Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to place an order on a 2021 Ridgeline (just trying to decide between steel and red), thought I would read the TSB and issues forums just to see what issues to potentially look for. Wow, was that a mistake, I am having severe reservations about placing my order as the overwhelming consensus of that forum is that the Ridgeline is wrought with assembly issues and defects.
I'm coming from a Subaru outback with over 300,000km that i have literally done nothing but wheel bearings on. I got the urge for a change and was going to give the Subaru to my 17yr old son. Now I wondering if i should go for 400,000km on the Subaru and wait for something better to come along. I realize that the TSB forum is a forum for the vocal minority to voice there concerns and issues, but it doesn't seem like some of these issues are one off's. Water intrusion, wind noise, ill-fitting trim, a stereo so bad you can't listen to it, poor adhesive/sealant and paint, etc.
Are these things being blown out of proportion? If you had it to do all over again, would you?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your post expresses some of my thoughts. I read reviews about the 2021 RL from various publications. Decided the RL would be a great truck for me. I don't do serious off road anymore. The RL had great reviews.

Then I started reading this forum. My experience is people post more about problems than they do praising their vehicles. I have observed that through many different vehicle forums. It seems Honda has a quality issue with the RL. Doesn't help that the chip shortage and CV19 has made it to where most dealers want MSRP and won't bargain. That has me on hold in pursuing a RL.

Hopefully some RL owners will post up. Really like the information owners provide.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
564 Posts
I realize that the TSB forum is a forum for the vocal minority to voice there concerns and issues, but it doesn't seem like some of these issues are one off's. Water intrusion, wind noise, ill-fitting trim, a stereo so bad you can't listen to it, poor adhesive/sealant and paint, etc.
Are these things being blown out of proportion? If you had it to do all over again, would you?
I had a 2017 and now a 2021. I have not had any of these issues.

automobile forums attract those that have problems, not those who are happy. The happy ones monitor the forums to be aware of things that may go wrong in hopes to do things to avoid the same issues and be aware of early signs.

If you let what you read in forums scare you away from a purchase, you will never purchase a new vehicle.

Go for the truck you have decided upon and enjoy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was about to place an order on a 2021 Ridgeline (just trying to decide between steel and red), thought I would read the TSB and issues forums just to see what issues to potentially look for. Wow, was that a mistake, I am having severe reservations about placing my order as the overwhelming consensus of that forum is that the Ridgeline is wrought with assembly issues and defects.
I'm coming from a Subaru outback with over 300,000km that i have literally done nothing but wheel bearings on. I got the urge for a change and was going to give the Subaru to my 17yr old son. Now I wondering if i should go for 400,000km on the Subaru and wait for something better to come along. I realize that the TSB forum is a forum for the vocal minority to voice there concerns and issues, but it doesn't seem like some of these issues are one off's. Water intrusion, wind noise, ill-fitting trim, a stereo so bad you can't listen to it, poor adhesive/sealant and paint, etc.
I'm in the same mind set as you. I was planning on getting a new 2021 RTL this fall/winter but after reading all the negative reviews of the new RL I'm beginning to have serious doubts as well. My 2012 Tacoma still runs like a champ but I wanted a more comfortable, enjoyable ride for my 68 year old body which is why I was thinking of trading in my old ride for the RTL. Maybe wait for the 2022 line to come out or someone mentioned the 2022 Frontier as a good alternative??
Just not sure what to do right now. Luckily I'm not in a serious need for a new truck at the moment so maybe it's best to just sit this one out for a spell and see what happens.

Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
59 Posts
Water intrusion, wind noise, ill-fitting trim, a stereo so bad you can't listen to it, poor adhesive/sealant and paint, etc. Are these things being blown out of proportion? If you had it to do all over again, would you?
Bought my Ridgeline in March. After joining the forums here I had almost instant buyers remorse. Everything you said above plus brakes automatically locking on at 70mph on an Interstate for no reason to...well you name it. Personally I would probably would not have bought mine if I had come here first. Maybe you should stay with the Subaru like you are thinking until you get over the uncertainty you now have. I drove my Ridgeline on a 2000 mile trip shortly after buying and I like it a lot. Performed perfectly. Glad I bought it now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I haven't gotten mine yet, so take that for what it's worth, but if you frequent auto forums you know that complaining is what 50% of people do.

Another 50% is bragging about doing stuff or buying aftermarket goodies for things that 95% of owners will never do like extreme rock-crawling or track racing.

The other 20% is posting about things no one knows anything about, like global finance, the economics of the oil industry, or celebrity vehicle crashes.

Oh, did I mention most forum people are math-challenged?

·
Administrator
18,548 Posts
As someone who has owned 12 Hondas including 6 Ridgelines over the past 15 years, I can say that I love the Ridgeline, but hate Honda's quality decline - particularly on the vehicles coming out of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama where the Ridgeline is made.

After years of loyalty, I left Honda last year after a lemon 2019 Ridgeline and had no intentions of coming back. A year later, I did, but I wouldn't have done so had Honda Customer Service not covered part of the cost. My 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata and 2020 CX-5 reminded me that there are still reliable, precisely-assembled automobiles out there.

At this point, I'm no longer in love with Honda and have never been more brand-agnostic. I do enjoy my 2021 Ridgeline and it's been one of the better Hondas I've owned in the short period of time I've owned it. It not for the Ridgeline, though, I wouldn't own another vehicle with an open bed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
automobile forums attract those that have problems, not those who are happy. The happy ones monitor the forums to be aware of things that may go wrong in hopes to do things to avoid the same issues and be aware of early signs.

If you let what you read in forums scare you away from a purchase, you will never purchase a new vehicle.
I agree with these sentiments exactly. I had a Frontier before my RL and over on that forum, I read lots of horror stories as well. I sold my Frontier at 11 years old and just under 100k miles with barely more than routine maintenance. I did pre-emptively replace the radiator as SMOD was a big concern on them. But that was cheap all things considered.

I have had my RL for just over two years and so far, aside from a recall, no issues to speak of. Routine maintenance only. We know there have been some with issues, and that is inevtiable. Even with that said, Consumer Reports still rates the RL much better than anything else in the segment.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,647 Posts
Coming from an 08 RTL where I put 334,000 miles on it with no real issues, I just recently purchased a 2020 RTL-E and have not had any issues with it either. I've been on this forum since right after purchasing my 08 and have listened to all the issues I think Ridgelines have experienced since 2006. I have heard of about any issue that you can think of since joining. I drive 40-50K a year and (For me) these Ridgelines are about as trouble free a vehicle I have driven in the 68 years of driving and over 3 million miles of driving here in the NW.

I would still be driving my 08 which would have gone another trouble free 100,000 miles if I had not carelessly totaled it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the Ridgeline was as bad as you think it might be based on your readings it would be public knowledge. You would find all those issues on every review and every article outside this.forum. Keep doing research

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm in the same mind set as you. I was planning on getting a new 2021 RTL this fall/winter but after reading all the negative reviews of the new RL I'm beginning to have serious doubts as well. My 2012 Tacoma still runs like a champ but I wanted a more comfortable, enjoyable ride for my 68 year old body which is why I was thinking of trading in my old ride for the RTL. Maybe wait for the 2022 line to come out or someone mentioned the 2022 Frontier as a good alternative??
Just not sure what to do right now. Luckily I'm not in a serious need for a new truck at the moment so maybe it's best to just sit this one out for a spell and see what happens.

I take everything I read on forums with a huge grain of salt. There's a lot to be said for car mags and reviewers, who don't usually have an axe to grind, and who are very enthusiastic about the Ridgeline vs the other midsize trucks for everyday driving.

I have a '19 Tacoma and am just getting tired of the unrefined ride and the work of the manual transmission. Went to get some stuff from a storage unit 20 miles away yesterday, and I felt exhausted after I got home--winds gusting up to 40 mph didn't help.

Yes it's a BOF truck, and I don't expect it to drive like a sedan, and I specifically chose the MT cause I like rolling through the gears. But, I realize that I don't do significant offroading, and I do drive the truck up to 40 miles a day for work, so I think it's time for something more refined.

There won't be a real update on the Ridgeline (G3) for at least a couple of years, so there's no reason to wait on that. The 2022 Frontier looks nice in pictures, but A) it will ride and perform essentially like the Tacoma--in fact even looks like it, B) will be in demand because it's a big update, C) will not have the gas mileage of the Ridgeline (same powertrain as previous generation), and D) I would put Honda reliability long-term over Nissan. Also, FWIW, Nissan dealers seem to have a bad reputation, at least in my area. I am pleased with the Honda dealer I am working with so far--very helpful, and not pushy at all.

Test drive the Ridgeline a fair amount to see if it works for you. And take all the chatter on the internet with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
When I was shopping for a Ridgeline (gen 1), I went thru every Ridgeline on the dealers lot looking for issues. I found a lot of them. My salesman (I had bought 4 cars and helped him get 4 others at the time) got me every key and allowed me to log every flaw on all 18 Ridgelines - one had no flaws and I bought it (even though the wife did not like the color) - no issues for the 3 years I owned it.

Buying without test driving and examining every detail will get you a lemon.
Spend time reading the owners manual - I read it cover to cover before I drove one. I knew what every light and control did.
The ones I might buy I did the following checks:
Does the radio pick up you favorite station, does the USB mp3 work, does the touch screen work.
I drove it onto an interstate to see acceleration, cruise control, and transmission smoothness.
I took it to a car wash and checked it for leaks - 2 had leaks so I did not buy them.
I examined under the hood for loose parts and hood adjustment. Same with the trunk and tailgate.
Checked everything in the passenger compartment - seat adjustment and rear seat up and down and for any defects.
Do the mirrors work, the sunroof open and close - windows up and down, doors open and shut properly.
Do the wheels match, does the trim fit correctly, paint defects that are visible.

Every car maker has issues - you have to weed out the bad ones on the lot - the dealers has no desire to do that for you. The pre-delivery inspections (PDI) is supposed to do that for you but is mostly put in the fuses and removing the protective plastic from everything. The usually fail to install the plugs and safety cords on the Ridgelines. It is just check off the boxes in the booklet in the glove compartment - few if any really get checked as required.

Ironically, the dealers are interested in getting the "Presidents Award" - too bad Honda does not do random checks to see that the PDI is done correctly - if 2 vehicles they check fail - then no Presidents Award.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
564 Posts

Two observations to keep in mind.

I am slightly older than you at 74 and do not want to procrastinate about vehicle purchases because I do not know how many more I will be able to buy and enjoy. At this age, I am looking at warranty coverage rather than putting hundreds of thousands of miles on my vehicles.

Secondly, why wait for the 2022 Ridgeline because it is not going to change much from the 2021. 2021 is a mid-cycle refresh that is cosmetic and does not change the basic vehicle. The new front styling and additional features that have been equipped in Canada do not diminish reliability.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My 2019 is just about 1.5 years old and I have 22k trouble-free miles. My hood did jiggle a little, but they adjusted it while in for an oil change, no big deal to me. I had a 2007 before that - sold it at like 160-170k miles due to rust and desire for a fresh ride. I have the unsupported feeling that the G1 was built better than the G2.....but that might be from reading this forum. Again, so far/so good in my 2019. If it continues without big issues I'll probably keep it a long time. Fits my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I take everything I read on forums with a huge grain of salt. There's a lot to be said for car mags and reviewers, who don't usually have an axe to grind, and who are very enthusiastic about the Ridgeline vs the other midsize trucks for everyday driving.

I have a '19 Tacoma and am just getting tired of the unrefined ride and the work of the manual transmission. Went to get some stuff from a storage unit 20 miles away yesterday, and I felt exhausted after I got home--winds gusting up to 40 mph didn't help.

Yes it's a BOF truck, and I don't expect it to drive like a sedan, and I specifically chose the MT cause I like rolling through the gears. But, I realize that I don't do significant offroading, and I do drive the truck up to 40 miles a day for work, so I think it's time for something more refined.

There won't be a real update on the Ridgeline (G3) for at least a couple of years, so there's no reason to wait on that. The 2022 Frontier looks nice in pictures, but A) it will ride and perform essentially like the Tacoma--in fact even looks like it, B) will be in demand because it's a big update, C) will not have the gas mileage of the Ridgeline (same powertrain as previous generation), and D) I would put Honda reliability long-term over Nissan. Also, FWIW, Nissan dealers seem to have a bad reputation, at least in my area. I am pleased with the Honda dealer I am working with so far--very helpful, and not pushy at all.

Test drive the Ridgeline a fair amount to see if it works for you. And take all the chatter on the internet with a grain of salt.
Great points about the Frontier. And waiting another 2-3 years for the G3 lineup is out of the question for me.

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,512 Posts
I bought a 2020 RTL-E a year ago April. Granted, I only have 7600 miles on it, but it has been mostly a dependable vehicle. I say mostly because I had a front end issue with creaking and groaning when taking off and coming to a stop. Dealer was excellent in tracking the noise down to a faulty right front strut and replaced it. Solved the problem. The only other issue is the occasional failure of the auto engine stop. Sometimes it works.....others it doesn't. Will have dealer check at next oil change.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
260 Posts
When I was shopping for a Ridgeline (gen 1), I went thru every Ridgeline on the dealers lot looking for issues. I found a lot of them. My salesman (I had bought 4 cars and helped him get 4 others at the time) got me every key and allowed me to log every flaw on all 18 Ridgelines - one had no flaws and I bought it (even though the wife did not like the color) - no issues for the 3 years I owned it.

Buying without test driving and examining every detail will get you a lemon.
Spend time reading the owners manual - I read it cover to cover before I drove one. I knew what every light and control did.
The ones I might buy I did the following checks:
Does the radio pick up you favorite station, does the USB mp3 work, does the touch screen work.
I drove it onto an interstate to see acceleration, cruise control, and transmission smoothness.
I took it to a car wash and checked it for leaks - 2 had leaks so I did not buy them.
I examined under the hood for loose parts and hood adjustment. Same with the trunk and tailgate.
Checked everything in the passenger compartment - seat adjustment and rear seat up and down and for any defects.
Do the mirrors work, the sunroof open and close - windows up and down, doors open and shut properly.
Do the wheels match, does the trim fit correctly, paint defects that are visible.

Every car maker has issues - you have to weed out the bad ones on the lot - the dealers has no desire to do that for you. The pre-delivery inspections (PDI) is supposed to do that for you but is mostly put in the fuses and removing the protective plastic from everything. The usually fail to install the plugs and safety cords on the Ridgelines. It is just check off the boxes in the booklet in the glove compartment - few if any really get checked as required.

Ironically, the dealers are interested in getting the "Presidents Award" - too bad Honda does not do random checks to see that the PDI is done correctly - if 2 vehicles they check fail - then no Presidents Award.

I mean no disrespect when I say I laughed at this, I think its awesome that you are so thorough when buying a vehicle but the effort and work here is insane, I wish I had the fortitude to do this during new car purchases. I will come and kidnap you next time I buy a new vehicle and make you evaluate them all. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Those of us old enough that bought new cars in the late 60's-80's have to crack a smile on some of the issues that are on auto forums today. Issues back then were, My cars rusted out in 2 years of service or my engine crapped the bed with 85 miles of service. Lets not forged the new car warranty a very generous 12 month /12k miles. If you got 100k miles on it you were one of the lucky ones. Autos today are leaps and bounds better then they were then. Back then you bought a car every 3-4 years if you wanted one or not. Just saying :)

1 - 20 of 162 Posts