Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if you can jump the AC clutch from the relay with jumper wire. My charge was low about 5-6 months ago and I put a can of refrigerant in that had sealer in it also. Everything had been working well until a few weeks back and now the clutch won't engage. I'd like to try to jump the clutch to rule out if that is a problem, and also to get a quick pressure check, if it's low, I'd also be able to get some refrigerant in so that the clutch would remain engaged and I could then put some dye in the system for leak detection. I've seen pros and cons to doing this because some say there will not be enough oil in the system to keep the compressor from having problems. I've seen no major leaks with oil, so I'm banking there is still enough in there.

The relay seems fine since I swaped it out with another in the box that is the same and the clutch would still not engage. All fan settings work normal on the ac control. Mine is the manual control, not automatic dual zone type.

Thanks for any insight. I'm hoping for something I can handle rather than going to the dealer or an AC shop. Maybe a hose or connection problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If the pressure is low, the system will not engage. Of course, the clutch could be bad or one of the relays. The easiest thing to do is check the charge pressure with a gauge.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
541 Posts
For a quick test, you can also turn on the A/C then unplug and jump the terminals at the low pressure switch connector. If the clutch engages, you'll know it's a low pressure issue. For obvious reason, I would disconnect the jumper immediately upon hearing that clutch engage.

You most likely had a leak that was temporarily sealed with the stop leak...refrigerant has leaked out again. If that clutch engages by jumping the connector, i'd bring it to a shop to be leak tested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts