·
Super Moderator
22,673 Posts
Excellent work KTMRICK. Nicely done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
My first post! I was able to get the control switch out and somewhat de-soldered, but could not get all of the solder out from under the screw head with my cheap copper wick so couldn't get the two screws out. Any hints as to how to get this step done. Tried for an hour with the solder gun and wick before giving up. thanks,

bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was having the same issue as previous owners. Last weekend followed the instructions and now my fan control is working perfectly. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone who has gotten done this fix know if the dial and contacts are corroded or just dirty and perhaps loose? Not sure if I should order just contact cleaner or more of a lubricant if the connections are loose or just mildly dirty. Looking at using this:

Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have not had to make this repair BUT my experience with cleaning many types of contact switches says to throughly clean the contacts, buff them shiny with steel wool or a very fine grit sand paper and ensure that the parts make good contact throughout their range of motion. But DO NOT use any lubricant. Lubricants only attract dirt, dust, etc and shorten the time between needed cleaningd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have not had to make this repair BUT my experience with cleaning many types of contact switches says to throughly clean the contacts, buff them shiny with steel wool or a very fine grit sand paper and ensure that the parts make good contact throughout their range of motion. But DO NOT use any lubricant. Lubricants only attract dirt, dust, etc and shorten the time between needed cleaningd.
Based on your recommendation I think I am going to switch to the D-series Deox it, which is more of a cleaner than a lube. Here's the marketing blurb from the company:

"DeoxIT ® D-Series is a fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, preserves, lubricates and improves conductivity on metal connectors and contacts. Use as a general treatment for connectors, contacts and other metal surfaces. Use on non-critical metal surfaces with severe oxidation and corrosion on the metal surface. If there is a discoloration of the metal - it is severe. Use DeoxIT ® to dissolve the contamination. DeoxIT ® will also lubricate and protect the surface. For reference, DeoxIT ® has approximately 20% cleaning action. Improves Conductivity Deoxidizes, Cleans & Preserves Reduces Intermittent Connections Reduces Arcing & RFI Reduces Wear & Abrasion Temperature Range, -34oC to 200oC"

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Could all be for naught as I sort of expect to find the contacts is good shape. I believe the OP bent the contacts up a bit, perhaps giving it a better connection. Maybe this is all that's needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Success!!!

As a new owner of a 2006 Ridgeline (my first Honda experience), I've been trolling this site for the past two weeks or so, looking for comments/suggestions for minor problems with this slightly used Ridgeline. One of the problems was the drivers side fan control and I stress the word *was*. Very easy step by step instructions even without the photos. I was able to fix the control in about an hour and a half (only because I was a solder novice) and it now works without a hitch!

Many thanks for the original post!

Now onto an annoying passenger floorboard leak I just discovered...

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY FIRST POST, I checked for a fix for my blower motor dial but too late, I had bought a used control module. Can anyone tell me if you can switch out the actual knobs of the A/C control on an 06 Ridgeline? and how its done. I had a very hard time finding a new Manual A/C control module and it has the wrong style knobs. I want to take the old ones off and put them on this replacement unit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Anyone have the pics or the thread with pics saved, or can the original poster re-post? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tackled this job today... took some pictures along the way, hope they help someone!

These are the two start points for removing the dash panel.

Dash partially pulled. Be careful of the connectors. Set the parking brake, drop the steering wheel all the way down, and use the shift lock release on the top of the steering column to allow you to put the shifter in "1". Dash is easiest to remove toward the passenger side.

These are the connectors to watch out for. Toughest one was for the HVAC (big green one). The release button is on the bottom.

Dash out and on the workbench. You can see the screws to remove the assembly.

Two halves split apart - remove four screws and plastic release tabs. Connector pulls right out (no release button).

Boards pulled from housing (four screws).

Metal tabs that need to be pulled back. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of the soldered screws. I didn't have a solder sucker, so I just used wire dipped in flux to remove the solder and release the screws.

Contacts separated. Need to clean the ring and fingers, then bend the fingers up. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Took about 90 minutes, including a run to the store for contact cleaner (I had run out). Glad to finally be able to control my temp again!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use DeoxIT quite often fixing old stereos (old pots are fussy). It's good stuff, and certainly better than leaving it unprotected for more oxidation.

Based on your recommendation I think I am going to switch to the D-series Deox it, which is more of a cleaner than a lube. Here's the marketing blurb from the company:

"DeoxIT ® D-Series is a fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, preserves, lubricates and improves conductivity on metal connectors and contacts. Use as a general treatment for connectors, contacts and other metal surfaces. Use on non-critical metal surfaces with severe oxidation and corrosion on the metal surface. If there is a discoloration of the metal - it is severe. Use DeoxIT ® to dissolve the contamination. DeoxIT ® will also lubricate and protect the surface. For reference, DeoxIT ® has approximately 20% cleaning action. Improves Conductivity Deoxidizes, Cleans & Preserves Reduces Intermittent Connections Reduces Arcing & RFI Reduces Wear & Abrasion Temperature Range, -34oC to 200oC"

DeoxIT® D-Series - Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator

Could all be for naught as I sort of expect to find the contacts is good shape. I believe the OP bent the contacts up a bit, perhaps giving it a better connection. Maybe this is all that's needed.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts