Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you go to the Build section for a Ford Bronco, you will find: 2 body styles; 2 engines; 2 rooftop options; 11 colors; 2 transmission options; 4,000 options/accessories... AND the Sasquatch package... That is tailoring your product to the customer at it's finest.

Yet when you go to the Build section for a Ridgeline, there is almost zero customization. And Honda doesn't seem to give a crap...

One the one hand I do kinda appreciate the simplicity of only 3 options. And I appreciate that all 3 options have the same "hearts", in that the engine, transmission, the important bits - are the same on all trim levels.

On the other hand, there is almost no customization otherwise. Here's my situation. I want an RTL. It has just what I need, and nothing more. When I Build my RTL it comes in at $42,600.. Wheras an RTL-E comes in at $45,600. And a Black Edition comes in at $46,700.

I don't need the extra stuff on and RTL-E or a Black Edition.

Here's what I want:

RTL
Sonic Grey paint (So far all the information points to this color ONLY being offered on RTL-E and Black Edition... Why the hell?!?!...)
HPD Grill (This IS an option you can add)
HPD Fender flares (This IS an option you can add)
Black grill "moustache" (the long horizontal trim piece that runs between the headlights - thing is, it's black on the Sport and Black Edition - why can't I get it on RTL?)
Black door handles (Again, available on all black models, why can't I get it on Sonic Grey? It would be so easy to just pick the handles out of the black handle bin...)
Black door/window trim (Again, available on the Sport and Black Edition trims. It would be so easy to just pick the handles out of the black door/window trim bin...)
Black side mirrors (Again... I think you know what comes next... They are available on all black Ridgelines.. why can't we just pick...)
Black rims (The grey rims that come on the RTL are the exact same rims that come on the Black Edition, except for paint color. Why can't I get black rims on RTL???)
Solid glass rear window (Standard on the Sport trim. I don't want the power rear window. Why can't Honda just pull a full glass rear window out of the full glass r.w. bin?)

So really I'm just asking for a 'blacked out' RTL.

Two points.

First. This is a ridiculously small amount of "customization", especially when compared to the massive options of all other mid-size pickup trucks. And really, it's just using readily available stock parts - why is this an issue???

Second. There really should be no upcharge for "picking from existing stock parts". Black side mirrors don't cost a penny more than white side mirrors. Black rims don't cost a penny more than grey rims. Etc. etc.

I think Honda should do the following:

1) When a customer orders a Ridgeline, and puts money down, let them swap out any stock item for any other stock item (bolt on items, not items that requires special construction or assembly or wiring).

2) Ditch the HPD package. Instead, just offer the bits a la cart. I mean they kinda already do. You can get the HPD wheels, grill, and fender flares as separate add-ons.

3) Don't "double charge" people for swapping parts. If the stock grey wheels cost $1,500. And you swap them out for black wheels that cost $1,500 - there should be no additional charge. Another example would be the HPD grill. It's listed as a $300 add. Does it really cost $300 more to make the grill? Where is the dedcut for deleting the stock grille? Or at most, a small administrative charge for the paperwork.

4) I would introduce a "chrome package" and a "black package" across ALL trim levels. No reason the millions of people who want their Ridgeline should be forced to buy the top trim just to get 4 bits colored black. Nor is their any reason someone getting the Sport trim shouldn't be able to get a little chrome.

Make this happen Honda...

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
899 Posts
I see your points. I don't like fake chrome myself. BUT if you add custom features like the Bronco (which is a little more expensive) you would have Ridgelines over $50K! All Ridgelines are the same as far as engine, body, and drivetrain. the only difference is the trim and seats, plus minor add-ons like a sunroof. For the extra $10,000 more than a sport, you really don't get a lot more, other than seats and a sunroof, plus some better audio (more or less). Can you go right now to a Ford dealer and get a Bronco, as I haven't even looked at one on the street. Ford seems to want to sell things they don't have and can't produce right now.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
87 Posts
The OP is asking for something the maker doesn’t do. Dream all you want. I agree with it too. But it ain’t happening. Especially now, with this manufacturer and in this crazy market - find and buy what you want. Dreaming doesn’t help…otherwise instead of hustling to prep a turkey, I’d have a far better infotainment system, be even more hunky which is perhaps impossible :) and be spooning with Scarlett Johansson right now.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
584 Posts
Up until the late 1980's, early 90's, you could special order your vehicle by checking boxes next to whichever specific options you wanted. For example, if you wanted power windows only, they weren't part of a package that included power locks, cruise control and tilt wheel. Everything was A la cart. To cut manufacturing costs and to be competitive, popular options became a package. No more individualism.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Visit a Honda plant - there are no bins of options. They build 12 identical Ridgelines model and color combos - with robots bringing the parts to the correct assembly location each time they start a Ridgeline build. The Alabama plant produces around 800 vehicles each day. The parts are delivered in a pallet with serial numbers attached to each build.

They deliver just enough parts to make the 800 vehicles each day.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,580 Posts
Would you pay an extra $10k for the Ridgeline to get it the way you want? Options from the factory don't come cheap, because it takes extra labor (biggest expense) and time for custom building, time that would otherwise be spent building more vehicles.

How does Ford do it? First, they have a lot of profit built into their models, especially the Bronco. Body-on-frame is a cheap way to build trucks, plus they sell a million of 'em each year. Honda sells maybe 40,000 pickup trucks... the only reason they are as cheap as they are is because costs are shared with the Pilot and Passport.

Also, with all of the different trim levels on an F150 or Ram 1500 or Chevy 1500, you really don't know what your payload capacity will be on the truck until you get it. With Honda, there are no surprises. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,757 Posts
I have an R1T Rivian on order and it is pretty much the same as Honda in the way you order. It is a brand new manufacturing and assembly plant in Normal, IL and it's very much robotic assembly. It's kind of the way "things" work now days.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Ridgeline with HPV Package in Pearl White
2,081 Posts
So when you go to the Build section for a Ford Bronco, you will find: 2 body styles; 2 engines; 2 rooftop options; 11 colors; 2 transmission options; 4,000 options/accessories... AND the Sasquatch package... That is tailoring your product to the customer at it's finest.

Yet when you go to the Build section for a Ridgeline, there is almost zero customization. And Honda doesn't seem to give a crap...

One the one hand I do kinda appreciate the simplicity of only 3 options. And I appreciate that all 3 options have the same "hearts", in that the engine, transmission, the important bits - are the same on all trim levels.

On the other hand, there is almost no customization otherwise. Here's my situation. I want an RTL. It has just what I need, and nothing more. When I Build my RTL it comes in at $42,600.. Wheras an RTL-E comes in at $45,600. And a Black Edition comes in at $46,700.

I don't need the extra stuff on and RTL-E or a Black Edition.

Here's what I want:

RTL
Sonic Grey paint (So far all the information points to this color ONLY being offered on RTL-E and Black Edition... Why the hell?!?!...)
HPD Grill (This IS an option you can add)
HPD Fender flares (This IS an option you can add)
Black grill "moustache" (the long horizontal trim piece that runs between the headlights - thing is, it's black on the Sport and Black Edition - why can't I get it on RTL?)
Black door handles (Again, available on all black models, why can't I get it on Sonic Grey? It would be so easy to just pick the handles out of the black handle bin...)
Black door/window trim (Again, available on the Sport and Black Edition trims. It would be so easy to just pick the handles out of the black door/window trim bin...)
Black side mirrors (Again... I think you know what comes next... They are available on all black Ridgelines.. why can't we just pick...)
Black rims (The grey rims that come on the RTL are the exact same rims that come on the Black Edition, except for paint color. Why can't I get black rims on RTL???)
Solid glass rear window (Standard on the Sport trim. I don't want the power rear window. Why can't Honda just pull a full glass rear window out of the full glass r.w. bin?)

So really I'm just asking for a 'blacked out' RTL.

Two points.

First. This is a ridiculously small amount of "customization", especially when compared to the massive options of all other mid-size pickup trucks. And really, it's just using readily available stock parts - why is this an issue???

Second. There really should be no upcharge for "picking from existing stock parts". Black side mirrors don't cost a penny more than white side mirrors. Black rims don't cost a penny more than grey rims. Etc. etc.

I think Honda should do the following:

1) When a customer orders a Ridgeline, and puts money down, let them swap out any stock item for any other stock item (bolt on items, not items that requires special construction or assembly or wiring).

2) Ditch the HPD package. Instead, just offer the bits a la cart. I mean they kinda already do. You can get the HPD wheels, grill, and fender flares as separate add-ons.

3) Don't "double charge" people for swapping parts. If the stock grey wheels cost $1,500. And you swap them out for black wheels that cost $1,500 - there should be no additional charge. Another example would be the HPD grill. It's listed as a $300 add. Does it really cost $300 more to make the grill? Where is the dedcut for deleting the stock grille? Or at most, a small administrative charge for the paperwork.

4) I would introduce a "chrome package" and a "black package" across ALL trim levels. No reason the millions of people who want their Ridgeline should be forced to buy the top trim just to get 4 bits colored black. Nor is their any reason someone getting the Sport trim shouldn't be able to get a little chrome.

Make this happen Honda...
Honda is already doing the right things for their potential buyers. Totally different demographic than the Bronco.
This seems like you are shopping for the wrong vehicle. Jeep or Bronco is in your future as they are the most configurable.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
226 Posts
To the OP. You have your priorities all wrong. #1 first thing you need to do is determine what is the best vehicle for you. Have you driven all of the vehicles you’re considering to own? How do they drive? Do they do everything I need them to do to support my family and lifestyle? How well are they built? Reliability? Maintenance costs? Mileage? On and on it goes.

You need to determine the best value for dollar and lock yourself into the best fit for your needs. Then and only then do you sweat (worry) about the small stuff. Would I prefer a few more different options on the RL? Yes. But if I can’t configure an all black truck w/o spending a few thousand more am I going to abandon the RL? Hell no! Because I know having the most comfortable ride in any truck is more important than having the Sasquatch package.

Personally, I don’t think you’ll be happy until you’re driving an Orange Bronco.

Gusto!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Me - I stopped buying Honda's when they stopped putting Michelin Tires on them.
If they go cheap on tires - what else are they scrimping on.
From 1999 to 2015 every Honda I bought had Michelin Tires on them from the factory.
I don't want Hankook, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop or any other tire that I have seen when shopping for a new Honda. I guess my 2015 is the last new Honda.
One of the Ford Mavericks I saw had Michelin Tires. One had Continentals - both were sold but I could look at them on the lot with the doors closed.
I wonder how far a CR-V based pickup to compete with the Maverick is in Honda's R&D design, you know they have to be thinking about it.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
899 Posts
Me - I stopped buying Honda's when they stopped putting Michelin Tires on them.
If they go cheap on tires - what else are they scrimping on.
From 1999 to 2015 every Honda I bought had Michelin Tires on them from the factory.
I don't want Hankook, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop or any other tire that I have seen when shopping for a new Honda. I guess my 2015 is the last new Honda.
One of the Ford Mavericks I saw had Michelin Tires. One had Continentals - both were sold but I could look at them on the lot with the doors closed.
I wonder how far a CR-V based pickup to compete with the Maverick is in Honda's R&D design, you know they have to be thinking about it.
To each his own about tires. I had a Ram with Michelin tires, and they wore out really quick, LTX models, hopefully they are better now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe you should just get the Bronco.
It's not that I want the Bronco (it's not a truck), it's that the hugely popular Bronco is a great example of another car company giving the customers what they want...

I see your points. I don't like fake chrome myself. BUT if you add custom features like the Bronco (which is a little more expensive) you would have Ridgelines over $50K! All Ridgelines are the same as far as engine, body, and drivetrain. the only difference is the trim and seats, plus minor add-ons like a sunroof. For the extra $10,000 more than a sport, you really don't get a lot more, other than seats and a sunroof, plus some better audio (more or less). Can you go right now to a Ford dealer and get a Bronco, as I haven't even looked at one on the street. Ford seems to want to sell things they don't have and can't produce right now.
Yeah, it's not so much the price comparrison. It's that Honda WILL allow me to buy/add the HPD grill - and a few other items. But it's chickenskratch compared to how much customization other brands provide for. Again, I'm just wanting to get a few stock items in black. I can't see how that's impossible to do.

The OP is asking for something the maker doesn’t do. Dream all you want. I agree with it too. But it ain’t happening. Especially now, with this manufacturer and in this crazy market - find and buy what you want. Dreaming doesn’t help…otherwise instead of hustling to prep a turkey, I’d have a far better infotainment system, be even more hunky which is perhaps impossible :) and be spooning with Scarlett Johansson right now.
This is the Ridgeline forum section that Honda is supposed to actually read. Customer feedback is a good thing. For example, my suggestion of having a 'black package' and a 'chrome package' would be a super simple thing for Honda to do (they already have a half dozen other packages). I think it would sell more trucks. Which I think is what Honda wants to do...

You would have been really frustrated when the Ridgeline had 7 trim levels. I think Honda did it right by offering fewer trim levels but unfortunately there won't be something for everyone. Just the way it is.
It's never 'just the way it is'. Companies listen to customer feedback (sometimes). Look at the lesson Honda finally learned with just how important 'looks' are. Ridgeline sales are through the roof now that it's a good looking truck. Can you imagine the tens-of-thousands of trucks Honda didn't sell because the first gen was so butt ugly? Adding a chrome and a black package will sell more trucks.

Visit a Honda plant - there are no bins of options. They build 12 identical Ridgelines model and color combos - with robots bringing the parts to the correct assembly location each time they start a Ridgeline build. The Alabama plant produces around 800 vehicles each day. The parts are delivered in a pallet with serial numbers attached to each build.

They deliver just enough parts to make the 800 vehicles each day.
But Honda already lets us do a tiny bit of customization. There are 5 "manufacturing packages" and 8 "accessory packages". Plus 49 individual 'accessories'. Which your Honda dealer can call out for an ordered truck. Adding a 'black package' and a 'chrome package' is a no brainer...

To the OP. You have your priorities all wrong. #1 first thing you need to do is determine what is the best vehicle for you. Have you driven all of the vehicles you’re considering to own? How do they drive? Do they do everything I need them to do to support my family and lifestyle? How well are they built? Reliability? Maintenance costs? Mileage? On and on it goes.

You need to determine the best value for dollar and lock yourself into the best fit for your needs. Then and only then do you sweat (worry) about the small stuff. Would I prefer a few more different options on the RL? Yes. But if I can’t configure an all black truck w/o spending a few thousand more am I going to abandon the RL? Hell no! Because I know having the most comfortable ride in any truck is more important than having the Sasquatch package.

Personally, I don’t think you’ll be happy until you’re driving an Orange Bronco.

Gusto!
Um, why do you think I'm on this forum. Test drove the Tacoma, Frontier, Maverick, Santa Cruz. The Ridgeline is the right truck for me. And the best value is an RTL trim. And if Honda will let me indiviudally put an HPD grill on an RTL (or add the whole HPD package), I don't see why they can't let me swap a few other stock parts out...

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
87 Posts
This is the Ridgeline forum section that Honda is supposed to actually read. Customer feedback is a good thing. For example, my suggestion of having a 'black package' and a 'chrome package' would be a super simple thing for Honda to do (they already have a half dozen other packages). I think it would sell more trucks. Which I think is what Honda wants to do...
Alrighty. If you say so. But, honda isn’t “supposed to read” this forum. And you aren’t getting the custom Honda truck you want any time soon no matter how many forums we post in. Luckily, consumers get to make decisions based on what the market brings them.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts