Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read....If your fan is on the off position after you start your truck and when you depress the fan speed button and that turns on you AC automatically even though it does not display below the temp display. You must then hit the AC off button to shut it off. If you turn your truck off with the AC off displayed then it will start with the AC in the OFF displayed. Long story short...does that mean I have been driving with my AC pump running all this time ??? and MPG may have been compromised. :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
953 Posts
It may mean that your A/C compressor has been engaging as needed but not running continuously. It will engage even with the (auto) heat on unless you specifically turn it off. This is an odd feature but it will keep the windows from fogging on the colder days.

Your gas mileage will be affected with the A/C compressor running.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
If your fan is on the off position after you start your truck and when you depress the fan speed button and that turns on you AC automatically even though it does not display below the temp display.
I don't think that is the case, CB. The A/C should be on in one of three cases; 1) The system is on AUTO (except the RT) 2) You have manually turned on the A/C with the A/C On/Off button 3) You have the Defrost button On. It is in the Defrost mode that "the A/C indicator will not be displayed if it was off to start with." The fan Up/Down switches only puts the fan in manual mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DoctorJ said:
It may meen that your A/C compressor has been engaging as needed but not running continuously. It will engage even with the (auto) heat on unless you specifically turn it off. This is an odd feature but it will keep the windows from fogging on the colder days.

Your gas mileage will be affected with the A/C compressor running.
Having the A/C come on periodically in the winter helps to keep the system lubricated as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Webwader said:
I don't think that is the case, CB. The A/C should be on in one of three cases; 1) The system is on AUTO (except the RT) 2) You have manually turned on the A/C with the A/C On/Off button 3) You have the Defrost button On. It is in the Defrost mode that "the A/C indicator will not be displayed if it was off to start with." The fan Up/Down switches only puts the fan in manual mode.
I think CB is actually correct. If you hit Hit the OFF button then hit Fan up, the A/C compressor is engaged even though the display doesn't indicate it is On. The only way to make sure it is off is to hit the A/C button until the display confirms it is truely Off.

I mentioned this issue a few months back here and most people don't think that is a real problem. For me it is. Stupid really, to have turn off the A/C when you only wanted the Fan air.

I totally agree that the low MPG results people are reporting, are being skewed slightly by the A/C compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
For me, the climate control system is one of the major nits to pick with Honda. In my view, unless one just sets it and forgets it, the system is not intuitive. One shouldn't need to wonder if the a/c is running and I prefer not having to look at a small display to effectively change fan settings. It's ok for setting the temp but for everything else related to the system, I prefer tactile feedback (old fashioned knobs and sliders) so that I can keep my eyes on the road.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Since it the weather is now colder here I have been using the heat more. I have found that with the A/C off the windows will tend to fog up unless its fairly dry oustide. At this point I tend disagree and while it may not be intuitive in the sense of artificial intelligence it does appear the auto program does what it needs to keep it warm without fogging the windows.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The A/C is on unless you see the A/C Off displayed.

Is there anyway to turn on the fan w/o the A/C turning on?
(other than hitting the A/C button to turn it off)

Also happens om my '05 Pilot

TL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts