Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I believe that we can look forward to witnessing a case of "buyer's regret" here if the OP does not listen to his doubts and follows through with this sale by allowing an Internet forum to make this decision for him? :(

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to jump in I'm looking forward to enjoying my 2021 RTL Honda purchase ever after being a loyal GM fan as my 2018 $40K Chev Traverse had the torque converter replaced at 7K miles, water leaks, air bag recalls, new dash wiring.... also my 2014 $44K Silverado with 11 high level recalls.
The point is as was said the quality of manufacturing engineering is becoming a hit and miss across all auto makers. It's not a perfect world we now live in and just need to adjust and keep looking forward. Never regret a decision that was make for the right reason at the time.

Hoffernsp

·
Registered
343 Posts
I shared the OPs concern when I was shopping for a truck as well. I visited forums for the other trucks I was considering. Even the "reliability champ" Tacoma has issues. Every vehicle does. As someone who has been reading car forums every since they existed, I can tell you a few things I know to be true:

1. People who regularly participate in forums are enthusiasts
  2. Enthusiasts are FAR FAR FAR more anal about their vehicles than your normal car buyer
  3. Most vehicles, Ridgeline included, are not designed and manufactured for enthusiasts
  4. There is little reason to post, "My vehicle has been 100% reliable" on forums unless said vehicle has extremely high mileage
  5. People like negativity. It's much more satisfying to bitch, complain, moan, and find fault than it is to post "I love my truck"
  6. Enthusiasts do things with vehicles most people won't ever do...so they push them to the limit
  7. People use forums to gain insight into problems. No reason to post "My truck runs great...how can I make it suck?". Most have an issue they want help solving, so they turn to the net.
  8. Often times people screw up their own vehicles and won't admit it..."All my airbags deployed for no reason!" but they forget to mention that sweet jump the launched it off of.
For the most part, any modern vehicle is going to be fairly reliable. It's going to start and get you where you want to go 99.9% of the time. There will be some lemons. There will be assembly issues and flaws that make it past QC. I remember my Dad owning a Audi that had a rattle in the console. He shoved a book of matches into the panel gap and it never rattled again. If that happened to someone here, they would probably post how they had to make 10 trips to the dealer to fix a rattle and how much their truck sucked because it "shouldn't do that". I agree...but sometimes the simple fix is just a matchbook and go on about your day.

If you're shopping for vehicle like the Ridgeline, you really can't do any better in terms of quality. Is there a chance you'll get a bad one...of course...but that's what the warranty and Lemon Law is for. I was so alarmed by the posts here that I bought an extended warranty...first one I've ever bought on a car ever as I typically think they are a rip off...but when I seen posts about transmissions grenading for "no reason at all"...I get a little uncomfortable.

So far my Ridgeline has been perfect, but I only have 13,000 miles on it since I now work from home due to the pandemic (and will continue to do so). I have never towed with my vehicle and I have no plans to, but I did add a brake controller just in case I ever have the need. I have never really tested my truck under extreme circumstances (other than a little water fording). It's been trouble free and my only complaint is that the radio reception sucks...thank God for Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
And now Honda raised the lending rates on the Ridgeline to 1.9% and 2.9%. The other Honda models are still at 0%.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's precisely why we've ended up with so many mediocre and crappy products these days - most people are willing to accept them in exchange for a lower price. I refuse to accept garbage.
Getting my ducks in a row here before making further comment, have you recently purchased another Ridgeline zroger73?

Bill

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have mostly VW's. Specifically TDi. I drive them and use them. I also take care of them. They rarely if ever have the problems I hear/read about.

Now for a small story. I am an RN. I have been one for 22 years. When I first started, I became super "depressed" over all the sick people I saw in the hospital on the floor.

Spoke with the Chief of Medicine. I asked him if people in this world are all sick since that is what it looked liked to me. He said, look where you are working. The vast vast vast vast VAST majority of people are just fine and healthy. And he was right. You are living in a microcosm when you visit the forum. It would be nice if people came here just to say how awesome the truck is and it has no problems. Then again, it would be nice for patients to come to my ER and tell me that they feel perfectly fine. When you find a perfect truck, let me know.

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
214 Posts
Are these things being blown out of proportion? If you had it to do all over again, would you?
I can't speak to the issues others have reported, but I can share my experience. I have had my 2021 RTL-E for roughly 2 months now and it has been flawless so far. I do not have even one single issue or defect that needs dealer service or adjustment to report so far.

I think message boards such as this one tend to elicit and amplify negative experiences over positive experiences and should be read with that understanding going it. After all how many threads begin with the title "My new Ridgeline is perfect, please help"? Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is many threads are started to solve, amplify, or complain about issues.

In answer to your second question, "would I do it again?", my answer is "absolutely".

Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never ordered a car in my life. Every vehicle I have owned I have purchased from what was sitting on the dealers lot. By doing so I am inspecting the vehicle before making an offer. After reading through this and other threads I have a question.

If one works with a dealer for a RL, negotiates a price and puts a deposit down, the dealer places a request/order for the vehicle, the RL shows up at the dealers, you go and inspect the RL and finds issues with the vehicle,

Can you reject the vehicle or is it a done deal and you are stuck with working with the dealers to get things fixed?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You have no obligation to purchase.
I thought that might be the case. Since I have never ordered a vehicle thought I would ask.

Thanks for the confirming. One dealer not to far away seems to still be discounting about 5 percent. May go talk to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m at about 27,000 miles on a 19 RTL. It’s been back to the dealer for service twice, just the routine maintenance. I traded in a 13 Tacoma with 110,000 on it that I loved, but the RL is better in almost every way. I’ve done a couple of 900+ mile days and it was as comfy as any car I’ve owned. Nothing to tow other than a small utility trailer so I can’t speak to towing. I have zero complaints overall. I’d prefer the styling of the 21 but have no desire to upgrade from something that I consider just broken in. I know there are legitimate complaints and issues out there but I’m glad it didn't deter me from buying. We’ll see if that opinion holds in another 5 years but so far it’s been great. I enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
48 Posts
I have never ordered a car in my life. Every vehicle I have owned I have purchased from what was sitting on the dealers lot. By doing so I am inspecting the vehicle before making an offer. After reading through this and other threads I have a question.

If one works with a dealer for a RL, negotiates a price and puts a deposit down, the dealer places a request/order for the vehicle, the RL shows up at the dealers, you go and inspect the RL and finds issues with the vehicle,

Can you reject the vehicle or is it a done deal and you are stuck with working with the dealers to get things fixed?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Mine was a refundable deposit. I had time to inspect the vehicle before we went to the office to do the paperwork.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ve had my 2019 since December of 2020, I have had exactly zero issues. I seriously doubt you can read any car forum on any brand and not find disgruntled owners. I know this about ridgeline, Im in my 60s and have never owned a better vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2019 ridgeline plain jane with 14k on it and could not be more happy, but with that said I came from a 2018 F150 Lariat loaded and this ridgeline is 10 times the vehicle that ford ever thought bout being

My only regret with Honda is that they do not make a 3/4 or 1 ton truck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was about to place an order on a 2021 Ridgeline (just trying to decide between steel and red), thought I would read the TSB and issues forums just to see what issues to potentially look for. Wow, was that a mistake, I am having severe reservations about placing my order as the overwhelming consensus of that forum is that the Ridgeline is wrought with assembly issues and defects.
I'm coming from a Subaru outback with over 300,000km that i have literally done nothing but wheel bearings on. I got the urge for a change and was going to give the Subaru to my 17yr old son. Now I wondering if i should go for 400,000km on the Subaru and wait for something better to come along. I realize that the TSB forum is a forum for the vocal minority to voice there concerns and issues, but it doesn't seem like some of these issues are one off's. Water intrusion, wind noise, ill-fitting trim, a stereo so bad you can't listen to it, poor adhesive/sealant and paint, etc.
Are these things being blown out of proportion? If you had it to do all over again, would you?
Just here to lend you my experience with the Honda RL. I purchased a 2018 Sport in 2017. I had it for about 3.5 years before I sold her. I bought in her place a 2014 RL Sport with low miles because honestly, it was more of a truck than the Pilot lookalike I previously had. To your point, my 2018 had the following issues/concerns: poor fit and finish on the interior parts and pieces as well as a couple of alignment problems on the exterior. Kind of low in my opinion coming from owning Hondas since 1999. The brakes on my 2018 were just terrible. Started vibrating at less than 20k miles while braking, not ideal. Honestly, that was about it. I had actually planned on going from the 2018 to a 2021 model until all the bad press it was getting with countless issue after issue. And at a US price point of $40-42k, I wasn't about to take that leap. Glad I didn't, my 2014 is by far the RL I had wanted from the start. Finding one with lower miles was a challenge, but I didn't give up. The facelift on the 2021 is not enough to change my mind, especially with all the issues I have read about and the fact that the interior is still the Honda Pilot. No thanks. In closing I will say this, my RL is a great versatile truck. I have driven them all, trucks that is, and at the end of the day, I couldn't be more happy with my decision to own and daily drive my Honda Ridgeline Sport. Best of luck to you!

41 - 60 of 157 Posts