Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ROC,

I've followed as a non-member for years but finally joined up after recently stopping at a dealership to check out a Gen 2. In "my opinion" the Gen 1 is a far better model for a host of reasons (main the Gen 2 is like a mutant centar - half Ridgeline legs with a Pilot upper body). I want to share the story of my Ridgeline so it is preserved forever and for everyone to see that these are some seriously amazing vehicles.

In 2008, I purchased a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RT used with 27,000 miles on it. Black in color with the the two two gray and tan interior. I just moved to Arizona and after selling my car in Pennsylvania I was looking for some new wheels. I never owned a Honda before and I happened to just stop by the dealership on a whim. I gave it a test drive and it handles very nice and as I never even owned a pickup before I was excited about not needing to borrow a truck in the untold number of situations when I pickup is needed.

From 2008 to 2013, I did not do anything to my Ridgeline in terms of upgrading it, tricking it out, etc. All I did was maintenance. I took it on trips to California, New Mexico, and all around Arizona. It always handled flawlessly. During those years I had my spouses car (a swanky Honda Civic) and a motorcycle to wheel around in, so the Ridgeline was just a means of transportation to me and not really about fun. In 2013, I opted to add a hitch as I was getting ready to move into a new place and wanted the ability to tow a traveler. That was the first and last thing I did for some time.

Fast forward to 2015, the year of hell. After suffering an injury at work I was down on my luck and as fate has it sometimes, it likes to kick you when you're down. So needless to say fate really stuck it to me. While driving home from Target one night, a lady going around 35 mph, t-boned me right in my driver side. Luckily she hit me right in the B pillar and other then some scrapes and bruising, I walked away unscathed. My poor Ridgeline did not. The craziest park is both doors still opened and it was drive-able!! I knew Ridgeline's were 5 star rated but to take a hit like that and still be drive-able is really a testament to its design. So for the next 6-8 weeks my poor Ridgeline was in the shop. $10,000 worth of damage later, I finally got my Ridgeline back with a nice new paint job on only the driver side.

My bad luck was not over, as about two weeks later, while merging on to the freeway at 65 mph, I was side swiped by a BMW X5 SUV. Both of us tried to merge into the same lane at the same time and were in each others blind spots. BMW's have automatic lane correction, so after side swiping me, in the rear quarter panel, the vehicle tried to push me out of the lane and re-struck the driver side door, and then the front driver side wheel well, knocking out the traction control system. I thought, "WTF!!!???" as I got out of my Ridgeline but again was unscathed. The BMW driver and passenger were unscathed as it is a pretty tough vehicle as well. We shook hands, exchanged information, and waited for the police to take a report. Both troopers were amazed that the vehicles were still drive-able. So I drove, about 20 miles back to the auto-shop with no traction control (which I DO NOT recommend) but took it easy. Once there, the poor body shop owner looked completely dumbfounded as all of the hard work repairing it for the past 6 weeks went out the window. I chuckled to myself at the irony of the situation. So, 4 weeks later and another $8,000 worth of damage, I had my Ridgeline back and again with one brightly fresh black painted side.

After my first accident, and driving around in a Chevy Aveo (so embarrassing....) because that was all my insurance rental coverage was good for at the time, I upped my rental coverage to $50.00 a day. As a side note, if you can afford it, DO IT!! So, on my second accident I was able to take a brand new Dodge Challenger as a rental. I fell in love with the Challenger as it is one [email protected]$$ sports car. Almost to the point, I was ready to trade in my Ridgeline and go back to being just a car household. However, since my Ridgeline was paid off and only had 85,000 miles on it (again, I had a motorcycle so I was offsetting at least 5-7,000 miles per year), I could not in good conscious abandon it. It was at that moment that I decided I would take it from stock to something I always wanted, a bad ass truck.

So, I decided I will spend $5,000 in parts to fix it up and make it mine. So since 2015, I have done the following:

Kenwood DNX573S Deck - (Really high end unit)
4 Alpine 6x9s
Alpine 600watt amp

Matte Black Paint
GoRhino 4000 series side steps
Blackhorse brush guard
Black Rhino 17" Warlord Rims
New Tint
Weathertech window deflectors
Bug Deflector

Future plans:
Redo interior in gray leather
GoRhino SR Rack with 4 light pods
24" LED Bar on the brush guard
Rhino line the bed
Dark Red rear tail lights
New Front lens (mine are shot)
LED front headlight bulbs
Light smoke front / rear film on covers

Here are some pictures of my baby from the accident through its new and improved look....

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a nightmare to keep clean but when its clean it look awesome. Daily people ask me if it's wrapped and I tell them, "No. It's paint." and then they perplexed look and "Really...???" is the follow up. It's at least a great conversation starter.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these type of things happen in threes. It's due one more clobbering before it moves on to someone else.

Keep that insurance current and always wear your seatbelts.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Crazy Story Big Mocca,

Glad to know your OK, and so is your G1 RL, looks good.

Carsmak

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I really like the matt paint job and you say you did all those upgrades for $5K. Did you do the paint job yourself?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts