Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

im in the market for a new vehicle and i am fairly certain that id like either a Ridgeline or a Civic. Im leaning towards the Ridgeline but i have a few concerns that i assumed you experts (owners) could help me with. First is, of course, fuel economy. i currently own a Ford Ranger and im pretty sick of the filling up every few days. I drive 40 miles to and from work each day so im in need of a more economic vehicle. I compared the trucks and the Ranger has slightly better numbers than the Ridgline, but that doesnt really give me the input from people that actually drive the truck. Because of my traveling needs i look at the Civic (hmmm....maybe an S200 now that i think about it, hehe) but i also require versatility. I need the spacious interior that both the Civic and the Ridgline provide. But whats sends me to the Ridgeline is the ability to carry large loads and people, the enigine power, and the overall presence that the vehicle carries. Not to mention all the cool buttons and gizmos that i can play with:D .....

Essentially what im asking is for you guys to sway me in either direction. I am certain i want a Honda, just which Honda should it be. Thanks for any help....

Warren

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
There are many, many threads on mileage already. Look around and you'll find the answer you're looking for.

I drive about 58 mile round trip per day to work, 40 of which are interstate, and I get around 18 mpg. Some get better mileage and some get worse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Welcome to ROC! Here are a couple links from within the forum about gas mileage... lots of info there
My 2 cents as someone who never had a car/truck longer than 6 to 12 months... the RL is here to stay unless Accura happens to come up with an upgraded version. Is the only truck that has car handling... snow, hands down best performance on the road! the list goes on!

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2645

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3745

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
First off welcome aboard.

If you are looking for a great commuter car that gets really good gas milage then you should probably look at the Civic Hybrid. I commute in my RL 20 miles round trip and I probably average 16 - 17 mpg. I didn't buy my truck for gas milage though. I bought it for versatility, safety, and ride plus its pretty darn cool. If those are the things you need in a vehicle then the RL should be what you lean toward.

BTW - 20+ MPG on the Highway

·
Registered
953 Posts
You will still need to fill up every 4-5 days with a Ridgeline and your commute. And if your issue is just going to the station then you will still be filling up the little 13 gallon tank often in a Civic but you will get double the mileage over a Ridgeline.

So it sounds like the question for you is going to the gas station vs cost of gas vs size and functionality of the vehicle.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Safety, comfort and the versatility of this truck is why I bought it. Not overly concerned with gas mileage as evidenced by our second vehicle the gas gulping Ford Expedition. In comparison, the Ridge gets fantastic gas mileage! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i just finish reading a few of the previous fuel posts, and i see a few things i could work on. Namely my lead foot:rolleyes: ! ive test driven the hybrid and well......ick. It just didnt feel like i was in a CAR. You know what i mean? And the more i look at this site....well, i guess you guys can guess what i may do sooner than i thought. I also test drove the Ridge yesterday and i was very impressed. Before August i was always 'anti-import'. "Hondas are just oversized lawnmowers" and "Hmm, look at the Matchbox car" are the things i use to say. Pretty sure i was a jackass. Fortunatly i saw the new civic commercial and was infected so i had to go see for myself exactly how poorly Honda did on the vaunted 'Motor Trend Car of the Year'. Poorly Indeed. With a turn of the key i swas shown my errors.

I do need to find a new Honda dealership. The welcome i recieved at Carey Paul Honda was..... suprising. I wont go there for my vehicle.

Thanks for all the help, im almost sure ive been swayed.

Warren

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Make sure you check out the Buying tips people have posted, if you haven't done so already. There is a ton of good info on this site.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Warren said:
well i just finish reading a few of the previous fuel posts, and i see a few things i could work on. Namely my lead foot:rolleyes: ! ive test driven the hybrid and well......ick. It just didnt feel like i was in a CAR. You know what i mean? And the more i look at this site....well, i guess you guys can guess what i may do sooner than i thought. I also test drove the Ridge yesterday and i was very impressed. Before August i was always 'anti-import'. "Hondas are just oversized lawnmowers" and "Hmm, look at the Matchbox car" are the things i use to say. Pretty sure i was a jackass. Fortunatly i saw the new civic commercial and was infected so i had to go see for myself exactly how poorly Honda did on the vaunted 'Motor Trend Car of the Year'. Poorly Indeed. With a turn of the key i swas shown my errors.

I do need to find a new Honda dealership. The welcome i recieved at Carey Paul Honda was..... suprising. I wont go there for my vehicle.

Thanks for all the help, im almost sure ive been swayed.

Warren
White seems to get better mileage:D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
TheRidgester said:
White seems to get better mileage:D
And so the the color war begins :D

Warren - that will be the hardest part of your decision to buy a Ridgeline. Do I go with the color that matches my eyes or the one that accessorizes the house best while in the driveway? ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I drive about 200 miles per week, and I got 18.1mpg on my first fill-up which included a 30 mile trip home from the dealer. My average trip is about 5 miles. Since I work so close to home, I'm not extremely concerned about gas mileage because it amounts to very little extra per year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mayfielh said:
And so the the color war begins :D
I, for one won't try to sway your color choice I'm sure when you're REaDy you'll choose the best color for you.

For your mileage question, I can say that I REaDily average between 18 to 20 mpg if you've REaD the other posts this is pretty close to the norm. And, I'm sure that after you've REaD everyone's comments on the RL you'll be REaDy to join the club!

But color really is a personal preference ;) :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I went from an Element to the Ridge, which I think is in the same range, mileage wise, as the Ranger. It's not as good but you can work on that. I like the ability to actually carry people AND stuff.(that was my only complaint w/ the Element I have friends who would kill for the mpg I get in my truck, but I can't pull a bulldozer on a trailor behind mine...but that's what their trucks are for:D

You pick any color you want, as long as it's Steele Blue:cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Go with the Civic..... they are really nice. Si, of course. Or is it SiR in the US.

Can't beat the power, agility, features, and fuel economy...... plus the 2006 models are really, really nice looking. I bought the Ridgeline because I couldn't wait for the new Civics to come out. Not that I'm unhappy with the RL, but the gas is killing me.

I drive a 1984 Accord that was given to me for free, so I drive that 80% of the time to save on gas. I reserve the RL for special days. There's nothing like getting off a long day at work and getting into a nice comfy vehicle like the Ridge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i live right down the street from the carey paul honda dealership in GA. im only 21 so they kinda discriminated against me due to that. my impression was that they could have cared less if i had the $$$ for the truck or not. i was treated poorly. oh well, its cool though. ill be getting my Ridge in Athens then.

and for the color war, ive already decided on white. sorry guys. as for the Civic SiR, i am still considering that one but the main thing that attracts me to the Ridgeline is safety and the room a truck gives you. Im intending for this truck to last me a while so if (a BIG if) i have kids in 100s of years or so i wont have to rip out half the backseat putting the carseat it. and the little fact of Police attention. a Civic has a big neon sign on it that says 'IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG! GET ME!'

thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

Warren

L

·
0 Posts
Budman1109 said:
I, for one won't try to sway your color choice I'm sure when you're REaDy you'll choose the best color for you.

For your mileage question, I can say that I REaDily average between 18 to 20 mpg if you've REaD the other posts this is pretty close to the norm. And, I'm sure that after you've REaD everyone's comments on the RL you'll be REaDy to join the club!

But color really is a personal preference ;) :D
Nicely done. LOL Nicely done. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Civic and the Ridgeline are such diametrically opposite vehicles, I have to ask you, do you know what you really want?

The Civic is a sedan. The Ridgeline is a truck. Do you want something for the next 3-4 years or longer? Do you own a house, or something else that requires hauling a lot of stuff around? Because if you're buying the Ridgeline mainly to haul people around, the Pilot is a much better fit.

If I was 21 again, and DAMN! I wish I was :) , it would be the Civic Si hands down.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Warren said:
hi guys,

im in the market for a new vehicle and i am fairly certain that id like either a Ridgeline or a Civic. Im leaning towards the Ridgeline but i have a few concerns that i assumed you experts (owners) could help me with. First is, of course, fuel economy. i currently own a Ford Ranger and im pretty sick of the filling up every few days. I drive 40 miles to and from work each day so im in need of a more economic vehicle. I compared the trucks and the Ranger has slightly better numbers than the Ridgline, but that doesnt really give me the input from people that actually drive the truck. Because of my traveling needs i look at the Civic (hmmm....maybe an S200 now that i think about it, hehe) but i also require versatility. I need the spacious interior that both the Civic and the Ridgline provide. But whats sends me to the Ridgeline is the ability to carry large loads and people, the enigine power, and the overall presence that the vehicle carries. Not to mention all the cool buttons and gizmos that i can play with:D .....

Essentially what im asking is for you guys to sway me in either direction. I am certain i want a Honda, just which Honda should it be. Thanks for any help....

Hi Warren, If you don't need to haul a half ton of stuff around and you want mega mileage go with the Civic. Either of which will serve you very well for a long long time. I just needed to haul raw bar stock and machine shop supplies so we went for the Ridgeline. I still love the Civic gas mileage though I can get around 19.5 with the truck while I'm on long trips and about 17-18 around town.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
shovelhd said:
The Civic and the Ridgeline are such diametrically opposite vehicles, I have to ask you, do you know what you really want?

The Civic is a sedan. The Ridgeline is a truck. Do you want something for the next 3-4 years or longer? Do you own a house, or something else that requires hauling a lot of stuff around? Because if you're buying the Ridgeline mainly to haul people around, the Pilot is a much better fit.
I think the hauling question is the most important piece of the puzzle. You don't have to have a house to have things to haul, especially when you are younger. Let's see Mountain Bikes, Motorcycles, Jetski, and ATVs to name a few. I almost forgot the Kegs for the party at your buddy's house. Plus you can't put ice in the trunk of the Civic without a huge mess.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts