Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my silver RTS on May 12th and love it. A couple of things I need to know:

1. Is there any way to charge a cell phone or iPod without the key in the ignition? It's very convenient to charge overnight in the truck.

2. With the climate control turned off and the vents in the closed position, I still get air blowing into the cabin. Any way to really stop air blowing through the vents?

3. Any way to get the dash lights to turn off when the headlights are off? This unusual feature has resulted in me driving with my headlights off because the dash was illuminated.

I used the search option, but couldn't find specific soluitons.

jam

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
There is a dimmer switch for the dash lights located on the left hand side of the dash board. You can adjust the brightness of the dash lights, even with the headlights on. I don't know if you can turn them off completely, however.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Jam,

I believe those are three original questions.

Charge cell - All three power points are on the same circuit, switched by the ignition key. You would have to rewire one of them on a separate circuit to do what you want it to do. It wouldn't be hard.

Air vents - This bothers me at times since I don't use the climate control a whole lot this time of year. All modern vehicles have some sort of flow-through ventilation that is on all the time. The Ridgeline's is in your face, and it can be bothersome. On mine, it's only on the two outside vents. I know of no way to disable this.

Dash lites off - You can always turn the dimmer down, but if you really want the headlites on before dusk, look into the Hamsar DRL kits as discussed in this forum.

Enjoy your Ridgeline!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
For the airflow issue, try turning the fan speed to minimum and setting the function switch to floor only. I have not tried it on the Ridgeline but but it would be less noticable. Just a guess though.

I have a security background and strongly suggest that you do not charge your cell phone in your vehicle. The charger should be in your bedroom, especially if your bedroom is on the second floor of your home. If there is an intruder, a fire or other emergency at night and your telephone line is cut or otherwise out of service, if your cell phone is in your vehicle it will be of no use to you at all.

Change the batteries in your smoke detectors lately? One inside of every bedroom too, I hope.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jam 2004:

1. I had one of my outlets hot wired so my printer would not cut off. Works fine.

2. I've had the same problem with the lights. I mentioned that to the Honda Rep. that called. Sometimes when you are in a lighted area and the dash lights are on you can forget to trun on the head lights. Especially true for some of us long time Honda owners. I still turn on the wipers at times.

3. I'm not sure that this will work. Try cutting on the button that keeps the out side air from coming in. My A/C is on 99% of the time so I'm not sure that this will work. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Tigeer

·
Registered
109 Posts
Swampler has the right idea. On old vehicles you could just cut off the air but on new ones the only way I have been able to cut off all the air is just turning it from outside to inside (recirc).

No more air. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I'm going to alter the outlet to allow me to charge stuff. The vent issue will take some monkeying around I guess. The light thing has no real solution. I tired dimming them down but then they aren't illuminated at night when they need to be. I'm getting an after-market hitch installed this week (I hope). I'll ask the guy to "hot wire" the outlets at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts