Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 RTL with about 150k on it. AC starting acting up, and what I mean is it would cool for a few minutes then stop and it somefimes would work again. I saw the ac clutch was engaging and then disengaging. Took to a trusted mechanic and he said pressures were good and suspects the compressor as being the issue. Looked over the forum here and saw some folks replacing the ac clutch relay. Tried that tonight, swapped with the heated seat relay but no luck. Is there anything else it could be? I got a quote of $720 to replace compressor. I didnt think that price was terrible, but I sure dont want to spend that if it might be something else.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There are three ac relays in that same location of the truck. I'd try swapping each one out first.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess one of the other ones you are referring to is the AC Condenser Fan Relay? I will check that. I guess if that one is tied to the ac clutch running it could be a possibility. What I mean is, I'm guessing the condenser fan automatically comes on every time the AC gets turned on. If it were having relay problems and shut off then the AC clutch would disengage and therefore no cooling. Other than this, I don't really know which other relays may play a role. I'm always getting air flow so the blower relay would not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I guess one of the other ones you are referring to is the AC Condenser Fan Relay? I will check that. I guess if that one is tied to the ac clutch running it could be a possibility. What I mean is, I'm guessing the condenser fan automatically comes on every time the AC gets turned on. If it were having relay problems and shut off then the AC clutch would disengage and therefore no cooling. Other than this, I don't really know which other relays may play a role. I'm always getting air flow so the blower relay would not be an issue.
A LOT of seemingly unrelated circuits can effect others in most modern vehicles, and our RL is no exception. I wouldn't be overlooking any possibilities here; you just might think your way clear of a possible solution.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure what tests they did to determine what they did. Ive tried looking at all the relays. I havent come across one thats bad. I may take it somewhere else to have another diagnosis soon

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah good idea when you go in make sure u ask them to test the pressure sensors...it's not hard all you have to do is unplug them and jump them with a wire if that passes then have them recharge the system with new freon not recycled and make sure they add new pag oil to the system how ever much comes out

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally bit the bullet and got this repaired. I did gamble and took to another shop to see what they thought. I happened to talk to one of the mechanics when I dropped it off and he mentioned it might be a relay. I said I checked that but feel free to check again. Made me feel good though knowing he was familiar with the typical issue. Well got the call later that day and they said it was the compressor just like the first shop. Their estimate was $1800!!! Now this was to replace everything to do with the AC system. The first shop just quoted me the compressor replacment only and felt like thats all I needed to replace. I trust the guy that runs this shop so I let them do it. Everything works great now, $700 later. Broke down to 4.5 hrs labor at $80 per hour and $300 for the part. Add shop supply fee and tax and it came to $700. I can live with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts