Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RL had 6,200 miles on it. 15% oil life left. The wrench was lit, bell ringing and service soon A 1 flashing. I know I could have waited a bit longer. I can't stand to have any lights on or things flashing. I called around to a few local dealers, including the purchasing dealer. Cost quoted were $81.00, $88.00, $120.00, and $55.00 and change. All checked out and provided same service.
While getting service done, I had them check the balancing of the tire that was repaired a week ago. That tire was rotated to the front. Not to my surprise the tire needed to be balanced and has weights on both sides of the rim. The dealer that did the service has always treated me very well. I wish I could have worked a deal with them when we purchased RL. I spoke with the sevice manager and he didn't mind that we didn't. I will return for future service.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I still have awhile to go (only 2450 miles) but I agree about shopping around between dealerships. I am finding a similar discrepancy on accessory installations so when time comes for servicing, I will do the same...

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
RRPRTS said:
RL had 6,200 miles on it. 15% oil life left. The wrench was lit, bell ringing and service soon A 1 flashing. I know I could have waited a bit longer. I can't stand to have any lights on or things flashing. I called around to a few local dealers, including the purchasing dealer. Cost quoted were $81.00, $88.00, $120.00, and $55.00 and change. All checked out and provided same service.
While getting service done, I had them check the balancing of the tire that was repaired a week ago. That tire was rotated to the front. Not to my surprise the tire needed to be balanced and has weights on both sides of the rim. The dealer that did the service has always treated me very well. I wish I could have worked a deal with them when we purchased RL. I spoke with the sevice manager and he didn't mind that we didn't. I will return for future service.
That seems awful high for a oil change which is what maintence A is supposed to be. Did they do something additional to the oil/filter change?
Maintenance Minder A Scheduled Maintenance

Replace engine oil*1

*1: If the message, "SERVICE DUE NOW" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swampler said:
That seems awful high for a oil change which is what maintence A is supposed to be. Did they do something additional to the oil/filter change?
Tire rotation, Grease all hinges, latches, inspect and adjust rear brakes, parking brake, check and top off all fluids, including diff. Tire pressure, oil change w/ filter. I couldn't see paying $120.00 for this service. $55.00 isn't so bad, and it's on record. I will be doing most of this stuff soon. I also plan to switch to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
RRPRTS said:
Tire rotation, Grease all hinges, latches, inspect and adjust rear brakes, parking brake, check and top off all fluids, including diff. Tire pressure, oil change w/ filter. I couldn't see paying $120.00 for this service. $55.00 isn't so bad, and it's on record. I will be doing most of this stuff soon. I also plan to switch to synthetic oil.
That's a lot more than what's required per the quote in my previous message (which is copy/paste from Owner's Link).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Um, yeah. I would say you got ripped off. Greasing hinges at 7,500 miles? Aside from the tire rotation, I'd say this should have cost about $20 - $25 at one of many oil change locations. I believe another member mentioned Walmart's costs elsewhere, which included, as I recall, the tire rotation part of things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer provides the first oil change and tire rotation/balancing free. Me thinks you wuz robbed :(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Had own oil and oil filter (Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 and a Mobile 1 oil filter). Had oil and oil filter changed and a sample drawn for Blackstone Labortories and the tires rotated at Wally World for $13 and change. Was in Maryland and the local Honda dealership wanted over $36.00 with me suppling the above mentioned items and well over an hour wait...in and out at Wally World in less then a half hour... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lifesaver1 said:
Um, yeah. I would say you got ripped off. Greasing hinges at 7,500 miles? Aside from the tire rotation, I'd say this should have cost about $20 - $25 at one of many oil change locations. I believe another member mentioned Walmart's costs elsewhere, which included, as I recall, the tire rotation part of things.
Wow, tuff group.
The money came from my wallet. I thought I did pretty good. What does your Honda dealer quote for 7,500 mile service? Not simply Oil Change. I'll tell you what sport. Look on your receipt from Walmart or any other quick oil change/ lube. If they replaced the crush washer, I will mail you a check for your next oil change visit to Walmart. I will be the judge if I got ripped off or not. But thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
RRPRTS said:
Wow, tuff group.
No kidding. Can we spare the ripoff commentary on other people's purchases, please? It's not helpful, and it's not within the spirit of this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
RRPRTS said:
Wow, tuff group.
The money came from my wallet. I thought I did pretty good. What does your Honda dealer quote for 7,500 mile service? Not simply Oil Change. I'll tell you what sport. Look on your receipt from Walmart or any other quick oil change/ lube. If they replaced the crush washer, I will mail you a check for your next oil change visit to Walmart. I will be the judge if I got ripped off or not. But thanks for your opinion.
I'm not in this discussion to say if you got ripped off or not... just offer a different opinion.

Tire rotation... I agree that this should be done. I buy the lifetime rotate and balance the first time and have this done for free at every oil change on my vehicles.

Grease all hinges, latches... Fluff. This should have been checked on the PDI inspection and lasts for years. Just a fluff item of no value.

Inspect and adjust rear brakes... total baloney. The rear brakes have no adjustment.

Parking brake adjustment... the Service Manual has a procedure for adjusting the parking brake after shoe replacement. It involves taking off the rear wheels, etc. and it's extremely unlikely that they did anything of the sort, and even if they did it would be completely unnecessary.

Top off all fluids, incl. diff.... any oil change joint does the same thing. There is no differential on the Ridgeline, but assuming they meant the VTM unit. Should have been checked at PDI. It's a sealed unit and unless it shows signs of leakage it's full if it ever was.

Tire pressure... any oil change joint does this as well.

Now before I go into the Wal-Mart issue I'll say I have no association with Wal-Mart (don't even own any of their stock at the present time).

I've watched my oil being changed at many places. Dealers, quick-change joints, mechanics, gas stations, etc. I can honestly say that out of all the places Wal-Mart is the most consistent. They have strict policies in place. They do the exact same service if I have it done in St. Louis, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, or anywhere else. They honor my lifetime rotate and balance at every location... I'm not bound to one location. A supervisor double checks every single item. At least two people check every single lug nut with a torque wrench. I have never seen a dealer use a torque wrench on lug nuts.

I always provide my own oil (a five quart bottle of Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Honda 15400-PLM-A01 or Mobil 1 oil filter). Wal-Mart chages a $10.00 labor charge (some locations charge $13 if memory serves me correctly) when you provide your own oil and filter. The 5 quart Mobil 1 cost $19.88, and the filter about $6. So for under $36 I get the best oil change money can buy, a top quality oil fiter, tires rotated and balanced, all fluid levels checked, windows cleaned, and interior vacuumed.

I am not a fan having your oil changes and minor service done at dealerships. Yes, the dealers have some very skilled technicians, but the oil rack kids are usually not trained at all and have little or no supervision. If there are procedures for checks and balances in place it's up to each individual dealer. Some may be great. At least at Wal-Mart I know they have national policies, regular inspections, and I've never seen one that didn't follow the policies.

As for the crush washer... I sell Honda oil filters (the good ones not the junk ones you get at the dealer)... a BUNCH of them. I supply a crush washer for every filter, but to be honest I've never bothered to change one on any of my Honda / Acura vehicles, and I've never had a drip. As long as it doesn't leak it's not an issue since the crush washer offers no other value. I could easily provide the crush washer to Wal-Mart and they'd install it, but the whole crush washer issue means nothing to me.

Everyone has their own way. The lowest price is not what I'm after. The very best quality at an affordable price is my pet peeve. If someone has a way (other than self-service) to get better service at a lower price I'm ready, willing and able to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
RRPRTS said:
Wow, tuff group.
.....lol...lol......easy killer............ ;) but i think i agree with you......55 wasn't bad for oil/filter/tire rotation at the DEALER. is it higher than what we think it should be? oh yea it is........but for a DEALER, not bad.............good point about that washer too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I prefer to perform my own oil changes, tire rotations, and inspections. It gives me an opertunity to "see" what is going on with the vehicle. Plus I have only my interest in mind, not trying to sell additional services

I just change the oil in the Ridgeline for the first time. I found it to be very easy, although I have to admit the oil plug facing toward the aft instead of down gave me a small issue. I fully understand and agree with the design, I will now insure I use a deflector for the drained oil. I did not expect to "shoot" hot oil about 10" - shot right passed the catch pan - I must have been qiute a sight flipping around on my back, under the truck, moving things :rolleyes:.

I must admit, I do find it amusing on the few occasions I have been too busy and send the wife to just get an oil change or tire rotation - She always comes home with an estimate of the ~$700 worth of stuff they say I desparately need - Yeah, right! I fully understand that that is their business, but why is it always $700? Who figured out that magic number?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dnucci said:
I did not expect to "shoot" hot oil about 10" - shot right passed the catch pan - I must have been qiute a sight flipping around on my back, under the truck, moving things :rolleyes:.

I must admit, I do find it amusing on the few occasions I have been too busy and send the wife to just get an oil change or tire rotation - She always comes home with an estimate of the ~$700 worth of stuff they say I desparately need - Yeah, right! I fully understand that that is their business, but why is it always $700? Who figured out that magic number?
LOL.........LOL............WHAT A SIGHT THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ;)
you know, dealers would make a lot more money in volume if they wouldn't try to cheat so damn much.......folks would rather go to the dealer than some quick oil place but they know the dealer will come up with over charges, etc......

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry if the term "ripoff" is considered inappropriate on this forum. What I meant to say is that I think RRPRTS's dealer overcharged and provided unecessary service, if indeed they did provide all the service they reported.

I personally find it bothersome that despite the emphasis Honda places on the limited amount of service necessary for its vehicles (note another poster's detail of what is appropriate for a 7,500 mile checkup), a dealer would offer, for example, to grease hinges at 7,500 miles, or imply that this was done as a necessary part of such service. In my view, that is unethical on the part of the dealer if the dealer is actually suggesting that such service is necessary or appropriate. It seems like service upselling to me.

Just an opinion. Not an intent to insult anyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to my dealer for a new vehicle introduction that they do each month to get you introduced to your vehicle and it's maintenance department. The cost for there 3750 oil change which is what they recommend is $91.00. This includes everything, oil, oil filter, balance and rotate tires, check and top off all fluids, check a bunch of other stuff under the hood and around the vehicle. Also included a BG oil additive. I asked them why there were adding an oil additive to a new engine on the first oil change and they said that was to help to make the engine last longer as a preventive measure. When questioned about this they said if you don't want it then they would not install this item and if all you wanted was just an oil change that would be 24.99 + tax and environmental fees for the waste. So all said and done not a bad deal. Also the first oil change is free. I think I'll check out the Wal-Mart thing once I get the free oil change... The thing to remember is if you think you got a good deal then you got a good deal no matter what someone else say to the contrary. Everything is relative.

·
Registered
460 Posts
silverridge, just wanted to throw 2 pennys worth........hope you don't mind.
but.........no dealer is putting any additive in my ridge. especially brand new.
oil change they recommend is waaay to early for you. drive that break in oil until the oil life reads 5-15 percent. seriously, the manual tells you not tomake that first oil change before recommened. then, 3750 really is a ploy just to get you in there....nicholas's oil analysis that was posted on here shows that you can go atleast 6000 miles between changes. and hey, rotating your tires at 3750? nope. every other oil change would save you money and is in line with what manual suggests wich i believe is 10,000 miles.
one owner to another ;) .

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have aboyut 5400 miles on, and just yesterday the beeping wrench alarm went off indicating <15% oil life left. I drive mostly city mileage. I will run it down to Service Due Now. I have the Mobil 1 and SuperTech filter ready to go.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just called my shop and to my surprise they actually use Mobil 1. $35 for the oil change. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts