Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I don't post a lot, but I try to chime in when I think I have something to say y'all could use. I have noticed more of you are getting your trucks (either off the lot or aftermarket) with stripes. I did this for 5 years while going to college. Here are some observations:

1. "Lifting" your Ridgeline without really "Lifting" your Ridgeline!
A high stripe (above the door handles) will draw attention to the upper part of the truck, giving the "illusion" of your truck being higher than what it is. If you put stripes lower, your truck will look lower than it is. If you go for a large stripe, and you put it up real high, you really get the "lifted" look. Of course this is an illusion but a good stripe is the first thing people see, or the first thing that catches their eye.

2. Painted vs. tape (wide or thin, it doesn't matter)
A painted stripe will last longer, but a tape stripe will last around 5 years as long as you take care of it. The best part about a tape stripe is you can change it fairly easy after time if you get tired of the look. A tape stripe is also way cheaper to install. A word of Caution: If you are going to get tape stripes and you are going to do it yourself, practice the cuts first!!! I used an old refrigerator (my garage beer fridge) to practice on. With practice, you should be able to cut the tape without cutting the paint underneath the stripe. Also, never "wrap" your tape around the edge of a fender or door. This will be the first place it will peel. Clean the area to be striped with rubbing alchohol to remove the wax. Good luck! If you don't want to do it yourself, most tint or custom shops will do a simple stripe for under 50.00.

3. Big vs. Small or Wild vs. Conservative
Big decisions! A big stripe will look cool for awhile, but my experience shows most people get tired of them quicker. Same with a wild stripe. I removed many big wild stripes (and expensive) a lot more than I removed a thin conservative pinstripe. A pinstripe will just "complement" a truck, a big wild stripe "overpowers" a truck.

4. What stripe do I have on my white RTL???
NONE!!! I plan on keeping my truck for a long time. I know that a stock truck will "age" more gracefully than a wild striped truck with all the accessories.
My last piece of advice (and I'm not trying to offend anyone here) is this...Add stuff to your truck very gradually if you want to keep it for a long long time. Maybe side steps the first year, stripes in a few years, etc. I know most people who do this keep their vehicles for a long time. It seems that some people who add it "All" the first day grow tired of their trucks quicker. Just my observation. Also, this does not apply to functional mods (trailer hitch, roof rack, tonnaeu cover) just the "cosmetic" mods people grow tired of quicker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No offense at your post. To each their own! Like I told my son the other night, when you are over 21, pay your own way, buy your own truck, pay for insurance, you are allowed to modify your vehicle anyway you want, as long as it is legal. Variety is the spice of life!

Our dealership put the pinstripe on our truck. It was applied, not painted. It is the stock one that has the "H" for Honda on it. If and when it degrades during our ownership, we will be able to remove easily. (been there done that) It is no worse than those dealership logos (which I detest) that are placed on cars. (pet peeve, I don't do free advertising)

Where are you in the Appy Mountains? My parents are originally from Wise County, Virginia; deep in the Appalachian Mountains. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

·
Registered
383 Posts
SmokyMtnRidger said:
It is no worse than those dealership logos (which I detest) that are placed on cars. (pet peeve, I don't do free advertising)
I told my sales guy that I would be happy to display their dealership tag on my tailgate at the low cost of $50 /month for as long as I owned the vehicle. They decided not to... :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see that my dealership only puts on license plate holders w/ their name - that was the first modification I did to my truck after I got it home. I am totally w/ you, Skywalker, that their name on my tailgate (or anywhere else) is advertising for them, and in doing so, I should be compensated.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
127 Posts
ridgeln said:
I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see that my dealership only puts on license plate holders w/ their name - that was the first modification I did to my truck after I got it home. I am totally w/ you, Skywalker, that their name on my tailgate (or anywhere else) is advertising for them, and in doing so, I should be compensated.

-ridgeln

I am the same way, My dealer had to drive to Maryland to pick up my truck and he noticed there were no "dealer" markings on the truck. He mentioned having one put on and I said what we think here, I don't advertise for free. He laughed and said I guess you don't want the license plate covers then, I said nope, a simple key chain will do nicely.

·
Registered
964 Posts
gpruchniewski said:
I am the same way, My dealer had to drive to Maryland to pick up my truck and he noticed there were no "dealer" markings on the truck. He mentioned having one put on and I said what we think here, I don't advertise for free. He laughed and said I guess you don't want the license plate covers then, I said nope, a simple key chain will do nicely.
I have a friend who walked away from a great deal on an Audi because the dealer, despite Dan's insistence that there be NO DEALER anything on the car, put a license plate holder. The dealer called him and they got the deal done, sans license plate holder.

I am in agreement! Our dealer here just gave keychains :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The advertisement was already on mine when I looked at it. I think they put them on as they come off the truck. Fortunately, it was very easy to remove.

Although, I will have to say, it actually looked good because it was chrome writing on a black background, on a black truck. I almost left it because of that, but didn't because of the advertising.

I also got a nice keychain.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
lol - time for a one-uppance. I got 2 keychains!

Ok, the story - the salesman comes out w/ one keychain. My 2 boys look at him. He realizes that he made a mistake, because he knew that they each wanted one (because Dad got the truck and a key, mom got key #2, so the boys each should get something, right?) - salesman went back and got a second keychain.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ridgeln said:
lol - time for a one-uppance. I got 2 keychains!

Ok, the story - the salesman comes out w/ one keychain. My 2 boys look at him. He realizes that he made a mistake, because he knew that they each wanted one (because Dad got the truck and a key, mom got key #2, so the boys each should get something, right?) - salesman went back and got a second keychain.

-ridgeln
Actually, I did get 2 keychains as well. One for me and one for the wife.

·
Registered
333 Posts
hiPSI said:
2. Painted vs. tape (wide or thin, it doesn't matter)
A painted stripe will last longer, but a tape stripe will last around 5 years as long as you take care of it. The best part about a tape stripe is you can change it fairly easy after time if you get tired of the look. A tape stripe is also way cheaper to install. A word of Caution: If you are going to get tape stripes and you are going to do it yourself, practice the cuts first!!! I used an old refrigerator (my garage beer fridge) to practice on. With practice, you should be able to cut the tape without cutting the paint underneath the stripe. Also, never "wrap" your tape around the edge of a fender or door. This will be the first place it will peel. Clean the area to be striped with rubbing alchohol to remove the wax. Good luck!
Thanks, good tips!
Do you have a recommendation for where/what tape to buy for a nice conservative stripe? (Black on white.)

P.S. Go WHITE!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We had not discussed getting a stripe. I feel quite neutral about them. We made the decision on the day we got three Ridgeline decals added to our truck The man who put all of it on for us is a customizer. He showed us the flashy tape that is very glittery and changes color through the rainbow spectrum. We got it installed in what is probably considered a wide stripe. We absolutely LOVE it. It makes the truck stand out. There isn't another one like ours.

It just goes to show that all these suggestions are just that. I appreciate you starting this thread. As a person who has actual experience applying stripes, your opinion is important and interesting. Thanks for taking the time to let us in on your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Truckin, Can you post some photos? We'd love to see um on your RL:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
I will allow a dealership to place an emblem on my vehicle on ONE condition: They treated me well and went out of their way to give me a great deal all around. Then, and only then will I "advertise" for free. Of course, i'll probably eventually take the emblem off, but for the time being, they have earned their advertising.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
5S Dude said:
Truckin, Can you post some photos? We'd love to see um on your RL:D
I'll see if I can get my photo program to cooperate. I'm going to start it on a new thread under Mods category. I'll call it decals and pin stripes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
farmguy said:
Thanks, good tips!
Do you have a recommendation for where/what tape to buy for a nice conservative stripe? (Black on white.)

P.S. Go WHITE!
More tips from a PM with hiPSI:

Any auto parts store....NAPA, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. I always made sure I used 3M tape. Tape made by 3M was always consistently good. When I stripe my truck, I will go with one of these choices (color) Olive (to match interior) Silver (to match wheels) or Dark Grey (to match the tinted windows and tires). I will go with a double stripe, same color, with a total width not exceeding 1/2 inch (both stripes plus space between.) If you are doing it yourself, make sure you buy enough tape to do the truck twice. (mess ups!) It should not cost more than 7.00 a roll (20 ft) I would not use black besause it is too contrasting on the white. I will go maybe one to two inches above the crease above the door handles. Good luck and let me know if you need more tips and tricks to make this a fun mod, not a frustrating one!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Lady, what don't you do? You have more talents and interests than anyone else I know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
chrome pinstripe on a Formal Black?

The front and rear of my truck is nice, but the the sides are pretty bland. I guess the Chrome Wheels kinda dresses it up on the side, but I want something on the body as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
chrome pinstripe on a Formal Black?

The front and rear of my truck is nice, but the the sides are pretty bland. I guess the Chrome Wheels kinda dresses it up on the side, but I want something on the body as well.

Thoughts?
supersnout, seems like the best pinstripe for your truck is the one you like the best. If you like the chrome on your black RL, go for it. You can always take it off later if you decide you want another color. Please post some pics when you get the stripes on!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts