Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought for sure when I bought the truck that my idle was around 750, even 700... now I see it consistently sitting at 900 rpm, with no AC or heat running... is that high?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I will have to check that out when I go to pick up my wife this evening. It does sound a little high, have you tried tapping the gas pedal while it is in neutral to see if it goes lower then? I have noticed something I have wondered about, going down a long hill at around 60, sometimes the RPMs drop from about 1800 to 1100. I know there isn't another gear above 5 so what is the cause of that? I can't seem to get it to happen if I try, it seems to only happen when I am least paying attention.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
captmiddy said:
I will have to check that out when I go to pick up my wife this evening. It does sound a little high, have you tried tapping the gas pedal while it is in neutral to see if it goes lower then?
I think I've tried that, but I'll have to try it again, just to be sure.

captmiddy said:
I have noticed something I have wondered about, going down a long hill at around 60, sometimes the RPMs drop from about 1800 to 1100. I know there isn't another gear above 5 so what is the cause of that? I can't seem to get it to happen if I try, it seems to only happen when I am least paying attention.
Interesting... could it correlate to your AC compressor cutting off, perhaps? What if you were in 4th for going up the hill, and the car didn't shift to 5th until well into the downhill? That wouldn't necessarily be a good thing, but it would explain it...

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
flymuck said:
I thought for sure when I bought the truck that my idle was around 750, even 700... now I see it consistently sitting at 900 rpm, with no AC or heat running... is that high?
I'll have to check mine and see. Could it be the "choke" from the cooler weather making it idle higher while cold?

(Not sure if choke is still the proper term on the newer vehicles.)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ladyridge said:
I'll check mine too but I don't think it goes under 2400 rpm's :eek:
Um, I hope you're kidding!!

As for the temp thing, I meant to say that I check this after the engine is fully warmed up... I'd expect the idle to be higher when it's cold out and the engine is cold...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
IIRC my idle has always been about 900.

I have noticed something I have wondered about, going down a long hill at around 60, sometimes the RPMs drop from about 1800 to 1100. I know there isn't another gear above 5 so what is the cause of that?
That is what occurs with most automatic transmissions. It drops out of torque converter lock-up and tries to go to idle. The drag from the torque converter prevents the rpm from actually hitting idle speed. It is coasting. However, with the RL, if you begin going too fast and step on the brake for a short time, the transmission will then get the message that you want to go slower and will lock the torque converter again and even downshift if the grade is steep enough. Honda calls it Grade Logic and it is also on the Accord, and maybe other models.
It works even better on cruise control. In most instances, you will not even have to touch the brake.

L

·
0 Posts
flymuck said:
Um, I hope you're kidding!!

As for the temp thing, I meant to say that I check this after the engine is fully warmed up... I'd expect the idle to be higher when it's cold out and the engine is cold...
NOPE!! I like to drive reeeeeeaaaaallll fast!! :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
mine 8 days old and:D has 400kms at idles at 900rpm.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
From the shop manual:

Idle speed: 730 +/- 50 rpm, with or without electrical load

So you're a little high (Ahhh the good old days...:) )

I would keep an eye on it and run this tank of gas out of it. If halfway through the next tank, the idle is still up, see the dealer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
shovelhd said:
From the shop manual:

Idle speed: 730 +/- 50 rpm, with or without electrical load

So you're a little high (Ahhh the good old days...:) )

I would keep an eye on it and run this tank of gas out of it. If halfway through the next tank, the idle is still up, see the dealer.

FWIW....I AGREE WITH SHOVELHD. (though he has manual, so duh)....mine idles at 700rpm......900 is definately high............flymuck, i would take it in and have them adjust it. simple adjustment for them im sure.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks -- I'll keep an eye on it and take it in... but I have a feeling they'll say it's normal, esp. since other people are idling at 900 rpm too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts