Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked and can't find anything I prefer to drive with windows down around town when not too hot but the turbulence makes that almost impossible to do comfortably. Haven't been able to find anything on line and looking for suggestions on a homemade perhaps.

I'd even considered buying a Weather Tech and cutting it down. I don't like the looks of the full window vents on the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Best option is sliding rear window.
That was available on ALL Trim levels on the 1st Gen Ridgeline.
Which Honda doesn't put:act030::act030::act030: on the 2nd Gen Ridgeline unless your
buying Canadian.
HEAR ME HONDA!!:act030:

Reactions: DogOnBoard

·
Registered
181 Posts
Which Honda doesn't put:act030::act030::act030: on the 2nd Gen Ridgeline unless your
buying Canadian.
Rich,

My US RTL-E has the sliding back window. So its not just a North of the border thing.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Funny how things can be read differently. I took Rich's post to mean Honda doesn't put the rear slider on all US trims of the G2 -- only the RTL-E and BE get it, whereas all G1 trims got it. More Canadian trims get the slider, but I don't know if they all do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You'd think that some marketing person from Honda US would have as part of their job responsibility a requirement to read what's posted in Honda Forums. If one actually does (and he or she is allowed to post anything relevant about Honda motor vehicles) it would be nice to know why Honda Ridgeline's destined for the Canadian market are or can be fitted with items not offered to the US market - regardless of trim level.
My G80 Genesis, while loaded with every equipment group offered, was missing items included in the same equipment group for Canada bound G80s so Honda isn't alone. I guess things like turn indicators in the side mirrors, heated rear seats and sliding pass through rear windows (manual would be just fine) are OK in Canada but not so cool if you live in the States? Maybe all the things Honda omits from the US Ridgeline needs a disclaimer sticker from the Surgeon General before being offered in the US? That way we'd at least be notified as to how lethal such things are in a new US Ridgeline but OK in any other truck offered in the US.
It's a good thing some Honda official is keeping us safe in our US Ridgelines because those heated rear seats, side mirror turn indicators and so on can be killers.
At least I won't be speared by a dangerous volume control knob on my spiffy radio! Thanks Honda :wink:

Man my morning coffee was stronger than usual. Sorry about the rant :smile:

·
Registered
433 Posts
On a positive Canadian vs. US features note - In the US we can order free printed copies of the owner's, navigation, and warranty manuals online (within first 6 months) and Canadians can't. Maybe Honda thinks Canadians can't read or it is a safety concern that they might get a paper cut turning the pages while looking at the pictures! ??? ;-) (My brother was born in Winnipeg so not picking on Canadians - although I do still pick on my brother) :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looked and can't find anything I prefer to drive with windows down around town when not too hot but the turbulence makes that almost impossible to do comfortably. Haven't been able to find anything on line and looking for suggestions on a homemade perhaps.

I'd even considered buying a Weather Tech and cutting it down. I don't like the looks of the full window vents on the Ridgeline.
There is the famous Porsche 991 wind diffuser solution - Need something similar (and cheaper) for the RL. Maybe experiment with some easily bendable plastic on the RL in different window positions?? Who knows, this may be the "sweet spot" on the RL as well.

Porsche 991 Wind Diffuser $90.00

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is the famous Porsche 991 wind diffuser solution - Need something similar (and cheaper) for the RL. Maybe experiment with some easily bendable plastic on the RL in different window positions?? Who knows, this may be the "sweet spot" on the RL as well.

Porsche 991 Wind Diffuser $90.00
That's what got me thinking, that and the Chevy Volt came out with an upgrade because it was so bad.

I have played around putting my hand out between the front window and mirror and seems to make a difference. Was thinking about getting some thin gauge easily bendable metal and cut and bend to fit in the front bottom corner of the front window think enough to slide in behind the seal and then maybe add some gorilla tape double sided to experiment.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
^^^Gotta love a DIYer! Looking at the Porsche diverter got me wondering if a person could find the right size rectangular black plastic bottle, say a 5-qt oil bottle or maybe just a 1-qt oil bottle, and then cut out a triangular piece with the long side including just enough of the curvature from the side or bottom of the bottle to form the "hook" of the diffuser. Yes, it will look chintzy compared to the Porsche accessory, but it might be small enough to overlook for the sake of function.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
We Had this Discussion Previously in the "What do you HATE about your RL?"

Finely tuned Helmholtz Resonators :) Porsche owners know it all too well when they try to race. And so do Chevy Volt owners (but I'm guessing it's probably not from racing). There are some add-on deflectors that go between the pillar and mirror specifically for some cars.

http://bit.ly/2nWFSil
http://bit.ly/2o1ANGm
http://bit.ly/2nWVoea

They just need to bring back the pillar "wing" vent on the old cars. In the meantime, here's a DIY hack
Md. driver devises a $5 solution for 'wind throb'
They had that guy on Motorweek, the Car show out of Owens Mills, MD, he did a little interview and demonstrated it on his 911. It was actually pretty clever.

:nerd:
I guess the words you're looking for are "WIND THROB"

& The word I meant to convey is "VENTILATION"

Thanks to Nervey's post:

>:):grin::nerd:

:surprise:

0:)

I believe the Guy on MotorWeek, Fashioned his out of an Orange Juice Bottle, ultimately painted it black, Unsure what episode it was on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
buying Canadian.
I have one on my BLACK EDITION! US model.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The US E and B editions of the new Ridgeline get the power slider rear glass probably to help raise the equipment levels of those two expensive trims and add a bit more exclusivity.
Including the slider in the E and B trims and not making it a stand alone option could be to show perspective buyers that buying either of those two very loaded trim packages is the best way to go which of course nets Honda a considerable boost in total vehicle profit. Building and selling vehicles is a business and not a service and packages make money - stand alone options not so much.
I wonder what the E or B trim level rear window can be bought for in either the after market (glass replacement dealer or a salvage yard) or from Honda's very profitable cost plus list parts departments?
As all Ridgelines have standard rear defrosters the wiring should not be an issue as all the wiring (even for the motor to slide the window open or closed) is [likely] already back there. It's also possible that there already is a pigtail up front for the control switch.
Anyone want to do a 'Price is Right' guess to see who gets closest to what that window can be bought for from Honda??

I'll start - $1,100.00 in the box :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
260 Posts
$1700 is my guess, assuming it's a completely assembled pop-in unit....can this be done?

UPDATE:
I just looked at the parts breakdown on Bernardi Honda, not as expensive as one would think:
$555.40 rear glass windshield
$109.35 sliding glass
$81.26 motor/cable
$54.18 Sliding glass defroster

Genuine Honda OEM Automotive Parts Catalog - Bernardi Parts

Perhaps upper/lower garish if needed? are $113.24ea, maybe another $35 in bits....should be no more than $1k in parts, then installation unless your intrepid enough to attempt this yourself.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I didn't do a "Search" to confirm my vague memory, but I thought someone already looked into this and found issues -- like the lower trims not being pre-wired for the rear slider?

IMHO, Honda needs to bring the rear slider down to the RTL and RTL-T trims...at least throw in a manual slider like the competition does. There are still plenty of goodies to attract buyers to the RTL-E and BE: high-end audio, improved acoustic isolation, inbed audio, bed power inverter, memory seats, heated steering wheel, moonroof, etc.

·
Registered
935 Posts
This slight by Honda irks me.
I call them once a week to tell them to add
the srw to all Ridgeline packages.
The Canadians get that and all RL's are built in Lincoln,Right?
Plus we get more warm weather.
Between that and the console maybe I'll just keep my '14 RL.
Just I cant get over the handling and some other improvements
in the G2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts