Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Houston and actually need my A/C to work. Sorry to those who are freezing right now. My blowers are running and everything is functioning except I am not getting cold air. It (cold) kicks on and off. every once in a while I will get a few minutes of cold followed by a weird damp smell and then back to ambient/warm air. Please advise as I have baby twins at home and can't afford to replace A/C or drive them around in the heat.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check the filter for sure, but not sure if that would cause the AC to only blow cold intermittently.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You may just need to get your A/C system charged. If it's low, you can get erratic performance. That happened to my daughter's Nissan Rogue.... I was skeptical, since no leaks were reported (and this was the dealer, so you know they would have done/charged for any extra service needed); but it has been 9 months now & it's still going strong.
Personally I don't understand how the system can "run low" on coolant charge w/o a leak, but there you go......

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,606 Posts
It can't. Leak MIGHT of somehow plugged itself or perhaps someone messed with a fitting / charge port.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the same thing on mine. Turned out to be a leaking Schrader valve. Replaced,recharged, perfect ever since.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Schrader valve's leak so often that usually before the system is pulled down on vacuum that most of your better AC Tech's will replace it first, sorry but there just too simple/cheap to waste any time on it

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the AC clutch relay switch in the under hood fuse box ($34 at Honda Dealership). BOOM- nice cold AC again. Thanks for the help. It saved me a lot in mechanic bills.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thought so... My philosophy always start simple

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while, but after my a/c started playing games (103k) and today would not blow cold again, i did a search and rectified my problem by swapping the "heated seat" relay with the "a/c clutch" relay. Bingo problem solved. Except the wife reaches for that seat button year round for some reason, i never use it. I will get a new one though, just in case the a/c goes again i will know where my spare is. Always helpful this site. :act035:

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while, but after my a/c started playing games (103k) and today would not blow cold again, i did a search and rectified my problem by swapping the "heated seat" relay with the "a/c clutch" relay. Bingo problem solved. Except the wife reaches for that seat button year round for some reason, i never use it. I will get a new one though, just in case the a/c goes again i will know where my spare is. Always helpful this site. :act035:
I would install the new relay and keep the other for a spare. It has been reported that the newer relays were revised internally to alleviate such issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts