Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a FWD RTL-T down to $34,100, about $37,400 out the door after taxes, license etc. Before we began paperwork I wanted to drive the actual truck I was buying. So the salesman started looking for the key, couldn't find it, had to ask other employees about it, and then found out the truck was in the body shop. According to the manager, he saw an employee moving the truck and lightly hit a water pipe which caused a small indentation in the plastic part of the front bumper. I told them to give me a call when it is fixed. I am probably being a baby, but I feel like it is no longer brand spankin new after being in the body shop, no matter how minor. What would be an acceptable amount of compensation for this if I were still to buy? I do not think they will move on price but maybe they will throw in some accessories. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
So I got a FWD RTL-T down to $34,100, about $37,400 out the door after taxes, license etc. Before we began paperwork I wanted to drive the actual truck I was buying. So the salesman started looking for the key, couldn't find it, had to ask other employees about it, and then found out the truck was in the body shop. According to the manager, he saw an employee moving the truck and lightly hit a water pipe which caused a small indentation in the plastic part of the front bumper. I told them to give me a call when it is fixed. I am probably being a baby, but I feel like it is no longer brand spankin new after being in the body shop, no matter how minor. What would be an acceptable amount of compensation for this if I were still to buy? I do not think they will move on price but maybe they will throw in some accessories. Any thoughts?
If they just need to heat the bumper cover and massage it out and it looks perfect, I'd at least go for a set of rubber mats.....for your trouble....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point - no they didn't. I didn't think about asking at the time and it had been a long day. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
run. for the entire life of the truck, When I am cruising down a highway, contemplating life, THAT will pop into my head. no thanks.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Good point - no they didn't. I didn't think about asking at the time and it had been a long day. Oh well.
On a positive note, my wife totally crunched a corner of our Avalon's rear bumper. First body shop we went to (wasn't going to claim it on insurance if I didn't have to) said they' have to replace the whole cover, including the trim pieces, etc. for around $1500. The second body shop, the manager got a tech to take the cover off while we were there. They inspected the 'bumper frame' and said it was perfect and the only damage was to the cover. They ordered the trim piece and said they could easily heat and mold out the cover and put it back on. They said $400. When we got it back, it was perfect.

Not a body shop guy; however, I was impressed. Hopefully, that is all they will need to do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
run. for the entire life of the truck, When I am cruising down a highway, contemplating life, THAT will pop into my head. no thanks.
I agree. It'll always be a lingering thought. Or maybe it'll show up on VIN records that it's been in the body shop, not sure. Either way, I'd get a brand spankin' new one or demand to pay for it as a used vehicle (half off :grin:).

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was looking at the new RL's before buying, one came in that had a small dimple in the tailgate about the size of a half dollar. This dealer uses a sub-contractor to do clean up and pre-delivery detailing. These guys can also do paintless dent repair (PDR). After they finished you couldn't see a thing. I think we would be surprised at the actual number of "brand spanking new" vehicles of all makes that have minor blemishes that occur during transport corrected before being sold. As long as they fix it satisfactorily I wouldn't worry about it. It should never show on any record (CarFax or other).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go down tomorrow, and take a look. Significant damage isn't fixed overnight. If it's just a dimple, they can heat it, and voila... cosmetic problem fixed. And they should throw in perhaps mats (but I'd go for a bed extender and roof rack). A cosmetic dimple, with no memory issues, or Bondo, wouldn't keep me up nights, or thinking about it for more than the time it takes to repair it...

I have no doubt I'll have a windshield ding (like I get on every other vehicle) in weeks or months... That won't keep me up nights either...

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I have no doubt I'll have a windshield ding (like I get on every other vehicle) in weeks or months... That won't keep me up nights either...
I already have two...cringed on the first one, then thought: " Oh, well" and didn't even bother when the second one happened....

Fact of life while driving, especially in certain areas, like here in Flagstaff, AZ...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Personally I'd have to see it with my own eyes, if that's not possible, photos of the damage. Otherwise it's a used vehicle, I'd ask for another 15% off, and wouldn't accept any less than 7%. Driving off the lot and attempt to return it the next day, and I guarantee they would offer 10-20% less than purchase price

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
he saw an employee moving the truck and lightly hit a water pipe
I am just thinking....what "water pipe" would cause a small ding? the only one I can think of would not be in a parking lot and get hit by a truck...Maybe the dude dropped it on the truck? lol
Water pipes that are exposed are huge and close to the ground so I think there would be more damage than a ding.
But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The manager showed me the water pipe. It's some sort of u-shaped pipe coming out of the ground and going back in. Hard to describe, but looking at the height of it I could see it being the perfect height to get the front bumper.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
If they just need to heat the bumper cover and massage it out and it looks perfect, I'd at least go for a set of rubber mats.....for your trouble....
I had the exact same thing happen on a Hyundai Santa Fe. The bumper was never the same and the reflectors in the bumper never fit correctly on the side that was damaged.

Personally I would look for another RL.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Ask if it's going to be reported. If not ask for a warranty in case it opens up again or the paint cracks on that spot. Maybe they will throw in a wind deflector for the hood?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts