Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many find the TS easy/hard to use? I had dreaded the worst after reading how Consumer Reports harps on it so much. Boy, are they wrong. Must be another one they are thinking about and just parroting the same old speech. Not only is it ease to use with adjustable touch settings (2) it is well integrated and well laid out. Also the Garmin Nav. is something I'm familiar with so no learning curve there. I have found that with the Garmin it pays to search with my phone and then enter the resulting address. Saves a lot of grief. Compared with our 2013 Honda Accord V6 EXL it is a joy to use.

So chime in and keep me straight on this. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
114 Posts
How many find the TS easy/hard to use? I had dreaded the worst after reading how Consumer Reports harps on it so much. Boy, are they wrong. Must be another one they are thinking about and just parroting the same old speech. Not only is it ease to use with adjustable touch settings (2) it is well integrated and well laid out. Also the Garmin Nav. is something I'm familiar with so no learning curve there. I have found that with the Garmin it pays to search with my phone and then enter the resulting address. Saves a lot of grief. Compared with our 2013 Honda Accord V6 EXL it is a joy to use.

So chime in and keep me straight on this. Am I wrong?
From my experience you're not wrong......I, too, am familiar with the nav system and the touch screen itself works fine for me.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I agree with you that it is easy to use and pretty intuitive. I haven't played with the navigation too much so I can't comment on that, but overall I am satisfied and really enjoy all the settings it lets you customize.

I'm learning when it comes to professional auto reviews you need to take some stuff with a grain of salt. They always find something that is better in something else. It's all relative. For example, a reviewer claiming the handling on a Corvette ZR1 isn't as good as a Ferrari. They can pick out even the smallest difference because they are seeing the best the world has to offer fairly frequently. For an average person, or even a dedicated fan, they may never be comparing to the best out there because most people can't afford $100k+ cars. And even if they did they may not be able to notice a difference! I recognize that touchscreens and handling are very different and its easier to find differences between various touchscreen/interface options, but the concept still applies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you that it is easy to use and pretty intuitive. I haven't played with the navigation too much so I can't comment on that, but overall I am satisfied and really enjoy all the settings it lets you customize.

I'm learning when it comes to professional auto reviews you need to take some stuff with a grain of salt. They always find something that is better in something else. It's all relative. For example, a reviewer claiming the handling on a Corvette ZR1 isn't as good as a Ferrari. They can pick out even the smallest difference because they are seeing the best the world has to offer fairly frequently. For an average person, or even a dedicated fan, they may never be comparing to the best out there because most people can't afford $100k+ cars. And even if they did they may not be able to notice a difference! I recognize that touchscreens and handling are very different and its easier to find differences between various touchscreen/interface options, but the concept still applies.
Consumer Reports has been doing this for years Ad Nauseam.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is my first experience with Garmin and the Honda touch screen. I was worried it would be complicated after reading the reviews but have found it to be easy to use and fairly intuitive. My experience level with technology is good, but certainly not great. My only complaint is that the touchscreen is a fingerprint monster. Whatever coating is on that holds fingerprints like nothing else!

·
Registered
606 Posts
My only complaint is that the touchscreen is a fingerprint monster. Whatever coating is on that holds fingerprints like nothing else!
THIS... I haven't had any issues with the screen, but its a daily wipedown with the microfiber cloth.... I wanted to get the screen protector, but the reviews on that are less than great...

Reactions: Lifesaver1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THIS... I haven't had any issues with the screen, but its a daily wipedown with the microfiber cloth.... I wanted to get the screen protector, but the reviews on that are less than great...
Honda did supply a cloth! Probably not a problem only Honda/you have.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Agreed! Very easy to use. OTOH, I have a buddy for whom touch screens in general do not work well, not sure why. Maybe the CR reviewer was one of those guys.

·
Registered
547 Posts
About the fingerprint issue:

In n another thread someone told me about a screen saver : Honda Pilot 2016 EX/EX-L/Touring/Elite/2017 Ridgeline Navi 8-inch Screen Protector with Travel Kit
I have no idea how well it works but I ordered one because I'm going nuts with the finger prints - although the screen does look great when fingerprint free.

As far as usability, I think it's on par with every other car computer, I think they all need some work, of course I think all OS's need work including iproducts. I can't see why anyone would hate on the Ridgeline's computer unless there is a vehicle out there with a really great computer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not a fan. Screen is too glossy. Scratches easily (apparently got a piece of sand/grit under the microfiber cloth and now have two long scratches). Garmin navigation requires precise syntax that I HATE. I just use Google Maps. Sometime use Garmin just to see where I am, but maps are outdated and Google Maps update in days not months. Would never rely on Garmin unless I knew there was no recent construction. As far as radio, it's fine. For phone I prefer Android Auto to the native UI, but the screen works fine.
I've read the lack-luster reviews on screen protectors myself. Over-priced with under-whelming performance. Might try another variation. With a couple of scratches in less than a month, imagine what it'll look like in a couple of years!

·
Registered
606 Posts
About the fingerprint issue:

In n another thread someone told me about a screen saver : Honda Pilot 2016 EX/EX-L/Touring/Elite/2017 Ridgeline Navi 8-inch Screen Protector with Travel Kit
I have no idea how well it works but I ordered one because I'm going nuts with the finger prints - although the screen does look great when fingerprint free.
That's the screen I was talking about. The reviews on amazon are less than stellar. I guess the problem is extreme heat from the sun, and conversely extreme cold causes the shield to come off the touch screen leaving air pockets and you have to keep reapplying it. Can you post a review after about a week of use with that? Interested to see your real world results.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a fan. Screen is too glossy. Scratches easily (apparently got a piece of sand/grit under the microfiber cloth and now have two long scratches). Garmin navigation requires precise syntax that I HATE. I just use Google Maps. Sometime use Garmin just to see where I am, but maps are outdated and Google Maps update in days not months. Would never rely on Garmin unless I knew there was no recent construction. As far as radio, it's fine. For phone I prefer Android Auto to the native UI, but the screen works fine.
I've read the lack-luster reviews on screen protectors myself. Over-priced with under-whelming performance. Might try another variation. With a couple of scratches in less than a month, imagine what it'll look like in a couple of years!
I pretty much agree with everything you said about Garmin. However it has some good features that I like so I adapted. The HD traffic works extremely well. The maps are large and detailed. Speed limits and intersections are displayed. Always connected. Turns are displayed on instrument console, etc. So I use my phone for routing (Garmin could never route). Use phone to lookup addresses to input into the Garmin before starting trip. I use phone for traffic detours. The Garmin will just recalculate and follow my lead and I get all the details the navigation unit provides. For me, it is working out pretty well and better than I had expected. Glad I got the Garmin unit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Got a question about the Garmin nav. For this you might want to have a passenger. Can you do inputs on the nav while driving? I know some other systems like the Toyota Entune doesn't let you, not even the passenger so its pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a question about the Garmin nav. For this you might want to have a passenger. Can you do inputs on the nav while driving? I know some other systems like the Toyota Entune doesn't let you, not even the passenger so its pretty frustrating.
Don't know for sure. I do it ahead of time and use my phone for ad hoc destinations. You can select gas, food, groceries from screen by touching.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pretty sure you can input changes while underway. This system operates the same as my motorcycle Zumo (even the icons are the same) and I can alter the route, search etc., on it while moving.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Turns are displayed on instrument console, etc. .....Glad I got the Garmin unit.
Android also displays turns there, btw.

Personally, I am glad it has both. It depends on the situation as to which works best. For example, I have a buddy that lives very rural. If you follow standalone navs to get there it sends you over a road that will stress your off road abilities - basically a game trail/cowpath. Google maps knows to route you on a real road.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Android also displays turns there, btw.

Personally, I am glad it has both. It depends on the situation as to which works best. For example, I have a buddy that lives very rural. If you follow standalone navs to get there it sends you over a road that will stress your off road abilities - basically a game trail/cowpath. Google maps knows to route you on a real road.
On stand alone Garmin units, there is an option to avoid tolls, unpaved roads, etc. Is there such a setting on the in-dash Garmin?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
To me it's a non-issue. Even the lack of a volume dial doesn't bother me. The UI of the touchscreen actually goes to great pains to make up for the lack of a tuning/selection dial. The volume dial just isn't a big deal, especially since you have it on the steering wheel. And I actually prefer the touch screen functions to a big bunch of dials and buttons. My only pet peeve is that I wish the touchscreen were a little bit closer to the driver.

I've been a CR reader since the early 80s and they have long been terrible Luddites, very slow to adopt new technologies and overly critical of them until they become the norm.

By the way, the quality of the touchscreen is very good for an automobile. If that weren't the case I would probably detest it.

Reactions: Doobiewah
1 - 20 of 58 Posts