Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not being dramatic, I've searched but apparently Im the only one who done this and need help on how to proceed.

I change all my fluids - This time it was dark and cold and I was wrapping up things as fast as I could when changing.

2 weeks later. 20 mins of driving so far today and I feel like the tranny shifting is acting like the build is low. .. so I pull over, check it and the dip isn't even wet. I get home and see in fact I missed 3/4 of a quart, so I put in the 3/4 of a quart and let it sit for a min. Checked the dip and it's still dry.. Im like what they heck - I have about 1/4 quart left in another space bottle of fluid and so I put that in. . it's still dry looking. I put back on the fill bolt and turn the truck on for about 5 mins top warm up (again) and I started pouring the old oils from 2 weeks ago in old containers.

When I turn around and there's fluid coming out on the Passenger side, (seeing it's the overflow) I drained out about 1 Full Quart quart from the drain bolt, and all the fluid is not pinkish now.

Tell me I didn't just kill my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Check your fluid with the engine at operating temperature, but turned off (on level ground). If you have been running the vehicle, turn it off and let the fluid settle for a minute or so. The fluid should be between the two marks on the dipstick. If it is, you are ok. If not, adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ran it up to temp, then put it in Drive - It won't kick into gear - Even after removing about 1 Full Quart - the the fluid is still about 2" above Max Line.

Should I drain more???

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I am not aware of any "overflow bolt" for the transmission but heck I could be wrong. The transmission has a fill bolt on top and drain bolt at the base. . . .

It sounds like you had a SMOD incident right after you changed your transmission fluid. Don't run your vehicle anymore! Check the connections to the oil to coolant heat exchanger on the Radiator. I suspect you will find a loose connection. If you have had a SMOD incident you will need a new radiator and a case of transmission fluid to attempt to flush all of the coolant / transmission fluid mix out of your transmission. You will do a dump and fill 4 times and see how the fluid looks. Read up on SMOD if you are unaware / looking for what to do. . .

Hopefully I am misunderstanding what you are describing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey @eurban I never said an Overflow Bolt. - Now sure where you saw that.

I changed the trans oil 2 weeks ago. The dip stick was dry today with the truck off, and at temp. I went home and added 3/4 of a quart and still looked dry, I added more, still dry, so I turned it on and warmed it up, when the OVERFLOW spat out the frothy pink. I drained 1 full quart and the overflow still is 2" over - Transmission won't engage any gears.

I waited about 30 mins and then checked the Dip stick, still dry, brought it up to temp, still dry. Nothing shows up there not he dip stick... I bought a Radiator and it's in my basement as a just in case. I ever had the break from rust.. I'll check the connections tomorrow but that would be very random and still won't explain why my dipstick is clean every time I check it. But again it looks like it all come out of the Overflow next to the Windowwasher fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
See this...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The OVERFLOW as you call it is the COOLANT RESERVOIR not the overflow from the transmission . . .STOP RUNNING YOUR TRUCK!!! You have had a SMOD incident and you should start reading up on it. The reason why you are seeing nothing on the dipstick is that the fluid is all draining out from the broken connector (external leak) or dumping into the radiator through an internal leak at the Oil (transmission fluid) to Coolant heat exchanger inside the radiator.

You may be lucky if the the transmission didn't suck in the coolant / transmission fluid mixture but it isn't clear if that has happened or not based your description of the events.

Read up on SMOD and get yourself some transmission fluid and coolant to go with your new radiator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To clarify: There were no leaks, no hard shifts, just a little off. on the gear one when coming out of park and starting to drive - Im a always better safe than sorry.. When I checked the dipstick the first time, again no leaks) Temperature was fine. It's only when I added the extra ATF fluid this all hit the fan.. Again I drained 1 Qt. and can take picture of it if needed.

How would I know if the Trans sucked in Coolant?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @heli I read that before posting, and It doesn't describe my situation. Also doesn't also help with a resolution, tutorial or anything technically.

I took all the clips, shields and brackets off and the "rusted fitting" issue, doesn't look like it has happened to me - Now I got my radiator like 9 months ago and planned on replacing it at some point. But not because I needed to just because preventative. There's not a lot on SMOD on Youtube, or Google. Also not a lot of good tutorials on Youtube for replacing the radiator. 1 really bad one.. 24mins wasted lol

Also that guys said his tranny was completely dry - I only had about 10 cups of fluid come out and on the ground. And I emptied 1 full quart out of the drain plug with more coming out. I kept the Fill plug plugged as to keep some pressure so it all doesn't rush out. but had the dipstick pulled up a tad..

See this...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
How do you know if your transmission sucked in coolant? SMOD is Strawberry Milkshake of Death. Does your transmission fluid look pink (instead of red) and all foamy? Kind of like a strawberry milkshake . . .

To put it simply, you are getting transmission fluid in your coolant reservoir. There is only one way for that to happen and that's through a failure in the heat exchanger system that is inside your radiator. I doesn't matter whether or not your are seeing issues on your fittings, you have a leak between the coolant and the transmission fluid.

You talked at one point that your fluid is pink and foamy looking? Is that on the dipstick / from the transmission when you drained off some fluid or what you are seeing in the coolant reservoir? If its from the transmission then your transmission is contaminated with coolant and may or may not be rescueable with multiple drain and fills. If its just in the coolant reservoir then you may have gotten off lucky. Either way you need to stop running your vehicle and replace the radiator, coolant and transmission fluid.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey @eurban.... when the OVERFLOW spat out the frothy pink. I drained 1 full quart and the overflow still is 2" over - Transmission won't engage any gears.

... But again it looks like it all come out of the Overflow next to the Windowwasher fluid.

Absent pics or video, those two statements above are what's concerning in terms of possible SMOD.
That overflow is for the cooling system, which should never be spewing any trans fluid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really do appreciate the time you are taking with me -

Yes when I trained the 1 Full Quart from the drain plug it was the not normal Tranny oil color, pink and looking,I only ran it for about 5 mins total after the spew.. after I drained it - I warned it up and then tried to Put it in drive and it would, tried reverse, and it went with a little extra effort than normal, but then of course wouldn't go back in D. I haven't started it since. That being said.

Dipstick is still dry, Reservoir on top has the pink, but I shined a flash light at the plastic and inside look Blueish Green - (ill have to take off tomorrow to see inside, but yea def blueish green color.

Do you guys know if anyone other than the dealer sells the Honda ATC fluid, I always get fine on Amazon. Figure the dealer will be way more expensive -

You seem to know a lot about this SMOD - Do you know of a video tutorial on how to do this flush to get all out of the Tranny?

thanks

How do you know if your transmission sucked in coolant? SMOD

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Ran it up to temp, then put it in Drive - It won't kick into gear - Even after removing about 1 Full Quart - the the fluid is still about 2" above Max Line.

Should I drain more???
I was trying to get back to you earlier before I had to leave my house again, but the website was down.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I really do appreciate the time you are taking with me -

Yes when I trained the 1 Full Quart from the drain plug it was the not normal Tranny oil color, pink and looking,I only ran it for about 5 mins total after the spew.. after I drained it - I warned it up and then tried to Put it in drive and it would, tried reverse, and it went with a little extra effort than normal, but then of course wouldn't go back in D. I haven't started it since. That being said.

Dipstick is still dry, Reservoir on top has the pink, but I shined a flash light at the plastic and inside look Blueish Green - (ill have to take off tomorrow to see inside, but yea def blueish green color.

Do you guys know if anyone other than the dealer sells the Honda ATC fluid, I always get fine on Amazon. Figure the dealer will be way more expensive -

You seem to know a lot about this SMOD - Do you know of a video tutorial on how to do this flush to get all out of the Tranny?

thanks
If you want your fluid now you will need to get it at the dealer. I think you can get it Amazon Prime. Its Honda DW1 by the way that you need.

Honda coolant is blue. Get yourself plenty of that as well. You might(?) consider running just distilled water in your cooling system at first just to let it circulate and hopefully get some of the ATF out of the cooling passages in the engine etc. Dump that and repeat until it looks clean. . . .

You have some work to do but hopefully it will turn out all right.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Is there a Tutorial on this?? If I hav some work to do, I'd like to know WHAT to do.
You will probably need to dump and fill the transmission fluid at least 4 times.
For the first fill up it may be a bit of work to get the fluid level in the transmission up to the correct amount. It is possible that your vehicle's particular failure has pumped out more fluid than it has sucked in and the transmission internals might be lower on fluid than would be drained on a typical dump an fill. Basically once you have corrected the radiator issue, drain the transmission and add the normal amount of fluid for a dump and fill and then run the vehicle to warm it up, shut it off and check the level. If its still not showing then add some more (maybe a quart?) till you get the level right on the dipstick. If you over shoot the mark, try and drain a bit out. Now you have gotten the level correct but there will still be contamination.
Between each d&f you will drive it a bit . . .maybe only a short trip between 1st and 2nd going through all the gears. You can then drive it a bit further between (maybe 20miles?) for the next two. If by the fourth d&f the fluid is looking good and the transmission is behaving well then you can be cautiously optimistic and resume a more normal interval for the fluid change. If it was my vehicle and I planned to keep it a good while, I would probably do a d&f at the next couple of oil changes and then resume the factory interval. Obviously if its not shifting well enough to do this then you are looking at a transmission replacement. . .Presumably you have already done a d&f so there should be no tutorial needed.
For the radiator you can search this site or youtube for a walk through but its really not very difficult. Just make sure your replacement radiator is in good shape (lots are damaged in shipping) and a proper match for your vehicle. Assuming that its aftermarket give it a good looking over as quality control for the Chinese stuff if pretty lax. If you are really feeling motivated, have it pressure tested prior to install. As I mentioned before you may want to run just distilled water in it (rather than the expensive honda coolant) at first, bring it up to temp (T stat opens) and then cool it down and drain it out. You could do this any number of times till you are confident that the ATF is no longer present. Drain again and fill it up with Honda Blue coolant (premixed!) once you are satisfied that the plumbing is clean.
Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
thanks
I bought gallons of tranny fluid and motor oil from WalMart.com... I've always watched the local ads and stocked up when it was on sale, WalMart .com had the lowest price I'd ever paid and with the quantity shipping was free, AND it was delivered the next day... I drop the 3 to 4 quarts every 3 to 4 months as general maintenance... In fact tomorrow I'm doing it...

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
I bought gallons of tranny fluid and motor oil from WalMart.com... I've always watched the local ads and stocked up when it was on sale, WalMart .com had the lowest price I'd ever paid and with the quantity shipping was free, AND it was delivered the next day... I drop the 3 to 4 quarts every 3 to 4 months as general maintenance... In fact tomorrow I'm doing it...
Wait. You do a drain and fill on your transmission 3-4 times per year with transmission fluid you get from Walmart? I'm assuming it's not Honda DW-1 fluid? You do know that Honda transmissions are not like other transmissions that can accept a plain old universal fluid? And you only need to do ONE drain and fill every 30k miles or so with normal driving? This entire thread has me incredibly confused from the OP saying that tranny fluid was spewing from some passenger side overflow tank somehow to coolant being blue-green to Walmart transmission fluid changes every 3 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts