Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
vertrkr said:
A.R.E now lists their cap/shell on their site with info:

http://www.4are.com/product/view_models.php?mk=h&md=r
That was fast...... When I heard last week that Leer had one on their web site, I (being an A.R.E. fan) wrote and suggested they get with it. Now, here it is! My e-mail to them was probably a coincidence..... Anyway, glad they have it up. :)

A.R.E. does a quality job. I'm not sure I'm sold on how it looks. Plus, I kinda like the idea of a hard tonneau cover (like Basickoncepts). Plus the cost for a hard tonneau is a fraction of what I'm guessing A.R.E. will want for their cap/shell.

Bottom line.... I'm still pondering the choices...nice to have them!:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
BassBud, once they fully release the cap for sale, I'd be happy to sell you my Access Cover. It was about HALF the cost of the retrax unit, and that was with a professional install.

Obviously, I can't remove the access cover until I get the cap, so it might be after Christmas.

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I guess we will have to wait a bit longer before they list the options available with this model on their website. Their options matrix is not filled out for the Ridgeline series but in a short while we will at least have 2 caps to compare against each other. Should be just in time for my yearly trip down south to escape the New York winter.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A.R.E now lists cap/shell

"..unique clamping system prevents the need for drilling..".

Does this mean it is easy to remove? Does Leer also use clamps for easy removal? Just in case I need to move a refrigerator.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: A.R.E now lists cap/shell

Blue said:
"..unique clamping system prevents the need for drilling..".

Does this mean it is easy to remove? Does Leer also use clamps for easy removal? Just in case I need to move a refrigerator.
My previous A.R.E. (Ford Ranger) was clamped on; however, it was way too bulky to remove (they installed it by lifting with a forklift). Not sure how this will compare with the Ridge A.R.E, but I would not count on taking it off..... FYI.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Clamps I am sure of - but no way you're getting that thing off by yourself unless you build a deck mimicing your truck bed and can walk off your tailgate onto it with the ~300# cap on your back...and let me tell you that is a clumsy ass thing to have in your yard too (the 'cap deck') :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am considering this topper too. but these sidewindows are hard to get used too. Last night I sent a request to ARE if they would offer them without the sidewindows, no answer yet.

No snow to speak of yet!! Record highs the last 3 out of 4 days.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
5S Dude said:
Hi vertrkr, Have you made your choice in camper shells between the two? I have not been able to locate any alternatives to the A.R.E. and LEER products.
Yes I have after careful consideration seeing pics of both inside and out and my choice goes to Leer. I don't think we'll be able to see the real thing in person for quite some time until we happen to catch an owner with one so pics and features are all we'll get for the time being. Never owning either brand I've spent some time talking with owners of each in parking lots and inspecting their shells on other trucks. Both seem to be quality products and haven't found an owner yet who had a problem with either brand. I've read few owners on this board were critical of Leer but it's unknown how long ago they had a Leer. Hard to judge reports like that until there's a big enough sample size so I can't factor those reports into my decision.

Unltimately I decided it's more important to me what it looks like on the outside. I don't like the look of the ARE shell and their windows are substantially smaller which is going to further increase blind spots and reduce visabilty to the rear so my vote goes to Leer for it's better looks and visability. I plan to buy a Leer soon as it's available so I'll have detailed pics I'm hoping by January sometime.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
vertrkr said:
Yes I have after careful consideration seeing pics of both inside and out and my choice goes to Leer. I don't think we'll be able to see the real thing in person for quite some time until we happen to catch an owner with one so pics and features are all we'll get for the time being. Never owning either brand I've spent some time talking with owners of each in parking lots and inspecting their shells on other trucks. Both seem to be quality products and haven't found an owner yet who had a problem with either brand. I've read few owners on this board were critical of Leer but it's unknown how long ago they had a Leer. Hard to judge reports like that until there's a big enough sample size so I can't factor those reports into my decision.

Unltimately I decided it's more important to me what it looks like on the outside. I don't like the look of the ARE shell and their windows are substantially smaller which is going to further increase blind spots and reduce visabilty to the rear so my vote goes to Leer for it's better looks and visability. I plan to buy a Leer soon as it's available so I'll have detailed pics I'm hoping by January sometime.
Yes! We both agree. The Leer has the outside style down pat! but the A.R.E. looked so good on the inside I had to shoot photos of them both. Great to have a choice. Cindy suggested we mount the backup camera near the top of the shell to get a better rear view as well.:p

·
Registered
186 Posts
What I'd really like is a hard tonneau cap (water-tight of course;) )..... something like the pics below from SEMA. Does anyone know who makes these?

I've got an inquiry into A.R.E.'s marketing area to see if they will produce something like this. Once design concern is it looks like it could block the lower portion of the rear window.

Anyway, I'm suspecting these may be one-off's.... but if anyone knows the manufacturer..... I'm interested!

Thanks!:D
CAP 1.jpg

CAP 2.jpg

CAP 3.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts
Man, I love looking at those pictures!

·
Registered
186 Posts
fins2theright said:
Man, I love looking at those pictures!
Those pictures do grow on me the more I look at them. It looks like the running boards have the exhaust ports built in! And, look at the lights in the bed along the sides.....Cool!.....:cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Has anyone seen any Prices on either of the caps?

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jerseyshoreguy said:
Has anyone seen any Prices on either of the caps?
thanks,
Chris
I think someone said $1350 for the ARE, the Leer will probably be a little more.

ARE is shipping now so you can probably call a dealer and get a price. I tried yesterday for the Leer but my cap dealer called their product manager who said end of December they should start taking orders and have info.

·
Registered
163 Posts
$1350 is pretty good I bought a hard top for my amigo back around '93 and it was $1000 installed at the dealer (even though it was an aftermarket top). My top wasn't that heavy, bulky yes but not that heavy and I move it (moved it) myself. I would rest it on top of a refrigerator when I would take it off for the summer. From what I am reading the Leer and A.R.E are very heavy and would require at least 2 people. My top had 4 clamps that held it on and took 5 minutes to take off which was nice.

I will need a top before easter since we are driving down to Florida and with the baby and my wife I will need alot of room for their stuff... I have an A.R.E. dealer near by and may ask if I could see one if anyone else orders it.

thanks for the information,
Chris

·
Registered
361 Posts
Vertrkr:

I have been pondering as you are about the shell before the rain and ski trips. Your point earlier about visibility reminded me that I really should just get a Retrax cover. My sons will take the truck and safty is a utmost issue for me.

Plus I already have a minivan and a SUV so carrying stuff is not an issue. Keeping the bed open allows me to carry large items and messy stuff. That is realy what a truck should be used for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts