Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was doing the LED fog light bulb upgrade today. Looked back towards the front of the engine and notice a bracket hanging off of the block by a 14mm bolt that's barely threaded in the block just to center of the alternator. It appears the other end of the bracket goes to the the header just above the exhaust pipe and that bolt is totally MIA. I tightened the bracket and have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow.

The bracket directly above my finger and the head of the bolt is the one by the header. You can how far the bolt is from being seated.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Wow. I wonder what the purpose of that bracket is? And I also wonder if it shouldn't have a rubber bushing between it and the header?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
It almost looks like some kind of tab used for lifting the engine. It does not look as if it has much purpose other than that.

Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
It almost looks like some kind of tab used for lifting the engine. It does not look as if it has much purpose other than that.
I hate to say it, but it looks like shoddy assembly. And more and more we seem to be hearing about that, it seems more so with the G2. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's up with that? Could this be a harbinger of things to come?

·
Registered
229 Posts
It must've been assembled on a Friday or a Monday

Reactions: edublives

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my first thought but there appears to be a mounting hole on the manifold above the exhaust pipe. My wife's Pilot doesn't seem to gave anything similar. I was thinking maybe because of off road stress on that point.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
The bracket seems to mate up with this bracket
So, are you saying the bolt is completely missing in the hole where your finger is pointing? Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Makes wonder about how well my sway bars are connected, the clunky sounds are getting more prominent when I turn, and not full turns either.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So, are you saying the bolt is completely missing in the hole where your finger is pointing? Am I correct?
Yes. And the one holding the other end was only turned in enough to engage the threads.

Look at the distance between the bolt and the seating surface at the top of the bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hate to say it, but it looks like shoddy assembly. And more and more we seem to be hearing about that, it seems more so with the G2. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's up with that? Could this be a harbinger of things to come?
Makes wonder about how well my sway bars are connected, the clunky sounds are getting more prominent when I turn, and not full turns either.
When you see something like this it makes you wonder what else could be wrong.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

OK, Statistical sample size = 1. It's one person with a loose bracket. I don't call that significant evidence of a gloom&doom scenario. Let's wait and see what his dealer says.

Paul

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

OK, Statistical sample size = 1. It's one person with a loose bracket. I don't call that significant evidence of a gloom&doom scenario. Let's wait and see what his dealer says.

Paul
Are your feelings hurt because I don't see the sky is falling or gloom and doom.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Looks like they left it on! Thats kind of cool, built in engine lift point, if you ever want to yank the motor...:grin:

edit...from that picture, there is no way I could see that bracket lining up with and attaching to the other piece. unless you heat it up and rebend it...just sayin'

it looks like a lift point for the engine installation.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like they left it on! Thats kind of cool, built in engine lift point, if you ever want to yank the motor...:grin:

edit...from that picture, there is no way I could see that bracket lining up with and attaching to the other piece. unless you heat it up and rebend it...just sayin'

it looks like a lift point for the engine installation.

Just got the call from the service advisor. It is indeed a bracket to the manifold and the bolt at that point was missing completely. They have installed and buttoned up.

He had no idea why.

Couldn't hurt to check yours. I don't think you would probably ever noticed but it looks like it's there to reinforce/brace the manifold/header pipe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That nut and washer look awful CLEAN AND SHINY like a zinc plated bolt from Home Depot that was put on after the truck was built!!! Looks a little squirrely to me!!! It just don't look factory....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
At first, the pics didn't make sense to me but the view is from below the truck. I never had an issue related to assembly that I know of with a Honda or Acura that was shipped from Japan. Fortunately, it was an easy fix. What would be nice to know is to find out what other parts of the truck that worker was responsible and check them out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts