Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Is there a mileage based spreadsheet anywhere that has the Gen 2 Ridgeline maintenance schedule on it?

2) Is the oil change alert based on mileage, time, driving habits or a combination of the three?

3) Right now my unit is at 12,500 miles with 90% oil life left. Does anyone have an educated/experience based guess on the mileage when the oil change alert will pop up? What is the percentage that triggers the alert?

Sorry for the questions but I'm a mileage or runtime based maintenance person. I'm not sure how to deal with the Honda computer based alert system.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
190 Posts
The maintenance minder on Honda vehicles are now more advanced than the old style that simply counted the miles down. The new system monitors a myriad of conditions to run through an algorithm and give a more accurate oil change interval that changes depending on; engine temp, ambient temp, driving speed, engine RPM, and time (I may be missing a few contributing factors here). Therefore if you tow often or drive in very hot or very cold climates youR maintenance minder will request service more often. There is no mileage based maintenance chart because as stated above these intervals vary based on the driving and conditions.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
88 Posts
Wow... 12,500 miles and still at 90%... is that before the first oil change? That does seem like a lot of moderate speed freeway driving! Any chance somebody inadvertently reset it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
@zroger73 could shed more light on it. However, I doubt you are at 12K+ with only 10% of the oil life depleted. Can you provide more info on your vehicle? year, purchase date, purchased it new or used, who performed the maintenance thus far, etc etc?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
1) Is there a mileage based spreadsheet anywhere that has the Gen 2 Ridgeline maintenance schedule on it?

2) Is the oil change alert based on mileage, time, driving habits or a combination of the three?

3) Right now my unit is at 12,500 miles with 90% oil life left. Does anyone have an educated/experience based guess on the mileage when the oil change alert will pop up? What is the percentage that triggers the alert?

Sorry for the questions but I'm a mileage or runtime based maintenance person. I'm not sure how to deal with the Honda computer based alert system.

Thanks in advance
To confirm and add a bit to what was stated above...

Honda eliminated fixed distance-based service intervals about 15 years ago. Engine oil and transmission fluid life are calculated based on actual operating conditions so that you're changing those fluids only when necessary and not wastefully premature or harmfully late. Other services such as rear differential fluid, transfer fluid, air filters, coolant, spark plugs, timing belt, etc. are aligned with the closest oil change to when they are due to minimize the number of service trips (so that you don't perform one service then turn around a week later and have a different one due). All maintenance codes appear ONLY once the remaining oil life reaches 15%, so it is crucial to not reset the Maintenance Minder before it prompts you for maintenance.

Except on the 2018-current Honda Odyssey, the Maintenance Minder does NOT include time as a factor. Future models will include time as a factor as they are fully redesigned or introduced.

Once the system has calculated 15% engine oil life remaining, it will prompt you with the maintenance codes. For the average driver, the indicated oil life will decrease by 10% approximately every 1,000 miles, but this varies depending on climate, use, and driving style.

Did you buy the vehicle new or used? Have you had the oil changed yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We bought it used with 12K miles on it. We bought with the oil life at 100%. When the Odometer mileage hit around 12.5K miles the oil service life drop to 90%. I was wondering if the change was based only on miles driven or if there were enviromental conditions taken into account.

Thanks for the help sorry to take so long to get back to you.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
We bought it used with 12K miles on it. We bought with the oil life at 100%. When the Odometer mileage hit around 12.5K miles the oil service life drop to 90%. I was wondering if the change was based only on miles driven or if there were enviromental conditions taken into account.

Thanks for the help sorry to take so long to get back to you.
The calculated oil life is based on actual engine operating conditions rather than distance traveled or time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts