Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got tired of the POS fan speed control knob not working so I took it apart and fixed it, and it seems to be working fine, did it a week ago, so only time will tell if it lasts! NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO CHANGE OUT ANY BURNED OUT AC/HEATER CONTROL LIGHTS! First I removed the dash, there are two slots at the bottom of the dash pannel where your knees would be while driving, stick a small flat head screw driver into these slots first to release the bottom first.
Then just start popping off the rest of the dash by hand, dont pull too hard because there are wires attached behind it. Drop the tilt wheel all the way down, put e brake on and put shifter all the way down too. Once dash is loose and free reach/look behind and release all the plugs/wires and remove dash, you have to rotate it a bit to clear the steering wheel. Next I removed the 4 screws holding the ac/heater controls from the dash unit. Once you have the unit removed you have to pull the control knobs off, I grabbed them and pulled straight out with a little bit of force, it will release half way and then you have to pull it again and it will completly come off the unit.
Then remove the four screws on the back of the unit and split it in half be easy there is a wire loom you will see conecting the two halfs and you have to unplug it, and this is how it looks
Next remove the two screws on the center board and the two screws (one on each side of the temp and fan speed boards), and slide/pull out the sides and center board, once you have that out look at the fan controler board, there are two screws on it that have been soldered over, I heated them up and used a solder sucker (blue tool in pic) to remove the solder, then un screwed them,
Turn unit over and you will see the round control switch, you will need to pry the metal tabs back to open the unit, once opened remove the disc inside to expose the contacts, I took a Q-tip with contact cleaner and cleaned the round contact board and tips of cantacts, then took a small jewlers flat head screw driver and bent the contacts upwards
Then put back in reverse order, I used a small punch and tapped the tabs back down and then I re soldered the two screws. When you put the control knobs back on line them up (they are splined and push them back on, took me about an hour to do but that was with taking pics! Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera sucks for up close shots, once you get it apart you will see what is in there.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
So basically all you need to do is clean the contacts and the ring? Such and easy fix. Thanks for the pics and the discription. My hat is off too you. I like to see and "fix" things myself, instead of just replacing. Which is something that is hardly done anymore.

Btw on Honda deals, that control unit is about $363. I would say if it messes up again in a few months, take it out and clean it again.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
KT,

Nice post and nice that you included pics to help us "Tim Taylor" types. :act060:

BTW, if your camera has a macro function, it would help sharpen the close up pics.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically all you need to do is clean the contacts and the ring? Such and easy fix. Thanks for the pics and the discription. My hat is off too you. I like to see and "fix" things myself, instead of just replacing. Which is something that is hardly done anymore.

Btw on Honda deals, that control unit is about $363. I would say if it messes up again in a few months, take it out and clean it again.
Ya, 360$ was to much, I first thought you could just replace the one control until I looked into it and you have to buy the whole unit. And yes just bent the contacts back up a little and cleaned the contact wheel. Pretty straight forward, only hard part was un soldering the two screws. Hope it lasts, but an hour of my time is worth 360$ any day. I could not understand why they soldered the screws over? Mite be for grounding purposes or maybe just to keep people from doing what I did? Who knows.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
This thread will go into my document files just incase I need it later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A/C not coming on immediately with "On" switch in engaged position. Could "Low" freon cause the A/C compresson to NOT come on immediately? It (the compressor) comes on in about 3 to 4 minutes , but it use to come one prior to last week, immediately when "On" buttons are engaged?
Any suggestions?:act035:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Really appreciate this. Fortunately I have the "hands free" controls so I have been able to just speak the temperature. Not having use of the knob is a pain. I'm doing this on Saturday. Good excuse to go buy some soldering gear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A/C not coming on immediately with "On" switch in engaged position. Could "Low" freon cause the A/C compresson to NOT come on immediately? It (the compressor) comes on in about 3 to 4 minutes , but it use to come one prior to last week, immediately when "On" buttons are engaged?
Any suggestions?:act035:
My problem was when you turned the fan speed control knob, nothing would happen until you tapped/pushed pulled on the knob, then it would work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my climate control module apart over the weekend, tried cleaning the contacts but still no luck... The decoder (which is used to change the temperature), 3 of the connections connecting it the circuit board were loose, or not connected at all. Put some solder on those connections, has been working great since.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took my climate control module apart over the weekend, tried cleaning the contacts but still no luck... The decoder (which is used to change the temperature), 3 of the connections connecting it the circuit board were loose, or not connected at all. Put some solder on those connections, has been working great since.
Awsome! Good to hear you saved some coin!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you sir!

Exactly the problem I am having with mine.
It will be fixed tomorrow as I am pretty sharp with a soldering iron!

Cheers
Bernie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys idk if this is the right forum to ask but i figured it would be a start... I have an 07 ridgeline RT and the tempt/fan controls are the single style where the the temp dial controls the temp of the entire truck. I was look to remove that and install the one with the dual climate. I haven't pulled the dash yet but I was wondering would that be even possible with out too much wire splicing? thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys idk if this is the right forum to ask but i figured it would be a start... I have an 07 ridgeline RT and the tempt/fan controls are the single style where the the temp dial controls the temp of the entire truck. I was look to remove that and install the one with the dual climate. I haven't pulled the dash yet but I was wondering would that be even possible with out too much wire splicing? thanks in advance!!!!
Wont work, from what I have read, diffrent wire harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I needed this information because Ihave the same issue on my
"06 RL. However, I can't seem to see the pictures you posted ? Think you could repost them ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Newbie question here for the HVAC experts: Is there a secret to disconnecting the HVAC connector when removing the dash? I can't seem to get it removed no matter what I try. I wonder if the retainer is broken.

It looks like there are two parts to the green connector - one stays with the HVAC control unit and the other stays with the harness. I've searched the forum and haven't found anyone else with this question yet. It looks like there is a release point underneath the connector but I'm not enough of a gymnast to see it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I needed this information because Ihave the same issue on my
"06 RL. However, I can't seem to see the pictures you posted ? Think you could repost them ?
Pics are there, maybe your computer? PM me your e-mail and I will send em to you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Newbie question here for the HVAC experts: Is there a secret to disconnecting the HVAC connector when removing the dash? I can't seem to get it removed no matter what I try. I wonder if the retainer is broken.

It looks like there are two parts to the green connector - one stays with the HVAC control unit and the other stays with the harness. I've searched the forum and haven't found anyone else with this question yet. It looks like there is a release point underneath the connector but I'm not enough of a gymnast to see it.
Its a clip, you just need to release it. Most you can do with your fingers, some you may have to use a small flat head to get them to release.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts