Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a bit of help with a small issue that has been hanging around for a while.

2006 Ridgeline, all stock with 137500 miles and is the daily driver.

About six months ago the dials on the HVAC controller started to jump around while adjusting the temp. and I decided to replace the whole unit. Also it seemed that the AC would stop working off and on. The fan would still move air but it was clear that the compressor was off. Then it would start up again on it's own maybe a minute of two later, sometimes five.

Four weeks ago I purchased a NOS HVAC controller for the Ridgeline still in the Honda box and replaced the original controller. Worked like a charm and the AC was working as it should and now we had precise control on the temperature adjustments as the old one was worn out.

Turns out the AC still likes to shut off on it's own once in a while and being a resident of the Tampa Bay FL area it can get a bit hot and humid.

It seems to me that perhaps a trip under the hood is in order. The way tjis is acting I suspect a loose wire but that seems to be a long shot when considering the wire harness. I also know that the Ridgeline has an AC sensor
used to send a message back to the system to regulate cabin temps. That has not been changed just the controller which seems to be doing its job just fine.

It has not been to the dealer for this issue.
Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
You might want to look into the A/C clutch relay. They are known to fail and Honda has come out with an updated version.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to the dealer Friday afternoon for a scope. I'll mention the clutch relay.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC has now quit working. When working the controls and asking for the air to engage I hear no sound that is typically made when the comp. engages to start the cycle.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
EDIT: All assuming that you have seat heaters.

The A/C clutch relay is under the hood. If I recall correctly, there is another relay which is interchangeable. I think it is the seat heater relay. You might try swapping the relays just to see if that solves the problem. If it does, buy the updated relay for the A/C clutch and put the other back where you found it.

Image courtesy of speedlever in another thread.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
there was a recall on the A/C unit for the wiring harness that plugs into the fan assembly on the right front passenger footwell (Behind and below the glovebox) melting. A search of this site will provide more details (At work on break).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts