Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in August the A/T Temp light came on and within 2 minutes the transmission started slipping. I put some fluid in it and it was fine. Fast forward to October and started doing the same thing. Took it to transmission shop and wasn't getting any error messages or overheating there but he did a full change of fluid. He said there were more shavings on the bolt than normal and it was starting to go but it has been fine until now. Few days ago same thing happened....turned my car off for a few hours and has been fine ever since.

I have noticed everytime this has happened it has either been hot out 80 degrees plus or I have been driving for over 2 hours. Could those be related or is it just a coincidence?

Should I change fluid again? IDK what to do

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
In my opinion if your transmission is slipping, it might be time for a new one. Not a whole lot of people report that here.

Is your transmission fluid dirty? Does it smell burnt? If yes, I'd do a few drain and fills and hope for the best.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
In my opinion if your transmission is slipping, it might be time for a new one. Not a whole lot of people report that here.

Is your transmission fluid dirty? Does it smell burnt? If yes, I'd do a few drain and fills and hope for the best.
^^^^^^^^^^
+1 on that course of action, regardless of smell.... but it might now just be a matter of time. :(

You 'could' get it to the dealer to do "transmission specific" diagnostic tests???? Who knows, you might find out something new?..... But mostly, I'd go with the above advise.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You 'could' get it to the dealer to do "transmission specific" diagnostic tests????
Yeah thats true, or a transmission place. They should also have the correct OEM gear to engage and disengage clutch packs, possibly to see what one is failing.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Change the fluid of course. Check the cooler fins and make sure there is nothing restricting air flow, dirt, leaves, bugs, bent fins, ect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts