Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last car was an Audi A4, and it had this really trick folding key. The key folded up into the fob and released when you pressed the little chrome button (you can see it in the linked pic). I carry my car key seperate from the others, so it was truly cool.
Okay, I'm having a slight case of the DT's. It was a fun car to drive. I'll be okay, I really like my Ridgeline.
But, does there exist a folding key for the Ridgeline? I guarantee, most of you would like one too.
I did a google and didn't find anything but the above link.
Thanks,
exa4 (Get it? ;))

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, maybe I don't want one.
Check this out.
Give some people badges, and..... :eek:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lingered_I said:
Check out this previous post on this subject.
Thanks, Lingered_I, for the link. I feel better now. :)
But I guess that means no. Do I sense a business opportunity?
Note that the Audi and the MBZ, and some others I'm sure, have the remote buttons and the key in the same fob. It also has little "bumps" by the buttons that make it easy to ID those buttons without looking. It's a nice feature.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
yes, i too have enjoyed the switchblade type keys from my old VW passat and Mercedez benz IR key. I've gotten used to german keys that when putting Honda key in my pocket it just kept poking my leg. Wish honda could have made something like the new VW passat, or Benz keys or something like a mixture of Benz and push button engine start.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
exa4 said:
Thanks, Lingered_I, for the link. I feel better now. :)
But I guess that means no. Do I sense a business opportunity?
Note that the Audi and the MBZ, and some others I'm sure, have the remote buttons and the key in the same fob. It also has little "bumps" by the buttons that make it easy to ID those buttons without looking. It's a nice feature.
You might stuggle with this entrprenureal idea as the key is pretty sophisticated in that it not only includes the radio transmitter but also has an rfid tag which is activated by a transducer located in the dashboard or steering column. This means that you can't start the vehicle with the wrong key.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lingered_I said:
You might stuggle with this entrprenureal idea as the key is pretty sophisticated in that it not only includes the radio transmitter but also has an rfid tag which is activated by a transducer located in the dashboard or steering column. This means that you can't start the vehicle with the wrong key.
I thought about that. One might be able to disassemble the Honda key and re-assemble it (the shaft and electronics) into the new fob with the hinge and release mechanism. But I lack the specific technical knowledge and the ambition to embark on such an adventure. I'm lazy, and I'd probably pay a fair price for a proven system rather than develop it.
I don't know about the Honda key, but you can re-program the Audi key yourself. Besides, I don't know how to spell "entrepreneurial". So I checked m-w.com. ;)
exa4

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exa, I think I know where you are coming from. My previous car was a 2000 Audi S4, which is a very well thought out and engineered vehicle. Just not very reliable. ;) There are quite a few things I miss from the Audi...the auto down/up windows...doors lock/unlock when YOU want them to...heated seats had 6 settings...steering wheel telescoped (Ridge wheel is too far away for my liking). Sunroof had auto open/close (no holding your finger on the button)...nice trip computer with MPG, miles to empty, avg MPG, etc etc. FULL size spare. Every stitch of the seats was leather, not just seating surfaces...radio stations showed the song playing (On the Ridge the XM does it, but not the radio??)...anyways, I digress. Each car is different, and takes time getting used to. Invariably the old one will have something that you miss. 12 years of Audis, and I miss the Audi stuff. But I do have a great Ridgeline that is light years more reliable than the Audi!!! I am happy with the Ridge, and think you will be too exa4...maybe when we win the lottery we can have both an Audi and the Ridge. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I miss the performance. Not to say the Ridge doesn't do very well in that department. I have to remind myself that it's a pickup. It drives more like a large, well balanced car than like a truck.
But that A4, with it's 3L engine and multitronic tranny, loved the turns. I never had any trouble with it even though I beat the heck out of it. Did you know there's a tattletail in the main computer? :eek:
Anyway, I'm getting a little old for that stuff, and I really need a truck. I made a good choice. 'Cept for the key. ;)
Yeah, my Ridgeline and a TT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a 2002 Jetta with the folding key. When it broke, the dealer wouldn't cover it on warranty [not part of the car they said!] and it was over $200 to replace.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't mind the size of the key or the fcat that it doesn't fold. I just wish it had an auxilliary button so that I could use the OEM Honda key with a remote car starter. Also I wish the key popped open the trunk, too.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Lingered_I said:
Check out this previous post on this subject.
Thanks for posting that link. That entire discussion happened while we were in Canada and I didn't read it.

I would pay for the folding key if it comes out. I carry my keys in my pocket. I, too, have opted for detachable keys so that I'm only taking the keys I need.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maple Ridge said:
I had a 2002 Jetta with the folding key. When it broke, the dealer wouldn't cover it on warranty [not part of the car they said!] and it was over $200 to replace.
That sucks!
My Audi key was for sure covered. I asked Maybe you should have pushed a little harder?
How the devil did you break it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craig said:
I don't mind the size of the key or the fcat that it doesn't fold. I just wish it had an auxilliary button so that I could use the OEM Honda key with a remote car starter. Also I wish the key popped open the trunk, too.
The remote unlocks the trunk. Doesn't it? I haven't tried, but I shall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Exa4, I didn't break it, the ring that attached it to other keys separated. It still worked, but if you tried to attach anything to the ring, it simply fell off. An engineer friend said it was a flaw in the steel, but no luck with Honda even after emails and phone calls to head office.

I stored the broken key and used the second key, then sold the car a few months later. My friend who bought the car didn't care so now it isn't a problem!

·
Registered
112 Posts
exa4 said:
The remote unlocks the trunk. Doesn't it? I haven't tried, but I shall.
Yeah, it unlocks the trunk but you have to open it manually. I would like a button on the key that actually pops open the trunk like some cars and SUVs do.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Craig said:
Yeah, it unlocks the trunk but you have to open it manually. I would like a button on the key that actually pops open the trunk like some cars and SUVs do.
Maybe there's an after-market device. It shouldn't be hard to rig something up. You can buy something called a "gas spring".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Maybe there's a hidden button....here's the story.
On my last car, a hatchback, it had a one-part key / remote (Mercedes). Well, apparently the case was designed by one company, the internals by another. They forgot to put the hatchback release button on the case, even thought it was built into the internals. Someone found it by accident one day that if you pushed real hard on the 'blank' area, the hatchback opened. It was fun to go show this to my dealer. :) Everyone raised hell with MB trying to get them to replace the cases but they wouldn't.
And yeah, I wish the key was folding / smaller or not as pointy. I always have to make sure the keys are on the outside of my pocket before I sit down.;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
scottIN said:
Maybe there's a hidden button....here's the story.
On my last car, a hatchback, it had a one-part key / remote (Mercedes). Well, apparently the case was designed by one company, the internals by another. They forgot to put the hatchback release button on the case, even thought it was built into the internals. Someone found it by accident one day that if you pushed real hard on the 'blank' area, the hatchback opened.
Hmmmmm . . . maybe if I randomly start pushing on all the flat areas of the dash I can find that darn trip computer button, or maybe, the rear defogger switch.

First one to find the trunk release on the key fob gets a cookie. Go!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts