Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking input from members. I have a 2006 with 98000km. Extended warranty ended in November 2011. I started to have excess engine noise and had the vehicle serviced. Got the timing belt and a valve adjustment done (valves were WAY out). Noise was better but still evident. Described as piston slap or a bottom end knock. The sound is continuing to get worse (sounds like a sewing machine). Honda techs advise I require a new shortblock. Dropping the oil pan revealed scored cylinders. I've been in touch with customer relations, but they seem to want to do nothing, as I changed my own oil on 3 occasions and don't have the receipts (have the containers though and know the mileage). The vehicle has always been maintained on schedule and has not been modified.
Any suggestions on the course to take?
Should I be concerned about damaging other expensive components like the transmission as I drive this sewing machine?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Question, where did you find a 2006 DCP?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
and yet another

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Oh no! From Canada. It will good to know, if most of these issues are from owners living in colder climates too.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Seeking input from members. I have a 2006 with 98000km. I've been in touch with customer relations, but they seem to want to do nothing, as I changed my own oil on 3 occasions and don't have the receipts (have the containers though and know the mileage).
Makes me glad I am lazy these days and paid for service from the start on this vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Let me guess....it was the number 4 cylinder that was scored :act060:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry to hear you are haveing that kind of problem. I think I changed my own oil on my Ridge 3 times and the dealer did the other few. I also changed my own VTM fluid. I always kept all reciepts and wrote everything down in the book. When I traded my Ridge last month I gave the dealer all the reciepts of everything I have done to it along with everything they did to it. They gave me a very good trade in and even certified the Ridge for the next owner. I hope Honda steps up and helps you out with this. Dave

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
This doesn't sound like the #4 cylinder issue. If the valves were that far out of spec, there was something going on within the engine that caused the cylinder walls to be scored. Did the techs say if there was a crack in the block? Did you have any white or blue-ish smoke coming out of the tail pipe at start up? I'm at 112k miles and my valves are still well within spec - never had to be adjusted. Nevertheless, this is still another major issue with an '06. Seems pretty disheartening this is happening with these trucks at such young mileage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only engine failures I've seen have been on vehicles with a lack of service records/lack of service. Flame on.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The only engine failures I've seen have been on vehicles with a lack of service records/lack of service. Flame on.
Mmmm, not too sure. There has been a few failures with trucks with dealer service records.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
I have no doubts that might be the case for a typical engine failure, but this cylinder #4 issue has happened on RL's with even the most spotless maintenance histories. Oil and filter changed every 6-7000 miles (or less), all other fluids checked and/or replaced at regular intervals. It's truly a conundrum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn't the ridgeline and MDX have the same 3.5? I've grown up in an Acura parts department my whole life and this is the first I'm hearing of any cylinder problems. Trans problems yes. CL TL 99-03 40 trans's a month in they're prime but never any MDX problems. I'll seriously dig into this.

Oh I'm mike im new. Currently shopping for my first Ridgeline since my 94 legend is approaching 280k

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Doesn't the ridgeline and MDX have the same 3.5? I've grown up in an Acura parts department my whole life and this is the first I'm hearing of any cylinder problems. Trans problems yes. CL TL 99-03 40 trans's a month in they're prime but never any MDX problems. I'll seriously dig into this.

Oh I'm mike im new. Currently shopping for my first Ridgeline since my 94 legend is approaching 280k

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
The first gen MDX had the 3.5 liter, but it's not the same engine as the RL. Same basic structure, but many different parts. The current gen MDX has the 3.7 liter. Welcome to the ROC.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,667 Posts
Didn't we have a guy from the MDX forums posting here about similar issues? I thought I bookmarked it, but maybe I'm mis-remembering what the subject was. I can't find it in my bookmarks after a brief search.

Help me out here.

Edit. Nevermind. That was for the transmission/coolant intermix issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
(a comment from a retired professional engineer)
Sorry but the head gasket blowing on cyl 4 has nothing to do with changing the oil or coolant. Blaming paperwork is a weak excuse for a weak design. In my opinion, it is the deckless block design that I see in the shop manual (because I haven't had a head off).
The temp gauge shows a warm engine sooner than any equipment I have owned or been around and I don't think the engine is warmed as much as the gauge shows (I'm 69 yrs old). The cylinder thermal growth may be faster than the rest of the block and in due time the gasket is crushed and the joint relaxed.
This issue leaves me rather aprehensive to own this vehicle a long time.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
95K on mine. Not a problem.....ever.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
(a comment from a retired professional engineer)
Sorry but the head gasket blowing on cyl 4 has nothing to do with changing the oil or coolant. Blaming paperwork is a weak excuse for a weak design. In my opinion, it is the deckless block design that I see in the shop manual (because I haven't had a head off).
The temp gauge shows a warm engine sooner than any equipment I have owned or been around and I don't think the engine is warmed as much as the gauge shows (I'm 69 yrs old). The cylinder thermal growth may be faster than the rest of the block and in due time the gasket is crushed and the joint relaxed.
This issue leaves me rather aprehensive to own this vehicle a long time.
I am not too sure, newer cars warm up very fast, we have a couple of Toyota 06's and they warm up as fast, I also have a Ford 97 and that one takes 1 mile of driving before the gauge reaches idle mid range temperature.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts