Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the anti-lock brakes in the Ridge, but first let me tell you what happened today.

I was driving along the two-lane, one way frontage road at 45 mph. The guy in adjacent lane, suddenly and unexpectedly, makes a left turn by crossing from the right lane, in front of me, and off to a street to the left under the freeway. I hit the horn and the brakes. He just kept on crossing in front of me like I wasn't there. (no, I was not in his blind spot and his window was down so he could have seen me if he looked and certainly had to hear the horn) I really stood on the brakes to avoid t-boning him. As luck would have it, there was a DPS officer on the street he turned onto who didn't see a thing.

Anyway, now for my question. The wheels stopped turning when I stood on the brakes. All four wheels were skidding. The ridge did stay in a straight path, but the wheels definitely locked up. This is contrary to any prior experience I've had with anti-lock brakes. Other vehicles I've had with ABS will modulate the braking force to the wheels in a way that maximizes stopping while preventing wheel lock-up.

So, my question is: Where's the "anti" in the anti-lock brakes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you called Honda on that one? I'm eager to hear what they say.

If I don't use them before I get more miles on, I plan to ABS it occassionally just to make sure they work, and circulate the fluid like on my other ABS cars. It's nice to know what to expect.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Has anyone seen the Ridgeline TV commercial where the driver locks-up the brakes when he sees a big Bear in the road? The truck slides slightly sideways and the driver hops out and throws a fish to the side to get the bear to move. Seems like anti-lock brakes should not slide even on a dirt road but if they didn't the commercial would loose intensity.

L

·
0 Posts
I had a smiliar situation last week on the way to the track. I was towing the kart trailer and all of a sudden this D&^%$$ in front of me decides he needs to turn on the the street that is 100 feet ahead of him on the left. He's hits his brakes so I slow down, he begins his turn, no oncoming traffic, and then all of a sudden stops dead and begins to back up. I guess he realized it was the wrong road. OH S&*T. I hit the brakes. I yelled to Drew "brace yourself." Ridgena was fantastic. No sliding, no locking up and we stopped about 1/2 inch away from his bumper. Of course I opened my window and yelled to him what a great driver I thought he was. ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
626 Posts
It doesn't sound like your ABS is working correctly, Desert... in fact, now I'm going to have to test mine, too! I think everyone knows that ABS will make your braking distance longer, but the whole point of it is that your wheels should not be locking up!! It sounds to me like you know exactly how it should feel when they're activated (to me it feels like a vibration in the pedal) -- did you feel that?

I'm definitely going to be finding myself a big, empty parking lot where I can test my brakes... now, where to find a big, empty parking lot in SoCal??

Desert Ridge said:
I have a question about the anti-lock brakes in the Ridge, but first let me tell you what happened today.

I was driving along the two-lane, one way frontage road at 45 mph. The guy in adjacent lane, suddenly and unexpectedly, makes a left turn by crossing from the right lane, in front of me, and off to a street to the left under the freeway. I hit the horn and the brakes. He just kept on crossing in front of me like I wasn't there. (no, I was not in his blind spot and his window was down so he could have seen me if he looked and certainly had to hear the horn) I really stood on the brakes to avoid t-boning him. As luck would have it, there was a DPS officer on the street he turned onto who didn't see a thing.

Anyway, now for my question. The wheels stopped turning when I stood on the brakes. All four wheels were skidding. The ridge did stay in a straight path, but the wheels definitely locked up. This is contrary to any prior experience I've had with anti-lock brakes. Other vehicles I've had with ABS will modulate the braking force to the wheels in a way that maximizes stopping while preventing wheel lock-up.

So, my question is: Where's the "anti" in the anti-lock brakes?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
How do you know your wheels were locked up? Even with ABS the tires will still squeal and leave rubber on the road when full pressure is applied. There's still a small amount of slippage occurring which is by design. The ridge also has brake assist in which it senses a panic stop and will apply full hydrolic pressure even if you don't. If the ABS is activated you will feel a sort of pumping/pulsating feeling thru the brake pedal, however in a panic situation you might not notice that.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have also experienced a braking abnormality never felt before in any other vehicle I have owned. Brakes lock up very easily on my RTS, especially when going downhill. It is a momentary lock that can be relieved by letting some foot pressure off the pedal, but these brakes are oh so sensitive to foot pressure. Maybe this is a Honda thing as this is my first Honda.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have the other vehicles you have owned had the Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD) that the Ridgeline has? This may account for your different perception of how sensitive the brakes are. I agree with early posts that even with ABS, under panic situations (or very hard braking if not used to EBFD) the tires will still squeel. The idea of ABS is to avoid losing control under "stomp and steer" scenarios. The brakes release pressure just enough to allow you to still steer. Even in a skidding situation, a slight release in pressure can still allow you to steer.

I think that the Honda/Bear/Fish commercial has a little Hollywood in it. The skidding slightly sideways Ridgeline adds to the dramatic effect. However, if there were no trailer brakes installed or hooked up, the weight of the trailer would push the rear end of ANY vehicle slightly to the side around a corner on a dirt road like in the commercial. The fact that the Ridgeline stops with minimal skidding and no "jackknifing" just further enhances the safety of this truck.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just to clarify for those who don't know the difference between Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distribution and Vehicle Stability Assist in which the Ridge has.

Electronic Brake Distribution adjusts braking pressure front-to-rear, based on the weight distribution of passengers and/or cargo. Weight distribution is determined via the relative difference in rotational speed of the front and rear wheels. Greater braking pressure, and subsequently stopping power, is directed to the rear wheels when cargo loads in the rear are heavier.

Brake Assist system monitors the driver’s use of the brake pedal, automatically sensing an attempt to stop the car as a result of panic situation. If a panic stop is detected the system it will apply full power to the braking sytem even when the driver is only pressing lightly on the brake pedal.

The VSA system monitors lateral (cornering) stability and integrates traction control, 4-wheel drive, anti-lock braking, throttle control and stability control functions by modulating brake power at each wheel and controlling throttle input. Even if you take no action, VSA will reduce engine power and/or apply the brakes to reduce front or rear side-slip in an under/over steer skid situation.

·
Registered
346 Posts
During my first test drive in a Ridgeline the salesman directed me to a gravel road to test the VSA system. While travelling at about 50 mph I started to swerve the truck from left to right. The VSA worked great. When the brake antilock system kicked in there was no mistaking it. You could feel the chatter in the brake pedal and clearly hear it. There was some tire slippage but the system eliminated the swerve once it had begun.

It has been my experience that this technology will never totally eliminate skid or lock up...only reduce its negative effects and help bring the vehicle back under control.

L

·
0 Posts
rms56 said:
During my first test drive in a Ridgeline the salesman directed me to a gravel road to test the VSA system. While travelling at about 50 mph I started to swerve the truck from left to right. The VSA worked great. When the brake antilock system kicked in there was no mistaking it. You could feel the chatter in the brake pedal and clearly hear it. There was some tire slippage but the system eliminated the swerve once it had begun.

It has been my experience that this technology will never totally eliminate skid or lock up...only reduce its negative effects and help bring the vehicle back under control.
WOW..great testimonial. Thanks for sharing. No wonder you bought the Ridgeline. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts