Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My A/C was working when I went out today. Stopped off some place, when I came out 15 minutes or so later, I turned on the truck, 30 seconds later I noticed that the A/C that was in the on position was not working. Turned it off and on and it started working.

Assuming it sounds like the relay to you guys can someone point out where the relay is?

Thanks

ps. I was going to post in LarryT's thread but didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
AC compressor clutch relay is under the hood, front fuse box front relay. if you have heated seats you can swap the relays. Once you determine that is the problem, I found Auto Zone the cheapest. Less than $7.

·
Super Moderator
22,673 Posts
There are several relays associated with the AC. Was it the compressor clutch relay?

Another look:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the compressor clutch relay is what I was going replace this morning but frankly I have no idea which a/c relay or if its even a relay issue. I just figured for the cost, it can't hurt try it before taking it in to be looked at. I was also hoping someone with more experience would recognise the symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
22,673 Posts
Since you have an RT, you won't have a heated seat relay. Swap the heated windshield relay with the ac clutch relay and see if that fixes the issue. If so, buy a new relay and replace as needed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Speed - posted a great diagram. The clutch relay is front row center. My problem was AC blower came on it was cold, then it quite being cold, this happened a few times then just no cold air at all. So I got out and tried to add Freon but it was full, so I checked relay and it was bad. That's when I did the swap with the heated seat relay (they are the same). It is still blowing cold air.
Now if your blower is not working it could be the blower motor relay under the dash.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Speedlever, will do. Problem is the symptom is intermittent. I could wait until it gets worse, I just don't want to find out for sure it's the relay by having stuck on and my battery drain. Still your advice is good.

@Oddjob, diagram shows it under hood beside clutch relay, not "under the dash" or am I misunderstanding?

thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
22,673 Posts
Yes, the blower motor relay is in the primary underhood fuse box as shown above. However, there are a couple of fuses that should be checked:

One in the primary underhood fuse box (#21)

and one in the underdash fuse box (#30)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, the blower stopped working all together today. A/C on or off. No blower. Just to be clear if it's not obvious, A/c doesn't matter, no heat blower either.

I checked the relays under hood primary by switching the blower motor relay with the heated windshield wiper relay. Checked the compressor clutch with a new one. Fuse 21 there also checked.

Under dash I checked number 30 fuse.

I can't get to the aux fuse box easily it seems, so haven't checked that.

Unless I missed something you guys can point out tonight (besides aux) I guess I have to take it in, in the morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I took it in to my mechanic's shop, it turned out to be a fried wire behind console some place, I think he said at a connector that had a bunch of wires in behind the 12v sockets.

I suggested it might have been something I did when adding an add-a-circuit but he insisted this was a common problem from what he read online when downloading the wiring sheet. Not sure how factual that is but it made me feel better. Anyway for whomever wants to know. $140 all in, basically for diagnostics as connectors cost pennies. I was content.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Diagnosis does not come cheap. Glad it's fixed and things are normal again. Might be helpful to know the location of this connector if you happen to find out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I agree. He said it's easy to see where it is. He said two "tabs" to get behind console. Haven't tried going behind there yet. If anyone can point out a thread with a pics on how to get back there I'll have a go. If I do go back there I'll take a pic and post it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question: why are people suggesting the ac clutch relay is front and center in the primary box? Isn't it actually the lower box near the washer fluid tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
Looking at this diagram, there are two relays for the AC

Attachments

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I fixed a deteriorating A/C problem on short order.

Symptoms: A/C had been working fine. Then is stopped cooling. The A/C clutch would not engage like it was low on refrigerant. I checked and refrigerant level (I have gauges) and all all was in order. No leaking Schrader valves.

So I tapped on the A/C clutch relay and the clutch engaged. Now I'm closing in on the problem.

On removing the A/C clutch relay, it was extremely hot to the touch. Like too hot to handle.

So I checked the AdvanceAuto web site looking to see if my neighborhood store had a SMP Intermotor Honda relay in stock. It turns out the relay is not listed as an A/C relay. It is just listed as a Honda Ridgeline relay. I stopped by the store and replaced the old relay with with a new relay Intermotor Part Number R6242 in in the parking lot. The cost was $6.29.

That fixed it.

Pictures

Old Relay on the Right

After Replacement

A few years ago I replaced the A/C resistor with an Intermotor part when the fan stopped working. That part has been working great.

Here's a picture of the fan resistor replacement from a few years ago. The Intermotor replacement was a Denso.

Problem solved. A/C is working great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts