Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got 9,000 miles on my RTL-E now, after driving coast-to-coast and back, as well as some local driving on the opposite coast. Happy to say, I don’t have much to report.

I carefully checked the oil consumption based on some concerns on this website and Honda’s CYA recommendation to check the oil at every fill-up. I did not need to add any oil. At 9,000 miles I was notified that I had 10% oil life left, so apparently I could have made it to 10,000 miles according to the truck, but I decided to do an oil change at 9,000. That’s an A1 maintenance, so I’ll also need to rotate the tires.

The truck performed almost flawlessly on the entire drive. A problem I thought existed, failure to start in some instances, turned out to just be my failure to depress the brake adequately.

I have checked actual gas mileage over 6,752 miles of the 9,000. With two humans, one dog, and a moderate load, with nothing to speak of in the bed, tires at 37 PSI cold, but a factory Honda nose protector (bra) on the truck, the best mileage was 25.44 MPG. The worst was 17.93. The average was 22.038, but consider that 90% of this driving was freeway driving. My typical highway driving was around 22.5 MPG I’d estimate. I’ve checked this against the average MPG reported by the truck. In every case but one, the truck’s estimate was over the actual, often by 2 MPG or more. Basically it’s meaningless as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve compared the navigation system to my Android Auto. Generally, the Android Auto continues to be much easier from the perspective of verbal input and much more robust with respect to traffic. That said, the Garmin navigation system offers much more information, including speed limits that are almost always correct, good exit service information, and some other useful information. I relied on it 95% of the time and only used the Android Auto in places where traffic was a major concern.

I've reported previously on the adaptive cruise control and various safety features previously. On the safety features I had very few false positives, but they did happen. Conversely, I think the safety features helped me avoid problems in several cases. On balance, worth it. On the ACC, I've simply learned to cancel it if someone pulls out in front of me and then to immediately reengage it, which avoids sudden braking. On the other end, when pulling out of a line of cars to pass, I've learned to cancel it and accelerate, then immediately reengage it. Don't have to do this much and the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Especially nice in single lane highway driving due to highway maintenance or other reasons, as it keeps you behind the person ahead without having to alter speeds all the time. A real stress reliever, especially on long drives.

Bottom line: No meaningful problems and a great open road vehicle. It's everything I hoped for when buying this truck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have right at 8000 miles on my BE so far and can report pretty much the same experience. No problems, mpg overall is very similar with my best being 27.1. Average on highway driving has consistently been around 25 mpg.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have right at 8000 miles on my BE so far and can report pretty much the same experience. No problems, mpg overall is very similar with my best being 27.1. Average on highway driving has consistently been around 25 mpg.
I'm interested in the gas mileage part. I'm assuming you are mostly driving solo with no load? Also, what PSI in the tires and what types of highway roads (traffic, how level, etc.)? Because I very rarely take long highway rides without the load I describe, I may never experience the mileage you report. I'm intrigued to see how much the load impacts the MPG. (BTW: Some of my drives include absolutely flat highway, like I-80 through Nebraska, and little traffic, using cruise, but still under 25 MPG. Of course, I'm also driving 8 mph over speed limit, some sometimes 88 mph.)

·
Registered
123 Posts
My mpg readings are almost always with no load and only me in the truck. I drive the interstate frequently and typically run 65 to 75 mph. On a long trip, completely on the interstate, I got 27 mpg. I do have a 19 foot bass boat. When towing it on the interstate, I get about 12.7 mpg at 70 mph.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
My mpg readings are almost always with no load and only me in the truck. I drive the interstate frequently and typically run 65 to 75 mph. On a long trip, completely on the interstate, I got 27 mpg. I do have a 19 foot bass boat. When towing it on the interstate, I get about 12.7 mpg at 70 mph.
Are you using the on board calculator or doing it by hand? On board seems to be almost 2mpg optimistic . . .

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm interested in the gas mileage part. I'm assuming you are mostly driving solo with no load? Also, what PSI in the tires and what types of highway roads (traffic, how level, etc.)? Because I very rarely take long highway rides without the load I describe, I may never experience the mileage you report. I'm intrigued to see how much the load impacts the MPG. (BTW: Some of my drives include absolutely flat highway, like I-80 through Nebraska, and little traffic, using cruise, but still under 25 MPG. Of course, I'm also driving 8 mph over speed limit, some sometimes 88 mph.)
nebaska is so flat, with a 40mph tail wind doing 40mph you just might get 40mpg!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hand calculated numerous times. Have always been within .3 to .5 mpg to the onboard monitor.
That's fascinating. You may be the only one I've read about here who is seeing consistently similar results from hand calculations and the onboard average readout. My method is to fill the tank, then calculate from the miles driven and gallons added for the next fill up. I'm assuming you're doing the same? Odd that yours would be so close and mine so far off. Here are my most recent examples. Left is miles driven. Next is gallons. Next is MPG calculated. Next is what the truck told me my average was:

199.4 - 8.538 - 23.35 - 26.00
265.2 - 13.77 - 19.25 - 22.00
241.7 - 11.034 - 21.91 - 24.20
194.6 - 9.518 - 20.45 - 21.70
232.2 - 10.292 - 22.56 - 25.30
196.5 - 8.379 - 23.45 - 25.40
288 - 13.58 - 21.21 - 23.50
326.9 - 16.599 - 19.69 - 21.80

·
Registered
387 Posts
On the other end, when pulling out of a line of cars to pass, I've learned to cancel it and accelerate, then immediately reengage it.

If you don't want to cancel and reengage each time you can just accelerate. It will go back to your settings when you take your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, I am calculating just like you are doing. I drove quite a bit last weekend, mostly interstate. Averaged 25.8 hand calculated. Computer showed 26.1

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't want to cancel and reengage each time you can just accelerate. It will go back to your settings when you take your foot off the gas.
Agree. I've tried both options. What I've personally found is that hitting cancel and reengaging is smoother, but it may just be personal preference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts