Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These belong to a retired insurance agent who maintains a small garage and office close by home, in Vista California. While visiting Jake the metal wizard's shop, his neighbor pulled in the complex driving a cherry 70's era Buick Estate wagon, pulling a trailer with one of his drag rails in tow. Fascinated by the display of automotive art, he invited us to step over to his garage for a quick walk thru. Amazing stuff.

2012-06-30_13-24-54_554.jpg

2012-06-30_13-24-38_490.jpg

2012-06-30_13-25-45_120.jpg

2012-06-30_13-25-35_960.jpg

2012-06-30_13-25-16_44.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last pic looks like a Europa, but I've never seen a convertible version.
It's a 70 something Intermeccanica Italia. Pretty sweet ride. Don't have a photo of that particular vehicle in finished condition, but it *should* end up looking something like this:

Italia.jpg

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It's a 70 something Intermeccanica Italia. Pretty sweet ride. Don't have a photo of that particular vehicle in finished condition, but it *should* end up looking something like this:

View attachment 189466
WOW! Nice looking buggy. Why have I never heard of that car?? Looks like what you'd get if you cobbled together your own hybrid Lotus Europa / Elan!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm interested in the 70's era Buick Station Wagon. My dad had a '72 estate wagon. Great memories. Had the slide up back window and slide down tailgate and a huge motor.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Had the opportunity to visit a locally owned mold and engineering firm this morning. Great little shop with enough resources to take an idea from concept to design and finished production.

The owner has eclectic taste in wheeled transport with these cycles in the entry lobby.

I'm thinking running out of fuel with this Whizzer Pacemaker wouldn't be any fun at all. Unless your legs are up to the task.

20150618_095132.jpg

Can't say I've ever seen a Salsbury before. They sure do have the art deco thing going on. Beauteous!

20150618_095155_1.jpg 20150618_095139.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Some of the projects Jake the Metal Wizard is working on.

@ Jakes Saturday. He's made progress on his BMW scooter. He's a metal guy. And a mechanic. And a total nut about everything he does. But that doesn't mean he's a good painter. LOL. Good thing paint an easy do-over.

20150620_091344.jpg

Nice 56 Chev sitting out front.

20150620_094801_1.jpg

A stretched 66 Bug? With a chopped top? And a split rear window? And new 19 inch jalopy style tires? On custom rims? And a roll cage? All it needs now is a tilt out windshield. As they say... whatever floats your boat.

20150620_091833.jpg

How about a nice retro bucket thing with a fuel cell notched to let the driver slide back? There was no frame in sight so I dunno what he's doing with this hand made art.

20150620_091852.jpg

And for down time, there's a gigantic mountain bike with suspension travel equal to motorized dirt bikes. The rear shock has an oil reservoir - you know, because a pedal bike used for off roading is needs that kind of thing.

20150620_093501.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopped by the local mold and engineering shop mentioned in post 11 this morning. Today, a 1907 Buick was up on stands. Vehicle restoration is not what this company does, but.. hobbies cross all kinds of boundaries.

Never had the opportunity to get up close to a project like this so couldn't resist getting a few images of the work in progress.

1907 Buick horseless carriage
Buick0.jpg

Buick1.jpg

Buick2.jpg

Power to weight ratio wasn’t a design criteria at the time!
Buick3.jpg

Buick4.jpg

Original door hinges weigh approximately 12lbs each.

Buick5.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part of this most recent service includes replacing the drive chain.

Buick6.jpg

This is the crank case recently stuffed with new rods and counter balanced crank shaft. Very high tech!

Buick7.jpg
Buick8.jpg

New pistons fresh from the lathe...

Buick9.jpg

Yep, these are cylinders & heads, in one assembly. This motor idles at 55 RPM. 4.5” Bore X 5” stroke. A real torque monster!

Buick10.jpg

These are externally mounted valve assemblies

Buick11.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carburetor

Buick12.jpg

The fly wheel weighs 85lbs! Talk about a downhill flyer. Something tells me the brakes in this era had to work pretty hard to slow this machine down.

Buick13.jpg

This is a transmission. Don’t ask me. Has something to do with bands and stuff.

Buick14.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This morning, I was back at the engineering shop where the 1908 Buick was being rebuilt. It's done and home in the owners garage.

The shop manager wasn't around so didn't get the story of the things below, but they sure are cool to look at:

HarleyPump.jpg

FireCheif.jpg

Indian.jpg

Bike.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stopped by the engineering shop again yesterday AM, this time, the Buick was sitting outside giving a little different perspective on its dimensions. This thing very tall and skinny.

Standing behind her, it was a stretch to touch the top bar of the canvas roof frame. The photos don't do justice to the awesomeness of the brass fixture all over this ride.

Greg fired her up while I was oogling this wonder. She "chugs-chugga-chugs" at idle - very much like a locomotive steam engine. Guess that's what happens with a large bore, horizontally opposed 2 cylinder motor.

Check out the radiator ribs. Odd. I'm imagining these things were more or less hand made.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sitting in the cramped lobby was a 1901 Oldsmobile. Couldn't get far enough away from it to capture the whole rig in one shot. This thing is nearly perfect in every way. Greg wasn't around to answer questions so I dunno much about it other than its cool.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts