Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
The CVT + 1.5 liter turbo has very few problems regarding the CVT , even in high mileage cars, as I understand it. I know it's not a truck - I'm talking CR-V & Accord. Sure, you get oil dilution possibly, but just change the oil more often. I'm definitely gonna test drive a 2023 CR-V if it ever comes out. I like my 2022 Ridgeline - it's just so heavy, guzzles gas, has loud wind noise in crosswinds, but mostly I miss that CVT feel. I think Honda has minimized that rubber band-type feel along with the Turbo lag, so that it's pretty responsive when you suddenly gas it. Test drive a 2022 if you can find one. I'm telling you Honda really has the CVT / 1.5T combo DIALED IN. It's a JOY to drive. I almost bought one and decided last minute on the Ridgeline. I like this Ridgeline too. But the CR-V just seemed so balanced in every way. Only bad thing I saw was the rotten in fotainment system, just like in the Ridgeline. But maybe they will update it for 2023 CR-V.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The CVT + 1.5 liter turbo has very few problems regarding the CVT , even in high mileage cars, as I understand it. I know it's not a truck - I'm talking CR-V & Accord. Sure, you get oil dilution possibly, but just change the oil more often. I'm definitely gonna test drive a 2023 CR-V if it ever comes out. I like my 2022 Ridgeline - it's just so heavy, guzzles gas, has loud wind noise in crosswinds, but mostly I miss that CVT feel. I think Honda has minimized that rubber band-type feel along with the Turbo lag, so that it's pretty responsive when you suddenly gas it. Test drive a 2022 if you can find one. I'm telling you Honda really has the CVT / 1.5T combo DIALED IN. It's a JOY to drive. I almost bought one and decided last minute on the Ridgeline. I like this Ridgeline too. But the CR-V just seemed so balanced in every way. Only bad thing I saw was the rotten in fotainment system, just like in the Ridgeline. But maybe they will update it for 2023 CR-V.
Have you considered looking at a hybrid? No turbo, no 1.5t/CVT to deal with and better mpg's. I have a RAV4 hybrid very versatile vehicle, instant throttle response and an E-CVT is a different animal than a CVT. I had a CRV loaner while the CVT in my 15 CRV was being replaced and it was a nice package but the hybrid mpg's make ICE only consideration in that segment a negative.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You must have a different 9-speed than I have. The one in my '21 Ridgeline is good enough to have totally changed my attitude toward it.
Me too.

I was reluctant to get the 9-speed in 2020 and went with a leftover 2019 model. The old "never buy the first year" mantra. But since getting my 2021...I rarely notice the transmission. It just does what it's supposed to do. I can't fathom what people must be doing to have any complaints about the 9-speed.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Have you considered looking at a hybrid? No turbo, no 1.5t/CVT to deal with and better mpg's. I have a RAV4 hybrid very versatile vehicle, instant throttle response and an E-CVT is a different animal than a CVT. I had a CRV loaner while the CVT in my 15 CRV was being replaced and it was a nice package but the hybrid mpg's make ICE only consideration in that segment a negative.
I would consider looking at a hybrid. Maybe the 2023 CR-V would have a version. Not sure about a RAV 4, since I'm used to Honda now.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
One consideration is cost, and the hybrid costs more. Not sure about future maintenance costs of the hybrid.
The hybrid powertrain adds $1,200 to the price of a CR-V

The CR-V's combined MPG rating is 38 vs. 29 for the non-hybrid.

The annual fuel cost to drive a CR-V 12,000 miles at $4.00/gallon is $1,655.

The annual fuel cost to drive a CR-V hybrid the same distance is $1,263.

At current fuel prices, the hybrid will pay for itself in three years after which you'll save nearly $400/yr. in fuel costs. If you drive more than 12,000 miles per year or gasoline prices go even higher, the payback time will be even shorter.

The hybrid requires no more maintenance than the non-hybrid. In fact, the maintenance intervals can be longer. The battery pack is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles in 47 states and 10/150 in 13 states, but is likely to last much longer.

Over a typical, 5-year car loan, you'll spend $20 more a month on your car payment for the hybrid version, but you'll save $33 per month on gas. There's really no reason to buy the non-hybrid CR-V over the hybrid version.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If i am going to buy hybrid, Toyota is the way to go.
One word of caution with the Toyota AWD Hybrid. There is no rear driveshaft, only an electric motor. The cable to this motor has had instances of rusting out in salty areas mostly Canada. There is no way to get this part warrantied past the 3/36 and it's about $6500 Canadian to fix. More data and time is needed to determine if it's a big problem. Toyota has investigated but up to this point they made a revision to the part but have not extended any warranty protection past the 3/36. The issue is starting to get media attention.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
The hybrid powertrain adds $1,200 to the price of a CR-V

The CR-V's combined MPG rating is 38 vs. 29 for the non-hybrid.

The annual fuel cost to drive a CR-V 12,000 miles at $4.00/gallon is $1,655.

The annual fuel cost to drive a CR-V hybrid the same distance is $1,263.

At current fuel prices, the hybrid will pay for itself in three years after which you'll save nearly $400/yr. in fuel costs. If you drive more than 12,000 miles per year or gasoline prices go even higher, the payback time will be even shorter.

The hybrid requires no more maintenance than the non-hybrid. In fact, the maintenance intervals can be longer. The battery pack is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles in 47 states and 10/150 in 13 states, but is likely to last much longer.

There's really no reason to buy the non-hybrid CR-V over the hybrid version.
And at least on the Camry hybrid, the brake pads almost never wear out due to the regenerative braking. I imagine the CRV would be similar in that respect.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I would consider looking at a hybrid. Maybe the 2023 CR-V would have a version. Not sure about a RAV 4, since I'm used to Honda now.
If i am going to buy hybrid, Toyota is the way to go.
I’ve owned Hondas almost without break since 1975 and Toyotas/Lexuses since the ‘80s. Hybrid- we had a 2006 Lexus RX400h until 2016 (11 years old, 156,000 miles). It was totally trouble-free! We replaced it with a 2016 RX350 but missed the hybrid and got a ‘21 Venza Limited in Oct, ‘21. The sophistication of the Rav4 and Venza hybrid system is unequaled, imo. I like the feel of Honda products but the quality of the Toyota products. Toyota truly has hybrids refined like no other car manufacturer, imo. Toyotas just get more reliable. Honda, not my experience. I’d choose a RL over any other truck (for my use) but a Toyota hybrid over any Honda hybrid.
Been there, done that.

Reactions: 14v6 and Madtiger11

·
Registered
335 Posts
I’ve owned Hondas almost without break since 1975 and Toyotas/Lexuses since the ‘80s. Hybrid- we had a 2006 Lexus RX400h until 2016 (11 years old, 156,000 miles). It was totally trouble-free! We replaced it with a 2016 RX350 but missed the hybrid and got a ‘21 Venza Limited in Oct, ‘21. The sophistication of the Rav4 and Venza hybrid system is unequaled, imo. I like the feel of Honda products but the quality of the Toyota products. Toyota truly has hybrids refined like no other car manufacturer, imo. Toyotas just get more reliable. Honda, not my experience. I’d choose a RL over any other truck (for my use) but a Toyota hybrid over any Honda hybrid.
Been there, done that.
Yeah, i like Toyota hybrid the most. (Although secretly, i love the F150 Hybrid with the Pro Power generator.).

As for Toyota quality, i don’t know. My previous Toyota was a 2017 Sienna Limited. Powertrain was great! Ran till 130k without a hiccup. BUT, the interior rattled like an old school bus! I counted at least 7 different rattles from inside. Nothing fell down mind you but the interior quality was lackluster. My brother’s Tacoma…same thing, rattles. My Ridgeline has some occasional rattles but not bad and not consistent. Weird! My LC has been rattle free…but it doubles the cost of everything else that i have experience with.

Reactions: SEW

·
Premium Member
22 Honda Ridgeline BE
34 Posts
We've had our 17 CRV Touring for over five years now. It has been an excellent car. Just routine maintenance, a set of tires, a battery, and shifter knob. The 1.5T is great, plenty of low end torque and plenty of passing power. It handles great and has limousine rear leg room. It's a little tight for my 6ft2 frame but since it's my wife's car, it really is not an issue. Gas mileage has been in the mid 20's in the city and 33-38mpg on the highway, depending on speed limits.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yeah, i like Toyota hybrid the most. (Although secretly, i love the F150 Hybrid with the Pro Power generator.).

As for Toyota quality, i don’t know. My previous Toyota was a 2017 Sienna Limited. Powertrain was great! Ran till 130k without a hiccup. BUT, the interior rattled like an old school bus! I counted at least 7 different rattles from inside. Nothing fell down mind you but the interior quality was lackluster. My brother’s Tacoma…same thing, rattles. My Ridgeline has some occasional rattles but not bad and not consistent. Weird! My LC has been rattle free…but it doubles the cost of everything else that i have experience with.
Toyota body integrity seems to vary considerably between models with the two you mentioned (Tacoma & Sienna) seeming to have the most rattles I’ve noticed. None on my ‘17 and ‘22 RL. I love LCs except for fuel economy (an oxymoron).

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
477 Posts
Me too. I was reluctant to get the 9-speed in 2020 and went with a leftover 2019 model. The old "never buy the first year" mantra. But since getting my 2021...I rarely notice the transmission. It just does what it's supposed to do. I can't fathom what people must be doing to have any complaints about the 9-speed.
Oh a myriad of reasons the buttons confuse me the paddles are intimidating yada yada yada one sad jeremiad after another... :LOL:

·
Registered
619 Posts
With 600kms on my '22 I think I like the way the '17 6spd performed vs the newer 9spd.

I like the paddles but hate the "speeding up" feeling when changing gears manually during deceleration.

My 6spd did have some troubling shifts during extreme cold. It was a concern.

...and my seat of the pants dyno says the 6spd made for a quicker truck vs the 9spd.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
...and my seat of the pants dyno says the 6spd made for a quicker truck vs the 9spd.
Your SotP dyno needs recalibrating. :)

According to Car and Driver instrumented testing:

0-60 = 6.6 seconds
1/4-mile = 15.2 seconds @ 93 MPH

0-60 = 6.2 seconds
1/4-mile = 15.0 seconds @ 93 MPH

A 2020-2023 Ridgeline with the 9-speed launches much harder than the 2017-2019 with the 6-speed. A 6-speed Ridgeline will never catch up with a 9-speed Ridgeline.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts