It helps to have a lot of dealers in your area (Buffalo has 4 large Honda dealers within a 25-30 minute circle).

It was not hard to get to that delta...there are a lot of 2020 RTL-Es around as that was the biggest out of the gate production run...My neighbor just bought a 2020 BE but didn't quite do the due diligence I did...but that $38k-ish is the going rate for a 2020 RTL-E.
So you can spend 18 thousand dollars to get almost the same truck with maybe 18 thousand less miles on it?
Doesn't sound so great.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I guess that is your way of saying that the extra maintenance cost comes from more frequent fluid changes required. Thanks

So you can spend 18 thousand dollars to get almost the same truck with maybe 18 thousand less miles on it?
Doesn't sound so great.
Salish Seagull was talking about 85,000 less miles to trade in his 2017...my 2017 to 2020 change involved 70,000 miles for $15,750 (plus tax on this amount).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts